PDA

View Full Version : "how do I get back in" Sgt and below

Pages : [1] 2

Petz
08-07-09, 12:28 PM
post your questions here for answers.

NoRemorse
08-07-09, 12:30 PM
What's the scoop on the maximum number of dependents you can have getting back in as a non-rate?

Petz
08-07-09, 12:36 PM
if you're married I think it's 3 - 4.... you're fine NM... one kid won't stop you.

single parent I think is 2... 3 needs a waiver.

NoRemorse
08-07-09, 12:38 PM
if you're married I think it's 3 - 4.... you're fine NM... one kid won't stop you.

single parent I think is 2... 3 needs a waiver.

Not for me, I routinely see different numbers on here regarding how many you can have and whether or not there's a waiver.

Thanks, SSgt.

Petz
08-07-09, 12:53 PM
as I said, the single parent thing is different... having kids with another parent is generally ok... so long as you don't have 8.

money is factored in on the waiver process too, so if the spouse has a job that improves your chances as well.

psyclopsus
08-07-09, 09:59 PM
I have 2 kids. I am not the custodial parent (they do not live with me.) I am not married nor have I ever been married. I pay child support and have never been behind on payments. The kids' mother will go spastic-insane when she finds out I'm trying to re-enlist.

Can she prevent me from going back in? Is there some paperwork that she absolutely MUST sign that she could simply refuse to sign and therefore totally fvck me over?

psyclopsus
08-07-09, 10:04 PM
SSgt Petz...Did the mods ever find your original "how do I get back in redux" thread? And what's the latest gouge about you getting back in...Anything new?

samthomas
08-07-09, 10:27 PM
I am 31, and have been out for 8 years. I separated as a Cpl, after 4 years. I am married, and have 2 children. I was an 0311, but wouldn't want to go back as that. Since separating, I have earned a B.A./M.A... While the thought of going back in is nice, I get less traction with the recruiter than the thisisrandy (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87572) fellow who is trying to enlist.

Petz
08-07-09, 11:49 PM
I have 2 kids. I am not the custodial parent (they do not live with me.) I am not married nor have I ever been married. I pay child support and have never been behind on payments. The kids' mother will go spastic-insane when she finds out I'm trying to re-enlist.

Can she prevent me from going back in? Is there some paperwork that she absolutely MUST sign that she could simply refuse to sign and therefore totally fvck me over?

I would say you are fine... so long as you don't claim them as dependents you are fine. you know the details you need to cover with friend of the court.

as for the paperwork, you can start on it at any-time from now until February '10 but it'll stay at your RS...

once they open up the flood gates those packages will be sent up to district and so forth.

It's best to have a photo in uniform, have run a HIGH PFT as competition is now getting strong.

make sure you have flexibility with your MOS choice as it'll end up being critical MOSs and if you don't qualify for one you may have missed out on another.

Petz
08-07-09, 11:51 PM
I am 31, and have been out for 8 years. I separated as a Cpl, after 4 years. I am married, and have 2 children. I was an 0311, but wouldn't want to go back as that. Since separating, I have earned a B.A./M.A... While the thought of going back in is nice, I get less traction with the recruiter than the thisisrandy (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87572) fellow who is trying to enlist.

It's because they know Sgts and below are being put on hold while the Corps is so overfull.

I'd suggest maybe going for O-1... they are still in high demand and I think as long as you are willing to go through a boot camp'esque environment again you will suceed.

it's probably your fastest route back in, and the money will be MUCH higher since you already got 4 years in...

Scubadvr1999
08-13-09, 08:20 AM
I am trying to go active from the smcr. I am stil a drilling reservist and I have over a year left on my contract. I have done all the peperwork n taken the interview and when I went to put my paperwork in they told me that the usmc isn't letting anymore reservists go active until Jan 1. This dosent make sence since our FY starts in oct. Can anyone help me with this.Buffalo RS said they called HQUSMC and they said the same thing,but I can't find any maradmin saying anything like this. Only that 2336 is in high demand, so why wouldn't they put me in?

Supersquishy
08-13-09, 08:25 AM
I am trying to go active from the smcr. I am stil a drilling reservist and I have over a year left on my contract. I have done all the peperwork n taken the interview and when I went to put my paperwork in they told me that the usmc isn't letting anymore reservists go active until Jan 1. This dosent make sence since our FY starts in oct. Can anyone help me with this.Buffalo RS said they called HQUSMC and they said the same thing,but I can't find any maradmin saying anything like this. Only that 2336 is in high demand, so why wouldn't they put me in?

Could you request to go active overseas? Afghani****s? Isnt radio operator in high demand, could you lat move?

Scubadvr1999
08-13-09, 08:31 AM
No they won't let me do anything. That's what I am trying to do is lat move and for a reservist trying to get on a deployment is almost imposible.

Supersquishy
08-13-09, 08:35 AM
No they won't let me do anything. That's what I am trying to do is lat move and for a reservist trying to get on a deployment is almost imposible.

Man that sucks, you might need to wait a few months til the Marines get the new budget.

Hey your in fredricksburg, is that B-25 with one engine missing still at that small Airport?

Petz
08-13-09, 08:57 AM

it's jan '10 because they are letting the AD Marines have first crack at all the billets... then you can compete for whats left or what opens up.

They don't think they will close out in june next year either... they figure it'll be open through the rest of the fiscal year...

but you'll need your conditional release (dd-368) sent up through your command, it should be dated to expire at the end of your Obligated contract... and once that's done and your package is completed it will sit at your RS until jan '10 when it's submitted up to district and so on.

but it's important to have everything completed properly so you can compete and not have to keep re-submitting your package.

Scubadvr1999
08-13-09, 01:32 PM
That's the thing. I already got my conditional release and it already expired! They gave me 3 months to turn it in. Well they gave me 6 mos to do it but it too almost 3 mos to get back from 4mardiv. Also I received the eod checksheet completed after my interview,do I turn that in with my package or do I give it to my career planner? Thanks for the help

Petz
08-13-09, 01:37 PM
you need to explain to them that the process can take up to two years and they need to make it longer.

either they let you go or they only give you a window.....

I dealt with my reserve command the same way... I had to drop to the IRR to get a conditional release that wouldn't expire.

samthomas
08-13-09, 02:08 PM
It's because they know Sgts and below are being put on hold while the Corps is so overfull.

I'd suggest maybe going for O-1... they are still in high demand and I think as long as you are willing to go through a boot camp'esque environment again you will suceed.

it's probably your fastest route back in, and the money will be MUCH higher since you already got 4 years in...

How difficult would it be to go for the reserves, if I was looking at a different MOS?

Scubadvr1999
08-13-09, 05:43 PM
you need to explain to them that the process can take up to two years and they need to make it longer.

either they let you go or they only give you a window.....

I dealt with my reserve command the same way... I had to drop to the IRR to get a conditional release that wouldn't expire.

Do you know of any maradmin thats says that augmenting marines from reserve to active is closed right now?

Petz
08-16-09, 05:47 PM
How difficult would it be to go for the reserves, if I was looking at a different MOS?

basically you go talk to the Prior Service recruiter at the unit you are thinking about going to (pick the closest one) and they will provide you with opportunities that they can offer for other MOSs they rate... there are also other units in the "area" that will rate other jobs as well... just, keep in mind... only Sgts and below get this option if they are coming off of AD... well, not directly off of AD... but you get my point.

Petz
08-16-09, 05:51 PM
Do you know of any maradmin thats says that augmenting marines from reserve to active is closed right now?

there never are MarAdmin... it's a command thing... MCRC is a command with all subordinate commands beneath them.... the commandant has no say as to where they will get that 1,000 people to fill billets.

but I did hear a rumor they are allowing prior reservists to augment to AD but not prior AD Sgt and below.

DataRetread
08-19-09, 08:30 PM
After the disappointment of being left out in the cold til January, I'm looking at other routes back in.

I talked with the Prior Service recruiter at Lejeune, and fortunately there are billets he thinks he can get me in for IMA and other Active Reserve roles without signing a contract, leaving me more available to submit a package for augmentation back into regular Active Duty.

Do you have any more information of programs like this SSgt?

Petz
08-20-09, 11:47 AM
no, I don't... but have your package submitted prior to you going on those programs... I'm hearing tell of a large opening for PSEP... it's rumor, can't be confirmed but jan '10 could be a good time to have your package already submitted and waiting at the RS level....

those billets are good to go... just, as I said... have your dd-368 done... don't extend or sign a new contract as you may run into a situation like I did.... my 368 expired but my recruiter didn't know I extended so to them it was a non-issue... but my package got kicked back by MCRC because of not having it.

you need to ensure that if you get word while in that billet you can walk away and take the AD orders... and get it in writing as word from a SNCO isn't always going to be enough... not that they would lie to you.

Marine1955
08-20-09, 11:52 AM
I think you should try O.C.S. As your a smart man who bettered himself.I would try there if you can get back in.

DataRetread
08-20-09, 12:54 PM
no, I don't... but have your package submitted prior to you going on those programs... I'm hearing tell of a large opening for PSEP... it's rumor, can't be confirmed but jan '10 could be a good time to have your package already submitted and waiting at the RS level....

My package was submitted in July, am I to assume that it just got kicked back to the recruiters and the onus is on me to have them resubmit it prior to Jan?

those billets are good to go... just, as I said... have your dd-368 done... don't extend or sign a new contract as you may run into a situation like I did.... my 368 expired but my recruiter didn't know I extended so to them it was a non-issue... but my package got kicked back by MCRC because of not having it.

Haven't heard of a DD-368. Also, my original (8 year) contract is set to expire in late January, what should I do in the event my contract expires before I get a response on my PSEP? Not sure of the relevance if I'm in an IMA billet.

you need to ensure that if you get word while in that billet you can walk away and take the AD orders... and get it in writing as word from a SNCO isn't always going to be enough... not that they would lie to you.

So I'm taking that as: Have you PSEP submitted, go for an IMA billet, but ensure that I'm not under any obligation to remain at that billet if/when I receive AD orders. Does that just about sum things up?

Thanks a lot SSgt.

Petz
08-20-09, 01:27 PM
My package was submitted in July, am I to assume that it just got kicked back to the recruiters and the onus is on me to have them resubmit it prior to Jan?

Haven't heard of a DD-368. Also, my original (8 year) contract is set to expire in late January, what should I do in the event my contract expires before I get a response on my PSEP? Not sure of the relevance if I'm in an IMA billet.

So I'm taking that as: Have you PSEP submitted, go for an IMA billet, but ensure that I'm not under any obligation to remain at that billet if/when I receive AD orders. Does that just about sum things up?

Thanks a lot SSgt.

1) it was either not sent up because june was the no Sgt and below and is still sitting there on their desk or yes it was kicked back... you don't need to worry about making them resubmit it... just call in december reminding them of your package... Then follow up often in janurary.

2) if your 8 years is up in feb '10 then you'd probably have to extend a bit for certain IMA billets or something... make sure you get a new DD-368 (conditional release form from MOBCOM so MCRC can work with you since they aren't your current command) with you new contract expiration date on it in case it takes longer than feb xx 2010 to be reviewed... my package was viewed and kicked back by the board because of the DD-368 was expired... don't miss out 'cause of that... either let yourself fall off contract or have that updated if you extend. your recruiter can get you more info.

3) yes.... that is correct, but I can only say good luck.

Osotogary
08-20-09, 01:47 PM
As of this afternoon, the word that I got from a Marine Corps Recruiting Office is that joining now or trying to get back in now would be difficult at this time. By now I mean becoming active now and/or being sent to MCRD as a recruit now. There seemed to be a little latitude for entry but that to was based, in part, on availability, MOS., OCS., etc.
I asked the National Guard Office about new entries and was told that they aren't accepting applicants at this time as per orders. Everyone seems totally "booked up" for now.
Please keep in mind that my inquiries were casual in nature and the responses seemed to reflect the same.

Petz
08-20-09, 01:52 PM
like I said.... jan '10... but the opening up is looking like this fiscal year... and the attrition rate for first termers is enormous this year... expect to have openings JAN OF 2010.

and again... it's hear-say... rumors... scuttle-butt.....

but have faith.

Supersquishy
08-20-09, 01:57 PM
lthe attrition rate for first termers is enormous this year... .
Is this more than normal than previous years?

Petz
08-20-09, 02:03 PM
yes... and by previous I mean the last few years...

they are going to be forcing a lot of Marines out due to MOS overages... many will get out because of not wanting to do it... an example is STW... and then they will also want to keep people coming in fresh so the ranks don't stop up so you'll see some MOSs have fewer boat spaces...

they can't have everyone stay in... then we'd have no junior Marines... they will however take PSEPs if you qualify... there will be shortages in NCOs as there always seem to be....

stay positive.

cmrodriguez84
08-25-09, 09:38 PM
I got out of active duty in june 07 with re 1. after that I went to the VA and got disabilities (30% PTSD and 10% tinnitis). Is there a way to surrender those disabilities and compensation payments and get back in. I'm actually looking at any branch that will take me just to increase my chances of serving again. What do you think?

Petz
08-25-09, 09:47 PM
if you wait until Jan (you can start the process now but it won't get submitted past the RS level until jan 2010) and try to get back in the Marine Corps.

you just need to explain what your disability is (as long as nothing is over 30% you're good to serve with it) and you're set. The VA will not require you to pay that money back, but you can't collet that and government money at the same time so you need to "suspend" your benefits until you are off contract again.

keep asking questions as they pop up as I am finishing this same process right now.

cmrodriguez84
08-26-09, 10:03 AM
So it's okay if it's 40% combined. How do I get by MEPs with that though, wouldn't I still have to process through them since I've been out for a little?

Petz
08-26-09, 05:01 PM
yeah, I have 70% combined. you need to have it on your reenlistment package anyways so they'll see it when they sit down with you and they'll ask you some questions... nothing to keep you from serving otherwise your RE code would be different. I was told that that's really important.

cmrodriguez84
08-26-09, 08:19 PM
Now, what if I am interested in going into another branch anyways? Is the process harder?

Petz
08-26-09, 08:32 PM
no, it's the same... but if you got IRR time you need to get a DD-368 from MOBCOM, but it needs to be submitted by your new recruiter.

you'd need one if you wanted back into the Corps anyways, but a DD-368 is a conditional release, MOBCOM will give this to anyone who asks... you won't be denied.

if you choose to go that route then there isn't any more we can help you with in this thread. I just gave you everything you need to know to start their process.

let us know if that's your decision.

Sergeant M
08-26-09, 08:50 PM
How do I get back into the "Ask a Marine" forums?

Petz
08-26-09, 09:04 PM
ask for forgiveness.... Humility can do people wonders.

tbooth2531
09-09-09, 10:19 AM
Here is my deal, I'm 39 now and have did 4 years from 1991-1995. A few months prior to my eas I was having a knee problem that needed to be looked at. I did my full term and was not medically...

Supersquishy
09-09-09, 11:10 AM
DOES ANYONE KNOW ID THERE IS A PRIOR SERVICE RECRUITER IN MY AREA (MAINE)

Semper Fi
Tim Booth
CPL USMC

Call a recruiter in your area and ask for the PSR contact number.
Good luck in your adventures, right now they are pretty darn full. You might have better luck with the Marine Reserves or unfortunately ARMY. Your going to need a Break in Service Waiver and possibly an Age waiver, Take your AD years and subtract that from your current age that will give you your (?) age. 28 is cut off for AD and 29 is cut off for Reserve(Marines). Good Luck!

PS let us know what you find out so Others know what they need to do in the Future.

mjw2876
09-10-09, 01:42 PM
I was just wondering if I could re-enlist with and entry level separation during SOI and an RE-3P code back in '95. Erroneous Enlistment was listed as the Narrative Reason for Separation.. The clicker is I'm 33, would an age waiver be moot?

Alisium
09-10-09, 02:06 PM

Good scoop, SSgt.

What's the age limit?

samthomas
09-10-09, 02:33 PM
RE-3P code Erroneous Enlistment

How did you get that?

Petz
09-10-09, 02:44 PM
Good scoop, SSgt.

What's the age limit?

reconstructed age of 35 for Prior Service. but I think that requires a waiver.

I picked that info up from one of the OCS bubbas in another thread.

mjw2876
09-11-09, 09:39 AM
How did you get that?

I had a foot problem b4 enlisting, had it waived, never bothered me till weeks into SOI, after sitting around waiting for SOI to actually begin, (got there Jan 1st, company didnt start training till around the 14th) Really have no idea what it means to this day.

Petz
09-11-09, 09:47 AM
they should have given you a Pg 11 counseling about it and you should have walked away understanding your prospects.

are you sure you didn't want the easy way out they offered to you?

NoRemorse
09-11-09, 10:17 AM
I had a foot problem b4 enlisting, had it waived, never bothered me till weeks into SOI, after sitting around waiting for SOI to actually begin, (got there Jan 1st, company didnt start training till around the 14th) Really have no idea what it means to this day.

Means you either took a walk or just sat there while the process started.

mjw2876
09-11-09, 10:58 AM
they should have given you a Pg 11 counseling about it and you should have walked away understanding your prospects.

are you sure you didn't want the easy way out they offered to you?

At 18-19 I probably was just confused by the whole process. Well according to my RE-3P code, I would need a COMNAVCRUITCOM WAIVER

fjmas1976
09-11-09, 11:22 AM
At 18-19 I probably was just confused by the whole process. Well according to my RE-3P code, I would need a COMNAVCRUITCOM WAIVER

I went through the whole process a couple years into Active Duty. Not only was I assigned the wrong RE Code (RE-3C for a phys. disability), I was never counseled about it with a page 11 entry. There never was a page 11 entry either. A lot of things were not explained to me at the time, and I didn't know or was confused by everything.:usmc:

EShepp
09-11-09, 01:44 PM
Im a 26yr old prior service guy looking to get back in active duty. I got out in 05 as a Cpl with an RE-1A reenlistment code. Im already past my IRR time. My MOS was 0811 but I would REALLY like to do something else. Can anybody tell me the course of action I should take at this time or the # of good prior service recruiter who will shoot me straight. As much info as I can get would be great as I am serious about this. Thanks for your time guys I appreciate it.

Petz
09-11-09, 04:30 PM
prior service recruiters are for reserves, if you want active duty goto your local recruiting office and tell them you want to get your package ready for Jan '10.

Scubadvr1999
09-13-09, 04:07 PM
Has anyone herd any new news about trying to active from reserve, other than just wait?

Petz
09-13-09, 05:37 PM
um, sorry. not really.

I'll try to ask and find out for you, but I think it's all the same as being PSEP.

Muztang11
09-21-09, 06:14 PM
reconstructed age of 35 for Prior Service. but I think that requires a waiver.

I picked that info up from one of the OCS bubbas in another thread.

As far as reserves go coming in as a prior service with no contract:
Reconstructed age of 32 or less requires an off contract waiver,The max cutoff is 35 years constructed and this requires the off contract waiver,and a physical to determine eligibility as well as a passing PFT before the package is submitted for re-enlistment.Over 35 (I believe) requires a CMC waiver for age.I will try and find the copy I have of the prior service recruiter's checklist,It lists all the requirements for re-enlistment in the reserves for each case by RE code and rank and age.

Petz
09-21-09, 09:16 PM
but we're talking about active duty not reserves in that case you quoted.

I appreciate the more specific gouge though.

TTX
09-22-09, 12:52 AM
A friendly reminder.

At this point your package should be sitting on the recruiter's desk and ready to submit for those Sgt and below who's seeking to get back in. Don't procrastinate!

CPLSNODGRASS
09-22-09, 05:18 AM

:!:no she can do nothing that deals with your career. you are in the clear... she cant sign chit that deals with your Marine Corps career:!:

Scubadvr1999
09-22-09, 05:31 PM
I wish it was as easy as just having it on the recruiters desk ready for them to turn it. I am about to put in for my 3rd conditional release from the reserves because they keep expiring. It takes almost 3 months from the time you submit them to receive them back and they are only good for 3 months after that.
On another note, i talked to a PS recruiter the other day that said that its only going to be open for senior sgt and ssgt in jan, and they wont accept sgts and below til the middle of 2010. only word of mouth but if its true its bs. Ive been trying to get into EOD for over 2 years now, all the paperworks done, now just waiting til the usmc decides that it wants to let ppl do a job that no one else does. makes no sense.

Petz
09-22-09, 05:38 PM
the official word is Sgts and below jan '10.

if it's word of mouth there is probably some truth to it, but SSgts can PSEP year round per the order.

and a Prior Service recruiter is for the reserves. you want to be talking to a recruiter.

as for the 368, they should be dating it up to the point that your contract expires. make sure you write that down on the request or have it conveyed some way like that so you don't have to keep wasting their time.

if you get a conditional release from the IRR that's what they do. can you drop to the IRR now? it'll save mucho time.

Scubadvr1999
09-22-09, 05:40 PM
No I have about 10 mos that I am Obligated for. and I am in the reserves.

Petz
09-22-09, 05:44 PM
yeah, I figured that you're in the reserves. They should date it up to the end of your contract (10 more months), I think they are wasting everyones time by not knowing that you need that up current until the board sees it, not just to do the paperwork.

if you can have the date requested on there then put it up until the ECC date. then send it up. Make sure you explain to them why you need it to be so far out.

I hade a 368 that expired and they kicked my package back the day of the board. Not nice for me.

Scubadvr1999
09-22-09, 05:45 PM
Also he said that i could get into AR in a month if i wanted to go that route. what is your point of view on AR vs Active. pros cons?

flyby
09-22-09, 09:58 PM
Also he said that i could get into AR in a month if i wanted to go that route. what is your point of view on AR vs Active. pros cons?

My last duty station was I & I and we had some AR Marines in the unit. It seemed like they were always complaining about promotions being slower for them. I remember it took this one SSgt forever to pick up Gunny due to the fact that he was AR and thus promotions were fewer.

Petz
09-23-09, 04:29 PM
There are limited billets for each rank, so even though you are on the other side of the country, some Sgt who waits for his 12 year mark to finally get out will prevent you from getting promoted.

it's a good stepping stone for you if you plan to go Active Duty eventually. But it's hard to make it a career like flyby has made that point clear.

Scubadvr1999
09-23-09, 04:56 PM
That was going to be my next question. If I did go AR now, how hard would it be to go to EOD after that. Since i would have to be school trained to go AR (whatever mos would be the best) would I be alowed to lat move after say a year?

Petz
09-23-09, 08:40 PM
you should be able to go AR as your current MOS. I don't know how many EOD billets they have but that's up to the AR monitor.

the monitor section is hidden behind a secure internet connection requiring a CAC card, but the phone number on the right should get you in contact with the AR monitor some how.

https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/portal/page?_pageid=278,1930929&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

they can (should/maybe) tell you if you could go EOD right from the get go or not.

SSgt McCord
10-15-09, 09:28 PM
Hey Petz, you ever get that package in ?

Petz
10-15-09, 10:24 PM
PM sent

Scubadvr1999
10-26-09, 03:01 PM
Hey has anybody herd anything about reservists still on contract going active?

Petz
10-26-09, 06:10 PM
yeah, that was me. I had AD time, but I was still on contract.

parmerds
10-31-09, 12:20 AM
I have read all the prior threads on getting back in and still have a few questions. Is infantry impossible to return to? I spoke to my prior service recruiter about my specifics and he said he didnt foresee any problems. But from what I have read on this forum they make prior service Marines jump through hoops.

I know every situation is different, however can anyone tell me exactly what my package needs to contain to be considered for re enlistment. Also if my area recruiter is gaffing me off, who do I need to address the situation with? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Semper Fi.

Petz
10-31-09, 01:33 PM
well, you say prior service recruiter like you're going into the reserves, is that correct?

As long as you have a Infantry unit near you it's a matter of getting your PSEP package together and signed off by your future command and it going up to MMEA-6 for approval. As a Sgt it should be a bit quicker, but you'll need to order your OMPF & MBS as well as have your DD-214 (all of them if you have more than one). Get those together and you should be able to get this done pretty quickly.

Wyoming
10-31-09, 01:58 PM
yeah, that was me. I had AD time, but I was still on contract.

Still confused.

You HAD AD time.

OK.

... but still on cotract.

Was that IRR?

Were you receiving a paycheck?

Are you now back on AD?

Petz
10-31-09, 02:02 PM
4 years AD, 4.5 Years in the reserves both IRR and SMCR (select Marine Corps reserve, or drilling reserve) then as of spet 11th I reenlisted back onto Active Duty. I hope that finally clears things up Al.

Wyoming
10-31-09, 02:03 PM
I see.

Where do they have you stationed now?

Petz
10-31-09, 02:07 PM
still waiting for orders, I have it on good authority to expect them sometime next week. I'm in MI still working for my recruiters. I've never envied recruiters but after seeing the crap they deal with at the higher levels, I down right feel sorry for them, not that they need it.

Supersquishy
10-31-09, 02:09 PM
still waiting for orders, I have it on good authority to expect them sometime next week. I'm in MI still working for my recruiters. I've never envied recruiters but after seeing the crap they deal with at the higher levels, I down right feel sorry for them, not that they need it.

Holy Squirts Still?!?!?! LOL no wonder your not online much, recruiters must be hogging the computers haha.

Wyoming
10-31-09, 02:12 PM

OK, so at least you are receiving a check.

You are receiving a check by now aren't you?

Petz
10-31-09, 02:27 PM
yes, a very nice check.

Wyoming
10-31-09, 02:41 PM
OK, a question or two.

You are a SSgt, on Active Duty, in the United States Marine Corps, re-enlisted since 11 September 2009, on recruiting duty, drawing a regular active duty paycheck, awaiting orders, from someone, to somewhere. Yes??

Don't you find it strange that the Corps would let you back in on AD, with nowhere to go?

Petz
10-31-09, 04:13 PM
No, the monitors need to find a spot for me. They don't authorize reenlistment with orders awaiting.

Wyoming
10-31-09, 04:22 PM
OK, let me try to wrap my pea brain around this one more time.

You are not, as yet, on active duty. True/False
You are not, as yet, collecting a regular paycheck. True/False

Petz
10-31-09, 04:38 PM
I have signed the AD contract and I am getting a pay check. I DO NOT have my orders to my new unit. The Monitor has to find out where the Corps needs me then write me orders to there. My monitor has close to 20,000 Marines he needs to worry about, so I don't feel slighted by him taking any period of time at all.

Scubadvr1999
11-01-09, 10:49 AM
Has anyone herd any new news about the usmc letting reservists go active recentally. i have talked to prior service recrutiers saying that the usmc isnt. but it seems that as of the new FY they are...anyone know what is going on?

Petz
11-01-09, 02:39 PM
you would be considered a PSEP, you would need to talk to a recruiter. If you approach them now they will start working on your package, there are docs you need to get together and they know this will take some time. Go see them tomorrow and they'll get you as ready as they can for Jan.

DevilDog438
11-02-09, 07:13 PM
Just curiosity at this point - if I was seriously considering trying to get back in, is it worth it?

Prior Service: USMC(R) 1990-1995
Prior MOS: Base 3000

I was a 90-day reservist when I went in. Desert Shield kicked off while I was at PI. After Desert Storm, my unit advised all of the 90-dayers that the budget was rescinded and we would not be sent to our schools during summer '91. We were supposed to be OJT'd. However, in the winter of 1994 I was advised that I was not eligible for OJT and would be admin separated in 1995 for lack of MOS certification.

Looking back, I was a stupid mid-20's kid and did not put up a fight. Looking forward, I have been an IT specialist for the past 13 years, with multiple certifications and a clearance. If I were to come back in, I would like to go into an MOS that allows me to use my experiences for the benefit of the Corps (I do Cisco Unified Communications stuff as a career).

Like I said, I am just curious. I am fairly certain it is a crapshoot longshot, with lottery-winning odds.

Petz
11-02-09, 09:35 PM
need more info. How old were you when you got out, how many years did you serve on active duty and if you do the math, the maximum age is 29, so you'd have had to have had 10 years on active duty.

DevilDog438
11-02-09, 09:51 PM
Like I said, thought it was a long shot, but did not have the rules.

Only AD time was basic training and a single AT. 4 satisfactory reserve years and out at 25. Was hopeful that my skillset would override any age restrictions, but was fairly certain someone was going to tell me impossible. No harm in asking the question for informational purposes, IMO. Would have looked at coming back in as a reservist again, but getting the understanding that it would be a formidable impossibility.

Petz
11-02-09, 10:19 PM
no, no harm at all. I'm sorry it wasn't what you wanted to hear.

The Marine Corps is tight as it is with personnel. what you could do is be a civilian Marine. Find a job for the Corps as a civilian.

DevilDog438
11-02-09, 10:25 PM
The company that I currently work for does a fair amount of business in support of Corps objectives. I have taught Marines in the past year, as well as installing gear for them, with more on tap for the coming FY.

Thanks again, Devil Dog, for all the information on this thread.

Supersquishy
11-03-09, 05:03 AM
Just curiosity at this point - if I was seriously considering trying to get back in, is it worth it?

Prior Service: USMC(R) 1990-1995
Prior MOS: Base 3000

I was a 90-day reservist when I went in. Desert Shield kicked off while I was at PI. After Desert Storm, my unit advised all of the 90-dayers that the budget was rescinded and we would not be sent to our schools during summer '91. We were supposed to be OJT'd. However, in the winter of 1994 I was advised that I was not eligible for OJT and would be admin separated in 1995 for lack of MOS certification.

Looking back, I was a stupid mid-20's kid and did not put up a fight. Looking forward, I have been an IT specialist for the past 13 years, with multiple certifications and a clearance. If I were to come back in, I would like to go into an MOS that allows me to use my experiences for the benefit of the Corps (I do Cisco Unified Communications stuff as a career).

Like I said, I am just curious. I am fairly certain it is a crapshoot longshot, with lottery-winning odds.

Talk to a recruiter and go from there. You might have a chance. You also might have a even better chance going Reserves. I know the sheet I signed asked if my constructive age was 34 and under. which suprised me because I thought the age cut off was 29 for the reserves. worst case senario would be a off-contract waiver and age waiver. But it doesnt hurt you to ask the Recruiter, its there job anyways. I say go for it!

Petz
11-03-09, 08:57 AM
actually, I didn't think about that... You might be able to do that. Your time in the reserves will subtract off your age and you separation might help with the reasoning for a waiver. Yeah go talk to a PSR and see what's up.

MontezumaCpl
11-04-09, 10:22 PM
Go for it, Marine!

Thinblueline81
11-17-09, 12:30 PM
I'll try and make this as simple to understand as I can, without complicating the situation. <br />
<br />
I am a prior service Marine, now serving in the Army National Guard as a E-5/Sgt. My DD214 from the...

Petz
11-17-09, 01:09 PM
it really depends on what your DD-214 from the guard says. The last DD-214 tends to hold the most weight, even still the RE-1 is not a game ender, it's when you have it RE-2 and below that it holds you up as they need to be upgraded.

Thinblueline81
11-17-09, 02:03 PM
it really depends on what your DD-214 from the guard says. The last DD-214 tends to hold the most weight, even still the RE-1 is not a game ender, it's when you have it RE-2 and below that it holds you up as they need to be upgraded.

What if any diffrence is there between the RE-1 and RE-1A? Also would I have a DD214 from the Guard if I did the inter service transfer?

Petz
11-18-09, 07:39 PM
well, in order for you to do an inter service transfer you'd need a DD-368 and I believe you'd need to get a DD-214 from them as well so they know what kind of service you provided (good or bad) so...

HurricaneRJ
11-18-09, 07:59 PM
Question: Let's say I get admin sep which is a general discharge in my case. Would my RE code would be bad enough where as I couldn't join the Army or another branch?

elliscraig12
11-18-09, 11:25 PM
I've been out since 93. I was in for 10 yrs as 2111. Can I still get in

elliscraig12
11-18-09, 11:35 PM
[quote=elliscraig12;572312]I've been out since 93. I was in for 10 yrs as 2111. Can I still re-enlist. And can I change my MOS.

Petz
11-19-09, 05:37 PM
Ellis, How old are you, what was your rank, and why was it for only 10 years and not 8 or 12?

RJ, there's nothing from stopping you from getting back in the Corps let alone the Army if you upgraded your RE code. Why is it an admin sep and not a med sep?

elliscraig12
11-19-09, 10:34 PM
Petz;572556- I was an E-5. Why 10? Just worked out that way. <br />
<br />
RJ- RE-1, I got an honorable discharge. I talked to the local recruiter today and he basically told me to talk to the Army. Too many...

fjmas1976
11-20-09, 12:40 AM
Ellis:
If your case involves the PS Recruiter having to do any work on your behalf, you can pretty much forget it. If your circumstance involves the slightest bit of extra effort for them, they want no part of it. I speak from experience here.

Semper Fi and good luck:usmc:

Petz
11-20-09, 08:38 AM
maybe it's because you don't listen, I asked you how old you are.

elliscraig12
11-20-09, 04:27 PM
maybe it's because you don't listen, I asked you how old you are.

O.K. I missed that part. I'm 45.

Twitchell
11-22-09, 12:58 AM
Ssgt. Petz. I was wondering if you know what all I would need to do to reenlist into the Reserves (the PSR checklist you talked about). I was a Lcpl. I have an Honorable discharge with an RE-3p for...

elliscraig12
11-22-09, 09:38 AM
O.K. I missed that part. I'm 45.
I apologize for missing your question Ssgt. I take it I'm to old.

Supersquishy
11-22-09, 09:42 AM
No disrespect, but I believe you can go into the Army National Guard.

elliscraig12
11-22-09, 06:45 PM
No disrespect, but I believe you can go into the Army National Guard.
No disrespect taken. Thanks for your time.

Dominiclicata
11-23-09, 01:00 AM
EAS was July 2009. 22 years old, RE-1a, E-4. From what I've ready I should begin a package with recruiters so that when Jan 2010 comes they can send it up? What are my chances of keeping my MOS(0311), returning to my previous unit(1/4), and keeping my rank? I apologize if most of this information has been covered.

fjmas1976
11-23-09, 10:57 AM
No disrespect taken. Thanks for your time.
I have been speaking with an Army Recruiter and starting the process of enlisting in the Army Reserve. No offense meant to any Marine, but this recruiter has been 10 times better than any Marine Corps Prior Service Recruiter I spoke/dealt with. He calls me with updates when he gets them, returns my phone calls and e-mails, and has generally put forth a lot of effort. The Army Recruiter is also acting much more professional towards me and not treating me like garbage.

The USMC PS Recruiters I dealt with never called me, didn't return phone calls or emails, and pretty much didn't want to do anything to help me or help my process. He wasn't on top of things and was pretty lazy.

My experience with the USMC Prior Service Recruiter was pretty depressing. I like to think the words "Semper Fi" mean something......I didn't see that in my experience.

Again, no offense meant to any Marines or Recruiters. This is just my experience and opinion.:usmc:

elliscraig12
11-23-09, 04:14 PM
I have been speaking with an Army Recruiter and starting the process of enlisting in the Army Reserve. No offense meant to any Marine, but this recruiter has been 10 times better than any Marine Corps Prior Service Recruiter I spoke/dealt with. He calls me with updates when he gets them, returns my phone calls and e-mails, and has generally put forth a lot of effort. The Army Recruiter is also acting much more professional towards me and not treating me like garbage.

The USMC PS Recruiters I dealt with never called me, didn't return phone calls or emails, and pretty much didn't want to do anything to help me or help my process. He wasn't on top of things and was pretty lazy.

My experience with the USMC Prior Service Recruiter was pretty depressing. I like to think the words "Semper Fi" mean something......I didn't see that in my experience.

Again, no offense meant to any Marines or Recruiters. This is just my experience and opinion.:usmc:
I had a simular experience. You'd think after 10 yrs of honorable service they'd listen. They wouldn't give me the time of day.

fjmas1976
11-24-09, 12:26 AM
I had a simular experience. You'd think after 10 yrs of honorable service they'd listen. They wouldn't give me the time of day.
I was really disapointed. I would much rather had them say they couldn't help instead of minimum effort and treating me like i have the plague

leutenantpussy
11-24-09, 01:21 AM
How do I get back in!!!!!!!! I haven't stuck it in my wife for ohhhhhhhh so long I need to get the juices flowing again, any darn advice is super duper appreciated

Thinblueline81
11-24-09, 07:57 AM
I am going to assume that if I get my entire packet together, to include all forms, photo, and other required paperwork..it would make it that much more appealing for a PSR to work with me.

Any comments or personal experiences with this tactic?

Petz
11-26-09, 02:50 PM

haven't been on in a bit, unfortunately yes you are too old unless you served 16 years.

Petz
11-26-09, 02:53 PM
you want to PM NoRemorse about getting your RE code changed, he's the resident know it all about that since he went through it. <br />
<br />
after that it's true that it's nothing more than a waiver and a PSEP...

Petz
11-26-09, 02:55 PM
I am going to assume that if I get my entire packet together, to include all forms, photo, and other required paperwork..it would make it that much more appealing for a PSR to work with me.

Any comments or personal experiences with this tactic?

most of everything needs to be done by the PSR anyways, best thing you can do it be clean shaven, wear appropriate civilian attire and be ready to run a PFT on the spot when you show up.

Supersquishy
11-26-09, 03:02 PM
Anyone have a list of places the package goes through? My PSR told me but It was confusing on where and why it goes to those places. He says that it could be kicked back for any stupid reason including having an ugly mug in the photo, and to expect at least one kickback anytime.

Twitchell
11-26-09, 11:05 PM
you want to PM NoRemorse about getting your RE code changed, he's the resident know it all about that since he went through it.

after that it's true that it's nothing more than a waiver and a PSEP package. You can do AD after jan '10 but it'll go fast and your paperwork probably won't be done by then, but reserves has way more openings than that. That PSR must be an idiot as they can write guys who've fallen off contract just like a normal recruiter, though I think he didn't want to do the extra leg work.

keep me posted on your progress.

That's what I thought! Outstanding..... I appreciate all of your help Ssgt. Will do. Semper Fi, and Happy Turkey Day! :flag:

Petz
11-28-09, 01:34 AM
Anyone have a list of places the package goes through? My PSR told me but It was confusing on where and why it goes to those places. He says that it could be kicked back for any stupid reason including having an ugly mug in the photo, and to expect at least one kickback anytime.

well, if it's like I think it is, all PSRs fall under the 9th recruiting district (or some other district) so it's very similar to what I went through. Goes to the gaining command (as the RS) then once approved there it goes to district then to ERR/WRR then to MMEA-6 and back down. But I'm not sure if non-SNCOs have to go up to MMEA-6 or not... probably do as it's the monitor section.

and yes, if someone doesn't like the way the package looks it'll get kicked back. happened to me about 12 times, once for each month I waited.

adtrevino
11-28-09, 02:13 AM
I came back from my third tour last July and EAS out of the CORPS as a SGT and joined the ARMY Ive been in the Army a year and between them messing their paperwork up and screwing my pay up severly .I wann know if I'd be able to rejoin my old unit as an e5 or if I would have to go back to recruit training even.I've only bveen out since July 2008 i heard theres like a 5 year window to come on home the where I belong the Army is a horrible establishment I'd rather go back to the grunts chewing dirt like I use too

Petz
11-28-09, 05:31 AM
uh, no you wouldn't go back through RECRUIT training as an E5.

as for you getting out of your army contract... probably no dice. but you'd need a dd-368

adtrevino
11-28-09, 06:27 AM
I could get the dd 368 my question is do i have to go to recruit training again even though i've only been out a year or do i just go to the reserve unit and getanother contract

Thinblueline81
11-29-09, 09:15 AM
Ok....update, apparently I am good to go on the re-enlistment because they don't really go by the discharge characterization but rather the RE code. <br />
<br />
I am facing a deployment in early 2010. I...

Thinblueline81
11-29-09, 11:28 AM
Also, I have my OMPF. What are pages 3, 11, 12 and CRCR? Those are the things I need, however my OMPF is broken down into many different folders.

Supersquishy
11-29-09, 11:30 AM
Also, I have my OMPF. What are pages 3, 11, 12 and CRCR? Those are the things I need, however my OMPF is broken down into many different folders.

If you have it on CD, then your PSR or Recruiter will handle it for you, but make sure you give him the correct passcode and make darn sure you make a copy for yourself!!!!!!

Petz
11-29-09, 01:58 PM
I could get the dd 368 my question is do i have to go to recruit training again even though i've only been out a year or do i just go to the reserve unit and getanother contract

Ok, so I thought you'd pick up on my emphasizing the RECRUIT part of recruit training. Why would you think a Sgt would have to go back through it?

You can join the AD component if you wanted to give it a go. Just go talk to a recruiter (doesn't need to be a prior service recruiter) near you and they'll get to work on the DD-368 with you.

Petz
11-29-09, 02:04 PM
your recruiter needs the DD-368 conditional release in order to work with you as you DO belong to another unit/branch/component. Once they have that they can only work with you for however long the...

Thinblueline81
11-29-09, 02:12 PM
Thank you Staff Sergeant Petz. Do you happen to know what documents the Page 3, 11, and 12 and CRCR are? I'm trying to get that stuff put aside right now.

Petz
11-29-09, 08:05 PM
well, if you've ever heard of a page 11 or NJP then you know what the page 11 and 12 are respectively. the page three should have something to do with something else.... can't remember without looking at mine. the CRCR is a report on how many days you were active duty/drill/special duty. It just fell the way it did that I had 5 years of qualifying years of service since I had more than 50 days into my last year to count towards a year towards a reserve retirement.

Thinblueline81
11-29-09, 08:23 PM
I see, I figured the Page 11 was disciplinary related, but wasn't positive. CRCR sounds like the retirement points paperwork. Anyway, thanks for your help

NoRemorse
11-30-09, 09:48 AM
I ain't seen it yet so I'll ask it. well actually I think I have seen it but didn't put two and two together.

Is there a specific pathway to go Active after fulfilling a Reserve contract? Or are you just shooting for AR or some other duty wherever your Reserve unit is?

Petz
12-01-09, 12:55 AM
are you asking someone a question? I'm kinda confused. I'm going to pretend that you're asking me about your career path after your reserve contract.

after you finish your reserve contract and you pay-grade allows you to serve 48 months consecutively without meeting your high tenure then you are able to put in a PSEP package for AD component, so long as you're Sgt or below it will be a quick painless process. Anything higher it will take time and you'll end up losing part of your sanity.

You CAN go AR if you so choose but promotions suck in the AR and I'd recommend against it if you want to do this job for real.

I hope this helped.

Petz
12-01-09, 12:57 AM
I see, I figured the Page 11 was disciplinary related, but wasn't positive. CRCR sounds like the retirement points paperwork. Anyway, thanks for your help

SEE I know you knew what I knew I meant but couldn't spit out properly. It is the retirement points sheet. and yeah, I figured you were aware of the page 11 but weren't sure. not many people know about the page 12 as NJPs though.

keep in mind that page 11s can be positive too, meritorious masts are page 11 entries as are cir-coms.

NoRemorse
12-01-09, 07:38 AM
are you asking someone a question? I'm kinda confused. I'm going to pretend that you're asking me about your career path after your reserve contract.

after you finish your reserve contract and you pay-grade allows you to serve 48 months consecutively without meeting your high tenure then you are able to put in a PSEP package for AD component, so long as you're Sgt or below it will be a quick painless process. Anything higher it will take time and you'll end up losing part of your sanity.

You CAN go AR if you so choose but promotions suck in the AR and I'd recommend against it if you want to do this job for real.

I hope this helped.

Just to make sure I'm tracking properly, at Sgt or below entering the PSEP process I'm basically competing for a re-enlistment slot?

I'm gonna go google this stuff some more.

Petz
12-01-09, 11:57 AM
um, you're competing for a boat space, and there are all sorts of MOSs that you can ask for. go talk to your recruiter.

Twitchell
12-01-09, 01:25 PM
Ssgt Petz, or whomever might know. I'm kind of confused on one thing. I've been researching till I puke. Do I need to get an RE code waiver, or request to change my RE code, or is it the same thing? Some things are saying with a RE3P you just need a waiver!
I sent in a request to the National Service Records center for a copy of my service record. Will they send me my whole service record or just a copy of my DD214. Do I need to request something else? I have my whole medical record already.
I got an email from them today saying that they haven't received my information to date. So they forwarded my request to HQMC, and it should take a month.

I'm not trying to be a pain, I'm just trying to save as much time as possible giving I don't have much before I'm screwed. Thanks, Twitch....

NoRemorse
12-01-09, 01:35 PM
You're probably going to go the waiver route unless you've got the grounds to have your RE code upgraded. In that case you can petition BCNR with whatever corroborating evidence you've got.

Twitchell
12-01-09, 01:42 PM
Oh I think I see. Is the waiver easier? Is that what we were talking about when I PM'd you?

NoRemorse
12-01-09, 01:59 PM
Oh I think I see. Is the waiver easier? Is that what we were talking about when I PM'd you?

We were talking about going to BCNR to change your RE code. Is the waiver easier? I believe the wait time for one may be shorter as a packet to BCNR takes at least a month.

Consider your question dodged :marine:

Twitchell
12-01-09, 02:07 PM
Ha Ha.... copy that.
I'll just keep trying to figure it out then. Does anyone else know? Maybe ummmm Sgt. Petz. :D

Man people are going to start to see my name and be like, "where are your parents". Lol:yes:

Twitchell
12-01-09, 02:39 PM
My bad I meant SSGT!

Petz
12-01-09, 08:24 PM
I'd say go the proper route and have your RE code changed, it'll make your chances better for reenlistment. I'd also be willing to bet the waiver is meant for having had those issues and consulted to healthy status.

no matter what you need an RE 1a for them to get you in.

Twitchell
12-02-09, 12:09 AM
I see, thanks Ssgt. In fact after looking around a bit more it almost sounds like they are one in the same. Like one leads up to the other. POSSIBLY! I'm going to go talk to a VA rep here in Cedar on Thursday when he's in, and see what he can do. In the mean time I'm going to set up an appointment for a specialist, and I'm getting all of my medical record and what not together from the time I got out, so if they ask for them I'll have them handy.
Any way, thanks again! Have a good night. SF

Petz
12-02-09, 03:10 AM
si, no problemo senior.

so, if I recall you're wanting reserves?

good luck and call people back super often.

Twitchell
12-02-09, 02:00 PM
si, no problemo senior.

so, if I recall you're wanting reserves?

good luck and call people back super often.

Yea... I'm wanting Reserves.
I'm definitely planning on being persistent. We'll see what happens.;)

Petz
12-02-09, 10:11 PM
Twitch.... just got some new motivating word, you can get a waiver for a RE-3p since you're a PSEP. Good job. I was wrong before. Now if you don't get the waiver then you'll need to upgrade your stuff, so go get to work on the waiver process with your PSR/Recruiter.

EDIT: this waiver thing applies for AD as well.

NoRemorse
12-02-09, 11:47 PM
No comprendo. Parts of this thread intimate that PSEP is for entering the Reserves only.

Realigning my BHG in 5...

Twitchell
12-03-09, 01:06 AM
Twitch.... just got some new motivating word, you can get a waiver for a RE-3p since you're a PSEP. Good job. I was wrong before. Now if you don't get the waiver then you'll need to upgrade your stuff, so go get to work on the waiver process with your PSR/Recruiter.

Outstanding Ssgt. :cool:
I can't find the page I read that on though d****t! Is it just the medical waver? Or two separate wavers, one for the medical and one for the RE code, or which one comes first, do you know?
I wish I could print off that page, or find something that say it so when the PSR says no, I can say it says right here. I'll keep looking. Thanks again.... Twitch

NoRemorse
12-03-09, 05:39 AM
Both. Don't know the order off hand.

Petz
12-03-09, 06:45 AM
it's a waiver for the RE-3P which means it's waiving your medical condition too.

PSEP is for AD and Reserves, but if you're OFF contract then you need to PSEP into the reserves instead of attaching to a reserve unit while in the IRR.

NoRemorse
12-03-09, 07:11 AM
Wouldn't you possibly still need a waiver at the MEPS level for medical conditions even with a reenlistment code waiver?

DocGreek
12-03-09, 07:42 AM
Looks like a NEW Forum needs to be started...we'll call it..."Petz's Place"!!!

NoRemorse
12-03-09, 07:54 AM
The Petz Dispenser?

Supersquishy
12-03-09, 07:56 AM
The Petz Dispenser?

HAHA!

hanslergf
12-03-09, 08:41 AM
it's a waiver for the RE-3P which means it's waiving your medical condition too.

PSEP is for AD and Reserves, but if you're OFF contract then you need to PSEP into the reserves instead of attaching to a reserve unit while in the IRR.

I am OFF contract and my eventual goal is to be back on Active Duty but i know it is full right now and closed till January. A few months ago a PSR said i could go AR, but i needed to take care of an issue first. Now i am all squared away and called back to the PSR and found out he is retiring this month. I spoke with his boss about my situation and he said since i am off contract I can't go straight in to AR, i can only go in the regular reserves. He mentioned something about "drilling out", also mentioned needed a CO recommendation letter? He really confused me, does any of this sound familiar?

He sounded really eager to help and gave me all his contact info. He said he would call me back after calling another recuiter. I'm excited to start the process but also confused!

Supersquishy
12-03-09, 09:29 AM
I am OFF contract and my eventual goal is to be back on Active Duty but i know it is full right now and closed till January. A few months ago a PSR said i could go AR, but i needed to take care of an issue first. Now i am all squared away and called back to the PSR and found out he is retiring this month. I spoke with his boss about my situation and he said since i am off contract I can't go straight in to AR, i can only go in the regular reserves. He mentioned something about "drilling out", also mentioned needed a CO recommendation letter? He really confused me, does any of this sound familiar?

He sounded really eager to help and gave me all his contact info. He said he would call me back after calling another recuiter. I'm excited to start the process but also confused!

Yeah its pretty full for AD right now, so the opening slots in Jan is true, however they are still doing off-contract waivers for the Reserve side right now.

You will need your OMPF, copy of drivers license, current picture of yourself in Charlies, or propper civilian attire at 45 angle at the POA from shoes to top of head. SSN copy, Physical(try and get one from a reserve unit Navy or your going to have to go to MEPS, not fun) and a meet and greet with the 1stSGT and CO for a recommendation letter. All for the PSR. Plus a few forms to sign stating you aren't in trouble with the law, meet the age requirements, etc. etc. Keep us POSTED! (for the Reserves anyways)

Once you get into the Reserves then you can request AR. thats from what Ive been told anyways, after a few years in the Reserves you can request AD.

LCPLBYLER
12-03-09, 10:00 AM
Are AR packages not being accepted until after January 1st?

hanslergf
12-03-09, 11:06 AM
Yeah its pretty full for AD right now, so the opening slots in Jan is true, however they are still doing off-contract waivers for the Reserve side right now.

You will need your OMPF, copy of drivers license, current picture of yourself in Charlies, or propper civilian attire at 45 angle at the POA from shoes to top of head. SSN copy, Physical(try and get one from a reserve unit Navy or your going to have to go to MEPS, not fun) and a meet and greet with the 1stSGT and CO for a recommendation letter. All for the PSR. Plus a few forms to sign stating you aren't in trouble with the law, meet the age requirements, etc. etc. Keep us POSTED! (for the Reserves anyways)

Once you get into the Reserves then you can request AR. thats from what Ive been told anyways, after a few years in the Reserves you can request AD.

Thanks for the info! I requested my OMPF this Monday so I'm waiting for that to arrive. So thats all I can do for now? All the rest the PSR has to do? Sounds like I could get most of that done. The PSR did say it should be a pretty painless process. I just wasn't sure what exactly what the process for the whole reserves/active reserves is. I'm just wondering what my best chance is, I kind of feel like I should atleast try for active duty first, if its a no go then go in to the reserves.

Nothing against the Reserves, its just not what i want, but I'll take it if thats my only option.

I should of never got out. :mad:

Supersquishy
12-03-09, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the info! I requested my OMPF this Monday so I'm waiting for that to arrive. So thats all I can do for now? All the rest the PSR has to do? Sounds like I could get most of that done. The PSR did say it should be a pretty painless process. I just wasn't sure what exactly what the process for the whole reserves/active reserves is. I'm just wondering what my best chance is, I kind of feel like I should atleast try for active duty first, if its a no go then go in to the reserves.

Nothing against the Reserves, its just not what i want, but I'll take it if thats my only option.

I should of never got out. :mad:

Yea, and expect to play the waiting games too. Hound the crap out of your PSR or Recruiter, once they see that your Off-Contract your automatically put on the back burner as they are busy trying to get Marines already on IRR back in! I think they see waivers as a form of a pain in the ass, even though its their job.

NoRemorse
12-03-09, 11:18 AM
Whatever other issues there might be if you're off-contract you don't get first dibs.

First-term in the IRR gets a crack at it before we do.

Supersquishy
12-03-09, 11:24 AM
Whatever other issues there might be if you're off-contract you don't get first dibs.

First-term in the IRR gets a crack at it before we do.
Which I think is BS, especially for the Reserves. Its not like everyone wants to be a reservist in this economy.

Twitchell
12-03-09, 02:24 PM

Awesome! I'm assuming if he's willing, a non PS Recruiter could help me with it? He just couldn't actually put me through MEPS and what not right? It's just that I'm 250 miles away from the PSR in Utah, and there is a non PSR right here in Cedar City. And that PSR is the same one that was feeding me all of the BS before. I think it's allot easier to turn people away over the phone than it is in person. I'm just hoping that I can get the waiver possibly before I talk to him.:idea:

Twitchell
12-03-09, 02:28 PM
Oh yeah..... do I need to request my OMPF for the waiver? If so what is the quickest way? Sorry..... Semper FI

Petz
12-03-09, 02:41 PM

they are starting the PSEP packages for AD right now! go find a local RECRUITER to start it so when Jan comes around they just have to submit it. I would say go today and they'll start working you.

worse case, they give your package to the PSR and you'll have practically everything he needs done already.

Anyways, AR is slow promoting.

Petz
12-03-09, 02:45 PM
Awesome! I'm assuming if he's willing, a non PS Recruiter could help me with it? He just couldn't actually put me through MEPS and what not right? It's just that I'm 250 miles away from the PSR in Utah, and there is a non PSR right here in Cedar City. And that PSR is the same one that was feeding me all of the BS before. I think it's allot easier to turn people away over the phone than it is in person. I'm just hoping that I can get the waiver possibly before I talk to him.:idea:

I think a normal recruiter is capable of putting you into the reserves, but you'd have to ask them. If you're still in the IRR I'd say no.

I have the way to request your OMPF somewhere in the VA forums or earlier in this thread. that's the easiest way.

NoRemorse
12-03-09, 02:50 PM
I think a normal recruiter is capable of putting you into the reserves, but you'd have to ask them. If you're still in the IRR I'd say no.

I have the way to request your OMPF somewhere in the VA forums or earlier in this thread. that's the easiest way.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74872

Or:

How to request your Official Military Personnel File(OMPF)...

Active duty Regular or Reserve component Marines with valid “.MIL” email accounts that are currently under contract, provide the required information (see below) and send your email inquiries from your official military email account to smb.manpower.mmsb@usmc.mil (smb.manpower.mmsb@usmc.mil). You must fax, scan, or mail your signed request if a “.MIL” email account is not available to:
Headquarters U.S. Marine Corps (MMSB-10)
2008 Elliot Road
Quantico,Virginia, 22134-5030

Fax: DSN 278-5792 / 3900, COMM 703-784-5792 / 3900

A Records Request Form located in the Forms Section is available if you are required to fax, scan, or mail your request for records. OMPF/MBS mailed to an address other than your unit or home mailing address shown in MCTFS, must be faxed, scanned, or mailed and contain YOUR SIGNATURE.

Required Information
- Full name
- Social Security Number
- Complete unit or home mailing address. If providing a unit address, include
one of the following: PO Box #, Box #, PSC Box #, Unit #, or street # and street name.

Specify if you want a copy of your:
- OMPF
- MBS
- **Reporting Senior Profile
- **Reviewing Officer Profile

** MMSB will provide a copy of the RS or RO Profile to the RS or RO only

Supersquishy
12-03-09, 02:53 PM
https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/portal/page?_pageid=278,1963381&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

There is a proper proceedure listed you need to fill out, SIGN and fax or Mail, I would mail it certified to make sure it gets there. Took me 2 weeks to get and its all on a CD, make sure you copy the CD as backup.

Twitchell
12-03-09, 03:19 PM

That would be awesome if I could just go through the recruiter here. I just thought it was a Prior Service going AD could go through a regular Recruiter, and going into Reserves had to go through a PSR. But I will check to make sure and let you guys know.

https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/portal..._schema=PORTAL (https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/portal/page?_pageid=278,1963381&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL)

There is a proper proceedure listed you need to fill out, SIGN and fax or Mail, I would mail it certified to make sure it gets there. Took me 2 weeks to get and its all on a CD, make sure you copy the CD as backup.

I think that is the same thing I already requested, but all I asked for is my Full Service record. I got the Signature verification about 3-4 days ago by email. But the National Records department said they didn't have my records so they forwarded it to HQMC. I guess I'll wait and see what they send me. If they just send me a copy of my DD-214 I'll be very upset. Oh well.... I guess we'll see.

Thanks for all of your replies Devils!

Supersquishy
12-03-09, 03:39 PM
They list a 1-800 number if you need to talk to them to make sure your getting what you requested, no sense in waisting weeks of your time if you could just call them on their dime..lol

Twitchell
12-03-09, 04:35 PM
Lol.... awesome! I didn't even see that. Good call Cpl. Man I feel like an idiot sometimes.

I just called em but they're closed. I'll have to call them tommarow!

hanslergf
12-04-09, 01:19 PM
they are starting the PSEP packages for AD right now! go find a local RECRUITER to start it so when Jan comes around they just have to submit it. I would say go today and they'll start working you.

worse case, they give your package to the PSR and you'll have practically everything he needs done already.

Anyways, AR is slow promoting.

G'Afternoon Gents!

So today at lunch I went to the nearest recruiting office (two in the area). Walked in and went straight to the SSGT on his iPhone. I introduced myself and my situation. He said I would have to come back after January 1st to start my package. His rereasoning being that MEPS will not want to do a phyical on me till after January 1st when they know if there are slots open or not. He wasn't to enthused to be talking to me as I expected. He also asked if I was married, which I am, and said they she would have to sign forms as well. He aslo said I might have to take another ASVAB test. He was pretty short with me. I told him I'd see him bright and early January 1st, not thinking its new years lol, but he did say ok!
So after leaving that office, I went to the other recuiting office but the recruiter was out so I left him a VM message.

NoRemorse
12-04-09, 01:24 PM
Nice doubletap brother but make sure you follow up with someone else to verify that scoop.

SSgt P also suggested to me to call ahead and set up an appointment. Might make for a nice sit down that way.

hanslergf
12-04-09, 01:31 PM
I was trying to verify it by going to the other office but he wasn't there, but I got his card. Hopefully he calls me back or I am going back there Monday. I aint giving up.

NoRemorse
12-04-09, 01:34 PM
call call call first. I don't know how many times I've gone to the office and they were out to a function or an appointment or at MEPS or wherever.

Regardless, good luck with the process.

Supersquishy
12-04-09, 01:46 PM
I was trying to verify it by going to the other office but he wasn't there, but I got his card. Hopefully he calls me back or I am going back there Monday. I aint giving up.

Search SSGT Gordon on this site, look for his number and talk with him, he is a current **** hot PSR and will answer any questions you have. Also GYC on this site is a recruiter, but I have not seen him on lately.

Petz
12-04-09, 08:25 PM
G'Afternoon Gents!

So today at lunch I went to the nearest recruiting office (two in the area). Walked in and went straight to the SSGT on his iPhone. I introduced myself and my situation. He said I would have to come back after January 1st to start my package. His rereasoning being that MEPS will not want to do a phyical on me till after January 1st when they know if there are slots open or not. He wasn't to enthused to be talking to me as I expected. He also asked if I was married, which I am, and said they she would have to sign forms as well. He aslo said I might have to take another ASVAB test. He was pretty short with me. I told him I'd see him bright and early January 1st, not thinking its new years lol, but he did say ok!
So after leaving that office, I went to the other recuiting office but the recruiter was out so I left him a VM message.

so you know, they can start putting your package together BEFORE Jan 1st, that guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Also those two recruiting offices fall under the same boss. One is the RSS while the other is a PCS, the PCS is a satellite station so that SSgt will see you again more than likely.

They won't want to work you because it's extra paperwork, if they don't want to then call the RS because they have quotas for PSEPers, the sooner you can get your package started the better the chances you actually GET one of those spots Jan 1st. (they will be there but will be limited)

You won't have to take the asvab again unless you don't qualify for any of the jobs that end up being available Jan 1st. Your wife will just have to sign one doc, it's the statement of understanding (SOU) that you will be deployed anywhere around the world whenever the Corps wants you to. He's really trying to make you not push to get this started now. I know of 3 PSEPers who have their packages being worked at the RSS level right now.

Supersquishy
12-05-09, 05:03 AM
Petz, are priors going back into Reserves considered PSEP?

Do we have to have our wifes sign that SOU form? I haven't had that form signed yet, if so, I guess I'll expect a kickback of my package.

Petz
12-05-09, 05:52 PM
I can only speak on going from IRR to reserves.

if you're in the IRR, it's not called PSEP.

If you're off contract going into the reseves then yes it would be considered PSEP but your process will take you to a different place than guys going AD. As for the wife SOU, I don't think that's a problem as I'm not sure they need to do that. AD will go somewhere in a heartbeat where as reserves was never intended for worldwide deployment the next day.

Twitchell
12-06-09, 12:15 AM

Hey Ssgt. Did someone tell you this, or did you read it? I'm just trying to find some sort of order or something to get on paper for the recruiters to believe. Like I said, I can't find were I read that. SF:flag:

Petz
12-06-09, 06:41 PM
I got the word from my current boss who's an NCOIC of where I'm working, he's a career recruiter and has been doing this for the last 6 years. I CAN ask him what the order is but it's more organizational stuff. Recruiters have a MCBUL they work off of, I don't know where that is.

So you're saying the recruiters are saying no way? talk to the NCOIC of the RSS.

Twitchell
12-06-09, 09:33 PM
I got the word from my current boss who's an NCOIC of where I'm working, he's a career recruiter and has been doing this for the last 6 years. I CAN ask him what the order is but it's more organizational stuff. Recruiters have a MCBUL they work off of, I don't know where that is.

So you're saying the recruiters are saying no way? talk to the NCOIC of the RSS.

I haven't asked them yet. I just have a feeling that they will. But we'll see. I only wanted it with me so if they did say no way, I could show it to them. No big deal though.

Petz
12-06-09, 10:50 PM
there's no reason for them to say no unless the're lazy.

hanslergf
12-07-09, 07:18 AM
so you know, they can start putting your package together BEFORE Jan 1st, that guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Also those two recruiting offices fall under the same boss. One is the RSS while the other is a PCS, the PCS is a satellite station so that SSgt will see you again more than likely.

They won't want to work you because it's extra paperwork, if they don't want to then call the RS because they have quotas for PSEPers, the sooner you can get your package started the better the chances you actually GET one of those spots Jan 1st. (they will be there but will be limited)

You won't have to take the asvab again unless you don't qualify for any of the jobs that end up being available Jan 1st. Your wife will just have to sign one doc, it's the statement of understanding (SOU) that you will be deployed anywhere around the world whenever the Corps wants you to. He's really trying to make you not push to get this started now. I know of 3 PSEPers who have their packages being worked at the RSS level right now.

I'm pretty sure he didnt want to work with me, but this was at the RSS station I believe because it was much bigger then the other station. What is the RS? Other then the SSgt I talked to there was just one other recruiter there. I wish he could have atleast give me some forms to fill to start filling out. He just kept playing on his iPhone, and replaced his worn chevron on his tank jacket.

NoRemorse
12-07-09, 07:24 AM
You're under the 4th District, right? I can't even bring up the RS commands there.

Maybe it's just my connection.

hanslergf
12-07-09, 07:40 AM
I'm sorry, I do not know what district I am in. Send me a link and maybe I can try?

NoRemorse
12-07-09, 07:51 AM
http://www.4mcd.usmc.mil/4MCDHome.asp

I'm going off you having Williamsburg, VA in your profile.

You're under RS Richmond if that's the case.

You can find the command's website and map at http://www.4mcd.usmc.mil/RS/RSRichmond/Default3.asp

hanslergf
12-07-09, 07:59 AM
Took awhile but it eventually came up for me. Got the number to the Richmond recruiting station. I'll give these guys a call today and see what they say. Thanks for 411 bro!

NoRemorse
12-07-09, 08:01 AM
No prob, we're hoping to hear good news for you.

Juicemang
12-07-09, 09:03 AM
So what's the gauge on IRR Marines going AR right now? Is it a problem to re-enlist into the AR for us? (Been out for a little over a year, 25 years old.)

Is it better for me to get up with a PSR or hit up a local recruiter?

Petz
12-07-09, 09:09 AM
the PSR is the guy you want to talk to unless you want to go AD then you go talk to a local recruiter.

I would have had their number but I think you can hit one of the guys at battle creek up instead of selfridge.

Juicemang
12-07-09, 09:11 AM
Just got a call from a PSR at Selfridge...we'll see what he has to say. S/F

hanslergf
12-07-09, 11:52 AM
Called up to the RS, the Sgt was cool but pretty much gave me the number back down to one of the recruiting offices around here, just a little further away. I called but the PFC said the SSgt was out for about an hour.

RWest
12-09-09, 06:03 PM
I have been trying to get back in the Marines for over a year now. I submitted my package in April 2009 and was told that it went up to HQ. In August or September I was told that the Marines would not be accepting anymore PSEP’s until Jan 2010. My recruiter told me that I was one of five packages at HQ at the time. My question is, will I have to resubmit my package again or will it still be at HQ. I know I will have to do part of the MEPS stuff again since it has been more that 30 days. What should I do?

hanslergf
12-10-09, 10:10 AM
Called up to the RS, the Sgt was cool but pretty much gave me the number back down to one of the recruiting offices around here, just a little further away. I called but the PFC said the SSgt was out for about an hour.

Just an update. I was able to meet with the recuiter again, turns out I actually accidently got a hold of his boss and his boss gave me different word about being able to start getting a package together. I filled out the medical screening form and should have an appointment next week to go up to MEPS. Filling out the medical sheet reminded me about high blood pressure. Two years ago I had high blood pressure due to some weight gain but has since gone away after losing the weight. I did see a doctor about it 2 years ago and took some medication but ended up not taking it and lost weight instead, but I have not been back since because I do not have it anymore. Could this be a problem? I know if you currently have high blood pressure you are DQ'd but not sure if you only had for alittle while but then went away.

Petz
12-10-09, 01:50 PM
Hansler, if you never took the drugs and you don't have HBP now then why is this an issue? I'm not saying you should lie but if you don't know you have a heart condition and say that you don't have a heart condition are you then lying?

Use your own judgement, Doctors can get it wrong. You could have had coffee of something with caffine before you had your blood pressure taken and the doctor just wanted to write a script to get some cash from you instead of taking it again the next day or something.

@RW, I'd say you need to change some dates on your paperwork and go for a Height & weight at MEPS but I don't see much else needed on your part. Maybe a police check since it's good for only 6 months ??? I think.

Your package should back at your RS, your recruiter should know what's up.

Twitchell
12-26-09, 02:05 PM
I've pretty much got everything together (i.e. OMPF, medical records, appointment with a specialist, ect). I've talked to the local recruiter here, "Ssgt Hope", and he seems pretty willing to help me, but he wanted to be sure I am very serious about it, which I am. I can't blame him. I'm going to go in next week and start to put a file together, so I can get up to MEPS, and then start the waiver process. But I guess there aren't going to be any slots open for the Reserves till probably September. All of the AD poolee's he swore in this month are already clear out to August apparently. But he seems pretty optimistic though. Which is nice for a change.

I do have one question though if you get this Ssgt Petz. He is NOT a PSR. He said he can do it though, since I'm off contract. Is that correct? I hope so because otherwise I'll have to go through the same PSR 250 miles away that already turned me down twice, and if I have to do everything all over again, then I think I will probably run out of time.
I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. SF :flag:

Petz
12-28-09, 09:07 PM
if you are done with your 8 year obligation then you are off contract and he can do it.

as for spots open for reserves... the spots he has for poolees aren't spots you take so I don't know what he's talking about.

you don't take a bed space at PI or SD, you are a PSEP. his quotas should have no effect on you getting back in or not at any time.

Be prepared for the Corps to say no because they have no PSEP spots open, though that will be up to your local reserve unit. (or should be, don't hold me to that)

Twitchell
12-29-09, 08:57 PM
Nice...... that's good he can work with me. So what do you have to do with the Reserve unit? Get a hold of them and just ask? Or is that the recruiters deal?

Thanks Ssgt!!!!

Petz
01-04-10, 07:32 AM
that's the recruiters job.

LaBounty
01-04-10, 06:23 PM
Need some help, I want back in the Marine Corps, and I'm not really sure where to start, I dont have my DD-214 it was never sent, would the VA have it? I havent been there and its been over a year...

Petz
01-04-10, 11:56 PM
hmmm. well, you got the DD-214 when you went to GPAC or whatever DPAC or whatever. they made you sign it then gave you the original. it's a computer print out, they should have told you not to lose it and you should have said "ok".

If you got out on a personality disorder then I'd guess you have lots of work to do. I'd say start by talking to your local recruiter, they'll walk you through the process. Now that you know where to start you should be on your way. Have a great day.

wyattusmc
01-05-10, 12:04 PM
if i got out in 2006 can i join the reserves and still keep my rank of E-5.......and also while in the reserves can i attend sniper school....thanks

Petz
01-05-10, 10:03 PM
yea you can keep your rank, you'll have to work out a LAT Move with your local PSR... so I don't have an answer for you in that regard.

Uncontested
01-06-10, 04:13 PM
I got told by a Prior Service recruiter (for reserves) that I can't get back in (0352) and the only route is to go reserves until the economy picks back up and enlistment rates drop... Is there a lot of truth to this? I was a CPL with a RE-1A code

Petz
01-06-10, 07:44 PM
he wants you to go reserves. If you want active then go talk to a normal recruiter. PSRs are recruiters of prior service Marines and their job is to get you to join a reserve unit, after that they don't care about you.

so make your own decision on who you want to believe, a guy who doesn't really know what's going on on the AD recruiter side or the AD recruiter?

Uncontested
01-10-10, 03:32 AM
I figured that much, but I was more wondering how hard it is right now to get back in or do you know ?

Petz
01-10-10, 04:25 PM
It took me a year, but I'm a SNCO. Sgts and below have it pretty easy but you're at the mercy of the needs of the Corps. When they don't need Sgts and below then you have to wait.

Supersquishy
01-10-10, 05:01 PM
I think Im giving up, **** it. Im taking that crop dusting seat instead.

echo3oscar1833
01-10-10, 07:36 PM
I think Im giving up, **** it. Im taking that crop dusting seat instead.

Damn bro that sucks, things not working out on the reenlisment process. I was under the assumption it was pretty easy for a Sgt below to get into the reserves currently. Sorry to hear it bro, don't give up just quite yet man, give it a few more months. Semper:marine:

Twitchell
01-11-10, 01:40 PM
Damn bro that sucks, things not working out on the reenlisment process. I was under the assumption it was pretty easy for a Sgt below to get into the reserves currently. Sorry to hear it bro, don't give up just quite yet man, give it a few more months. Semper:marine:

Yeah it's definitely a pain right now. I'm still optimistic, but I'm still looking clear out to possibly September, and I still haven't even gone to MEPS yet. I'm just hoping after as much work and effort I'm putting into it, that they don't turn around this time next year and say NO, but thanks for trying anyway!

Supersquishy
01-13-10, 05:56 AM
Anyone have any new scoop on reenlistments now? Have they changed anything thing for the new fiscal year? Anyone have any propblems?

wyattusmc
01-13-10, 09:12 AM
i picked up E-5 in the irr, now if i went back as reserves do i keep the e-5 rank from irr or go back in as a cpl as when i eas......thanks

Petz
01-15-10, 10:46 PM
the IRR is the reserves, so you'd keep it. Even if you wanted to get back into AD you'd keep that rank.

BroKen
01-20-10, 06:09 AM
hello all, I am not a Marine but did go to boot camp at Parris Island for 5 months, I got a RE-3P discharge, what kind of waiver would I need to get back in, I was discharged in 2006, i am ashamed of...

Zulu 36
01-20-10, 06:44 AM
If you did not graduate from boot camp, you cannot claim you are a Marine. Contact one of the mods to change your status to Marine Friend. jinelson or thedrifter.

markmil2002
01-22-10, 03:02 PM
I have started the process of getting back into Active Duty. All of my paperwork has been filled out and submitted. I am awaiting my trip to MEPS for my physical and my PFT which has to be monitored by an officer. Both of those I am not too worried about and the recruiters that are helping me seem like they are giving me the help I need despite them not getting a quota for me. My question comes to after I swear in. After I swear in at MEPS, I understand that I am back in, but will I leave immediately to my Duty station after that? It seems like it would be difficult to arrange TMO for that, and I do have stuff to move. It also seems like it would make housing difficult as base housing generally has a waiting list and therefore, how much time will I have to apply for base housing? Better yet, how much time will I have once I find out where I am going, or when exactly will I find out when I am going. My recruiters don't know a whole lot about some of this stuff, mainly because they have never had to work with a prior service Marine, and I know they weren't even entirely sure of all the necessary paperwork that needed to be completed at first. Either way, I want back in, I am just worried that the process isn't going to go by very smooth and I want to be as ready as possible for anything that will be coming my way and not have to surprise my wife with anything crazy. Thank you for all of your help!

Juicemang
01-22-10, 03:09 PM
Markmil2002,

Unfortunately I cannot offer any advice pertaining to your situation. However, I could possibly see myself in your shoes a couple years from now if the employment situation is looking dismal. Please keep us updated!

RufMarine
01-30-10, 12:06 PM
I wonder if you fine gentlemen could give me some information. I just got my reenlistment code changed from a 4 to a 3P. HQMC admitted to making a mistake which doesn't happen often. I would like to...

samthomas
01-30-10, 03:00 PM
Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I think we were at MCRD together. I was in platoon 2106 if memory serves, and graduated the same day. Why do you want to go back after so long?

RufMarine
01-31-10, 05:41 AM
I don't know the answer to your question, but I think we were at MCRD together. I was in platoon 2106 if memory serves, and graduated the same day. Why do you want to go back after so long?

We probably did, we were in the same Company, Echo plt 2110 grad sep 5.

Honestly, I miss it. I know it sounds stupid but I do miss the atmosphere, plus I feel that I missed many opportunities that were put in front of me when I got hurt . Believe me, its not for the money, i'm a firefighter and a baker now and I enjoy my jobs.

Supersquishy
01-31-10, 06:39 AM
Ill give you 10 bucks if he calls you back with info you want to hear, thats IF he even calls you back. <br />
<br />
Hate to burst your bubble but without a a RE 1A or A its going to be tuff. Been working...

Juicemang
01-31-10, 03:50 PM
It's all about being on or off contract. If you're in the IRR after release from active duty, re-enlisting or switching to the SMCR from the IRR is easy as hell. When you transfer from the IRR to the 1st Civ Div, that's when things get complicated. I'm pretty sure at that point, you need to go through MEPS and execute the entire enlistment process over again.

fjmas1976
02-01-10, 03:08 PM
IF you can even get into MEPS. You have to get a BUMED waiver to get into MEPS if you have an RE-3P. The RE-3P is viewed as a pre-DQ and MEPS won't even let you get a physical. I found that out after 3 months or so dealing with a PSR:mad:

hanslergf
02-11-10, 12:07 PM
So I was able to re-enlisted in the IRR after being off contract for year. I kept my rank and attached to a local reserver unit. Who do I talk to to start my package for Active Duty. Is it a normal recruiter? Or is it my reserve unit Career Planner?

Supersquishy
02-12-10, 07:59 AM
What would you do if you had to decide on one of these, no nit pick "what ifs", just pick one and why.

1). Go back into the Marine reserves same rank. The catch is it will take you a year and a lot of hassle to get back in.
Pros- You remain a Marine.
cons- You have to lat move into a possible crappy MOS.

or

2). Go into the National Guard within a week, the catch is you have to move your whole family.
Pros- Kick ass MOS, Opportunity to submit for WO.
Cons- No longer with your fellow Marines but with nasties.

Silentwarrior17
02-12-10, 08:06 AM
Getting back in quick to the reserves really depends if you're still on IRR time. If so, the transition is fairly easy and doesn't take as long as you think. I'm going through it right now.

Supersquishy
02-12-10, 08:09 AM
Getting back in quick to the reserves really depends if you're still on IRR time. If so, the transition is fairly easy and doesn't take as long as you think. I'm going through it right now.

Im off contract, been working on this since April

Silentwarrior17
02-12-10, 08:15 AM
Yeah being off contract is really a B***h. Takes forever it seems when ur off.

Supersquishy
02-12-10, 08:17 AM
Yeah being off contract is really a B***h. Takes forever it seems when ur off.

So which would you do then?

Silentwarrior17
02-12-10, 08:51 AM
I would still stick around in the Corps, but that's just me. I couldn't see myself wearing that uniform on a daily basis. I have no hate towards them or anything and I've known a lot of marines that have done it and loved it, but just not my thing. You'll always be a marine regardless of your choice.

tma0981
02-16-10, 12:41 PM
I've seen alot of posts in here claiming that re-enlisting is easy as hell if your on contract still in the IRR, sorry to burst some of your bubbles, (In contact with the recruiters since Oct) but I worked at it from the 1st day of January 2010 when they supposedly re-opened for prior service. I voluntereed to take any MOS they needed, ran the PFT and scored a 285, squared away everything fine no problems, RE-1a. I was kept on hold for about 2 weeks, then I was told that the Recuiting area CO said, sorry but no prior service will be entertained re-enlistment for the foreseeable future, and that they were going to DQ some of the new guys they were working with because of more stringent guidelines. Anybody have a similar experience. The recruiters told me to try the reserves, and that's that.

Supersquishy
02-16-10, 02:48 PM
. The recruiters told me to try the reserves, and that's that.

I know there is a reserve Unit in Hialeah, close to you.

SmithAdrian
02-16-10, 03:45 PM
I know there is a reserve Unit in Hialeah, close to you.

I may not rate to post here but I know a bit about that station, as I visited it a few times. It was supposed to be my reserve station. It's on red road, and a Navy/Marine base. pretty much spit straight down the center.

Juicemang
02-17-10, 01:50 AM
I've seen alot of posts in here claiming that re-enlisting is easy as hell if your on contract still in the IRR, sorry to burst some of your bubbles, (In contact with the recruiters since Oct) but I worked at it from the 1st day of January 2010 when they supposedly re-opened for prior service. I voluntereed to take any MOS they needed, ran the PFT and scored a 285, squared away everything fine no problems, RE-1a. I was kept on hold for about 2 weeks, then I was told that the Recuiting area CO said, sorry but no prior service will be entertained re-enlistment for the foreseeable future, and that they were going to DQ some of the new guys they were working with because of more stringent guidelines. Anybody have a similar experience. The recruiters told me to try the reserves, and that's that.

You don't need to completely re-enlist on a completely new contract in order to go back to active duty. (If you're still on contract.) Get with a PSR, find a unit near you that can use you, and join them. Drill with them and then check into IMA or AR vacancies. I looked recently and there are a ton of them out there. From the SMCR, you can have your reserve unit sign off and send you to an IMA or AR billet. These billets are usually 180 days to an entire year - active duty. That gives you six months to a year to talk to the right people and re-up if you want to.

All you need to do is get your foot in the door with a SMCR unit, talk to the right people, and you will get to where you want to go. The Corps
is definitely pretty full right now, but that doesn't mean IRR Marines can't make a couple moves and find themselves back on AD, or even deployed.

If you are going through local recruiters, they will be looking at the FTAP boatspace availability for your MOS. It's going to be a lot tougher to go straight to active duty through them. Now, if you get up with a PSR, they can usually get you right into a SMCR unit. Like I said, once you start drilling with them, opportunities will be plentiful.

In my case, I called up a PSR, he had me come in for a little paperwork, S-1 work, medical work, and that was that. I was off the IRR and into the SMCR in a day or two. I've drilled twice since then and have loved it both times. This summer I'll probably go active (ADOS) for the couple months that I have inbetween classes. It's all about what you make of it. Hope that helps. :usmc:

Silentwarrior17
02-17-10, 10:24 AM
Going into the SMCR is the way to go right now. I know a lot of AD marines don't really want to do this and would rather just go straight to AD. You have so many things you can do out of the SMCR and it really is just a matter of paperwork and time if you want to find an AD billet. Just had a buddy go from SMCR to Combat Instructor school (SOI) on Active Reserve. Same AD time to retirement and same perks, and at the end of that he can either stay AR, come back to SMCR or try and sign an AD contract. Remember your MOS will drive that too. I found the best way for me is to go into the SMCR and from there look at ADOS, or AR. Remember as a SMCR marine you can augment to active duty to fill holes for deployments if the units aren't TO. There are just a lot of opening from SMCR that you wont find on AD.

RufMarine
02-26-10, 05:35 PM
A little update. Just as you gentlemen said, no call no show. I've even spoken to a Sgt Major trying to get some information. Its very frustrating and time consuming. I'm thinking that SMCR is the way to go for now so i'll look into getting more info on that. Thanks for the tips gents.

Texusmcash
04-07-10, 12:15 AM
Enlisted May 2003 on a 4/4 (4 Years Active Duty, 4 years IRR). Left active duty in July 2007 with my PMOS of 0331 and the rank of Sgt., 295 PFT, 99 ASVAB I am currently in the IRR and just a year shy of the end of my contract.
I went to the local recruiters office today in S. Austin, Texas and mentioned that I was in the IRR and wanted to go to active duty again. The Sgt. took a look at a sheet of paper and gave me a phone number for a prior service recruiter and said have a nice day.( In there for about 20 seconds)
I contacted the PSR and this is what he laid out for me. (Now keep in mind I've only talked to one Marine about this and it was a PSR who's whole job is to recruit for the reserves so take it with a grain of salt like I did)
He said:
1. The Marine Corps Active Duty boatspace is pretty much full up in regard to Prior Service Marines like myself (For most MOS's and until FY 2011). He said that there was nearly no chance that I would be accepted at this time, but that he could not speak for the future. He mentioned that they can only operate with the information that HQMC gives them and it can fluxuate on a month to month basis.
2. That transferring from the IRR to the Active Reserve would be a great idea. He mentioned that I could join the active reserve unit in Austin, (which luckily for me is 1/23 weapons company) and that I could pursue transferring to active duty later on and would probably be in a better position to move. He reasoned this was because HQMC would rather take a look at a currently active reserve marine over an IRR marine.

I'm unsure whether this was a PSR trying to make his quota or if he was being straight with me, but I am going to make some more phone calls later this week, and I will keep everyone updated on what I find out.

If I were at a different point in my life the reserve option would work for me, but I do have a wife and bills to pay, so I am needing something more stable like an AD enlistment. Wish me luck, Gents.

Hoorah.:usmc:

RufMarine
04-07-10, 08:07 AM
Good luck Texusmcash. I was told to call the PSR back in a month so i'm going to do so today and see what he says. I was also told that going AD at this time is a no go but the active reserve was more forgiving so i'm going for that and hoping for the best. Damn this economy.

elliscraig12
04-16-10, 12:11 PM
I'm 47, 10 yrs prior, 2111 wRE-1a. If I go Navy or Army can I switch back to the Corps?

RufMarine
04-16-10, 12:47 PM
I've heard that its possible, I dont know if age will be an issue. I've actually given up trying to get back in the Marine Corps for now, I had a recruiter basically tell me that he didnt want to put in the work, so now i'm going Army in the hopes that maybe i'll be able to transfer in the future.

SmithAdrian
04-16-10, 02:49 PM
I was told by a GySgt at RSS Hollywood that getting in with a 3P reentry code is nearly impossible now a days...Do any of the Marines here know the accuracy of that statement?

Lisa 23
04-16-10, 03:59 PM
I was told by a GySgt at RSS Hollywood that getting in with a 3P reentry code is nearly impossible now a days...Do any of the Marines here know the accuracy of that statement?

RE-3P - Failure to meet physical/ medical standards (includes pseudofolliculitis and weight standards).

Recommended by CO upon removal of disqualifying factor. SRB entry required stating reason for assignment. Individual Marine must sign SRB entry. CMC authority required for reenlistment.

http://www.sdmcp.org/Regs/marcorpsepman/AppI.pdf

RufMarine
04-16-10, 05:26 PM

A 3p can be waivered, but, it all depends on if the recruiter is willing to go through the process and paper work for you. If you are on disability its very very very hard to get in right now,I would go as far as saying its impossible, especially with the current manpower of the Marine Corps.

I had a Re-4, got it changed to the proper code of Re-3p, Marine recruiters have been giving me the run a round for almost 6 months now, talked to an Army recruiter yesterday, starting application process today, so if the recruiters aren't willing to do their job then you are up ****s creek without a paddle. Good luck. :flag:

ritter
04-19-10, 12:50 AM
If you guys want straight answers contact SSgt Gordon out of RS Portland. He is a PSR but he will help anyone out regardless of where they are currently residing. His number is 1-800-586-5042

RufMarine
04-19-10, 04:38 AM
Thank you ritter, I will give him a call. All I truly want is a straight honest answer, if reenlistment is not possible at this time for me then I am fine with that. But if it can happen I am willing to put in the work.

ritter
04-19-10, 09:10 PM
Just to add, SSgt Gordon is on leave for another day or so. I would try calling out there on Wednesday or Thursday and keep calling he isn't the best at calling people back since he gets many calls. Concerning re-enlistment I would say that it is next to impossible unless you join the reserves and then augment over to active duty. It is even difficult to get into the reserves and could take up to a year to do so even if you are still in the IRR.

mattymedic9
04-20-10, 10:02 AM
Hey everyone let me run my situation by you all. <br />
<br />
<br />
I'm 35 years old. I was active duty USMC from 1993-1997, Honorable Discharge. Last August I joined the USN-R as an HM and I am currently...

npchristian
04-20-10, 11:16 PM
Hi everyone, <br />
<br />
I was honorably discharged with a code of RE1a. I have no tattoos, no NJPS, Courts martial, ETC.. Basically, I am squeaky clean. I haven't ran a PFT officially yet but I expect to be...