PDA

View Full Version : Corporal on Okinawa selected as engineer equipment Marine of the year

thedrifter
08-07-09, 06:49 AM
Corporal on Okinawa selected as engineer equipment Marine of the year

8/7/2009 By Lance Cpl. J Nava , Marine Corps Bases Japan
OKINAWA, Japan —

From the battlefield to garrison and everything in between, Marines are best known for excellence in everything they do.

But there are those who go above and beyond, outshining the rest.

Cpl. Scott Comment is one of them.

He worked diligently, through the looming danger and stifling heat while deployed to the Iraqi desert, and earned the distinction of being the very best.

Out of 100 competitors, the Marine Corps Engineer Association has chosen Comment as the engineer equipment Marine of the year.

An uncompromising work ethic and can-do attitude, that Comment inherited from his parents is what the 26-year-old, Monroe, Michigan, native attributed to his success.

"My dad worked very long hours, and my mom raised four kids on her own," said Comment, a heavy equipment operator and acting assistant foreman at the 9th Engineer Support Battalion, 3rd Marine Logistics Group, III Marine Expeditionary Forces' motor pool.

"They instilled in me, the ability to get the job done and to not complain, which I brought with me into the Marine Corps, and has helped me succeed so far."

Comment enlisted in the Marine Corps in March 2007.

He initially wanted to be a combat engineer but was later bestowed the heavy equipment operator occupational specialty.

Using the values and abilities instilled in him by his family, Comment excelled in his new career path and soon came to, 'fall in love with it.'

"I love my job now," Comment said. "I like the work we do and I like getting my hands dirty."

Comment's attitude about the job projects onto his fellow Marines, both senior and subordinate.

"His level of maturity and work ethic gained him the respect of all the Marines around him," said Gunnery Sgt. Kevin Lerette, an engineer equipment chief with 9th ESB who also served with Comment in Iraq. "His performance in everything he did was outstanding."

From August 2008 to March 2009 Comment was deployed to Al Taqaddum, Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom with 9th ESB.

They spent their time building roads and forward operating bases for embedded teams while de-militarizing old outposts.

Comment and his team also improved defensive structures at points of entry on both the Syrian and Saudi Arabian borders.

Spending his days working on vehicles like the road grader, bulldozer and the Tractor Rubber-tired Articulated steering Multi-purpose vehicle, commonly referred to as a TRAM, the Iraqi desert had no effect on Comment as he continued to excel and improve at everything he did.

"If there ever was anyone that I had to count on (while in Iraq) it was Comment," Lerette said. "He has a great sense of initiative and was always on the job before being asked to."

While in Iraq, Comment's commanding officer and staff noncommissioned officers recognized his efforts by turning in a package for nomination for the Engineer Equipment Marine of the Year award.

Out of 100 equipment engineers, Comment was deemed the best of the best, and will be headed to Las Vegas in October to accept his award.

"There isn't anybody else that can touch him (Comment). He's the best and no one else comes close," Lerette said. "Comment is very deserving of this award."
"I'm glad I had the honor and privilege of working with him," Lerette added.

Ellie