PDA

View Full Version : How to make an Old Marine Happy

Marine1955
08-06-09, 08:47 PM
Well lets see. I started about 3 or 4 weeks ago I meet a Man who said he was a Marine and that he had gone into boot camp in 1943 and was in china with the 6 Marines Division there and had been looking for his book from that time .He had let a Buddy borrow it and he never brought it back. I told him I would see if I could find one and let him know about it . Well after two days of looking I found one on line in very good condition and bought it for him and gave it to him as a gift. I gave it to him cause he help set the foundation for me and allot of other men and women to join and fight the fight . They help set the standards we look up to and hold dearly to our hearts.Not only did I find his book I found a flag for him and gave it to him to.
As he accepted the flag and book there was a little tear in his eye as he thank you son you just made a OLD MARINE VERY HAPPY.
Believe it or not I had a little tear in my eyes too.
I just wanted to share this cause it made me feel good to help an older Marine out.Semper Fi

Osotogary
08-06-09, 09:04 PM
marine1955,
As you know, sometimes just saying, "Thank you for your service to your Country", does wonders and it doesn't have to be said to just Marines. What you did was good to hear. I gave a Marine, who lives not too far from where I live, my copy of Sgt Grits catalog. He never had heard about such a catalog. Now he can look up his patches...that kind of thing. It's not everyday that one meets a "China Marine". Good work.

sparkie
08-06-09, 09:06 PM
The China Marines are so forgotten,,,,,, not by me.

ecfree
08-06-09, 09:14 PM
Marine1955,Bill,that was a very nice thing to do...Are you sure he said he was in the 6th Marine Division ?:confused:
Maybe I'm wrong ,but I thought that we only had as much as 5 divisions....Again if I'm wrong yell at me..:scared:.

NoRemorse
08-06-09, 09:20 PM
the 6th MarDiv came into existence in '44 on Guadalcanal. They were never based in CONUS. They saw a lot of action up through Okinawa and accepted the Japanese surrender in China.

CH53MetalMan
08-06-09, 09:22 PM
The only Marine Division that, as an entire unit, never spent as much as one day in the continental United States was the Sixth Marine Division. It was composed of three infantry regiments; the 4th Marines, 22nd Marines and 29th Marines, an artillery regiment, the 15th Marines and subordinate units such as Engineer, Medical, Pioneer, Motor Transport, Tank, Headquarters and Service battalions.

The division was created on Guadalcanal in the Solomon Islands in September of 1944. The core about which the division was formed was the First Provisional Marine Brigade, which included the 4th Marines, the 22nd Marines and the artillery battalions that had supported those two Marine regiments and which later were combined and expanded into the 15th Marines. The 1st Provisional Marine Brigade fought as a unit in the invasion and retaking of Guam in the Marianas Islands. The brigade was awarded the Navy Unit Citation for its actions on Guam.

After the fighting on the Island of Guam was ended, the brigade was joined on Guadalcanal by the 1st Battalion of the 29th Marines, which had fought with the Second Marine Division on Saipan in The Marianas. The 2nd and 3rd battalions of the 29th Marines left the United States on August 1, 1944 and joined the rest of the Sixth Marine Division on Guadalcanal.

While the Sixth Marine Division was a new division when it was created, its component units were anything but new. Of its nine infantry battalions, seven of them had fought in at least one island battle, most in at least two battles. The 2nd and 3rd Battalions of the 29th Marines were new units, but with many noncommissioned and commissioned officers who were overseas for the second time, having fought as members of other Marine Divisions.

After training on the Island of Guadalcanal, the division steamed 6000 miles to land on the Island of Okinawa on April 1, 1945. The division then fulfilled its mission of capturing the northern half of that island.

http://www.sixthmarinedivision.com/

ecfree
08-06-09, 09:24 PM
the 6th MarDiv came into existence in '44 on Guadalcanal. They were never based in CONUS. They saw a lot of action up through Okinawa and accepted the Japanese surrender in China.
Okay Ray,thanks ,I stand corrected....Now I'll just go and field day the head...:cry:

NoRemorse
08-06-09, 09:26 PM
Okay Ray,thanks ,I stand corrected....Now I'll just go and field day the head...:cry:

I'll join you brother but you're scuzzing the sh!tters.:marine:

ecfree
08-06-09, 09:33 PM
I'll join you brother but you're scuzzing the sh!tters.:marine:
Aw shoot ...I just broke my freakin tooth brush when I was scrubin the dang crapper.....:evilgrin:

Osotogary
08-06-09, 09:34 PM
China Marines? There was a book that I read awhile back titled, Charlie Two Shoes. Apparently the story is now on Google videos. Marine1955, perhaps you can ask the China Marine if he has heard the story and if he has ever been to the Tsing Tao Brewery in Shangtung Province
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8793459741628578422

NoRemorse
08-06-09, 09:35 PM
Aw shoot ...I just broke my freakin tooth brush when I was scrubin the dang crapper.....:evilgrin:

You mean we get to use tooth brushes? :cry:

ecfree
08-06-09, 09:37 PM
The only Marine Division that, as an entire unit, never spent as much as one day in the continental United States was the Sixth Marine Division. It was composed of three infantry regiments; the 4th Marines, 22nd Marines and 29th Marines, an artillery regiment, the 15th Marines and subordinate units such as Engineer, Medical, Pioneer, Motor Transport, Tank, Headquarters and Service battalions.

The division was created on Guadalcanal in the Solomon Islands in September of 1944. The core about which the division was formed was the First Provisional Marine Brigade, which included the 4th Marines, the 22nd Marines and the artillery battalions that had supported those two Marine regiments and which later were combined and expanded into the 15th Marines. The 1st Provisional Marine Brigade fought as a unit in the invasion and retaking of Guam in the Marianas Islands. The brigade was awarded the Navy Unit Citation for its actions on Guam.

After the fighting on the Island of Guam was ended, the brigade was joined on Guadalcanal by the 1st Battalion of the 29th Marines, which had fought with the Second Marine Division on Saipan in The Marianas. The 2nd and 3rd battalions of the 29th Marines left the United States on August 1, 1944 and joined the rest of the Sixth Marine Division on Guadalcanal.

While the Sixth Marine Division was a new division when it was created, its component units were anything but new. Of its nine infantry battalions, seven of them had fought in at least one island battle, most in at least two battles. The 2nd and 3rd Battalions of the 29th Marines were new units, but with many noncommissioned and commissioned officers who were overseas for the second time, having fought as members of other Marine Divisions.

After training on the Island of Guadalcanal, the division steamed 6000 miles to land on the Island of Okinawa on April 1, 1945. The division then fulfilled its mission of capturing the northern half of that island.

http://www.sixthmarinedivision.com/
Thanks MetalMan,.....I'll use my wifes tooth brush,she'll never know...hehehe...:D

ameriken
08-11-09, 01:07 PM
Well lets see. I started about 3 or 4 weeks ago I meet a Man who said he was a Marine and that he had gone into boot camp in 1943 and was in china with the 6 Marines Division there and had been looking for his book from that time .He had let a Buddy borrow it and he never brought it back. I told him I would see if I could find one and let him know about it . Well after two days of looking I found one on line in very good condition and bought it for him and gave it to him as a gift. I gave it to him cause he help set the foundation for me and allot of other men and women to join and fight the fight . They help set the standards we look up to and hold dearly to our hearts.Not only did I find his book I found a flag for him and gave it to him to.
As he accepted the flag and book there was a little tear in his eye as he thank you son you just made a OLD MARINE VERY HAPPY.
Believe it or not I had a little tear in my eyes too.
I just wanted to share this cause it made me feel good to help an older Marine out.Semper Fi

Awesome! Semper Fi, Bill!!! :iwo:

0331 2 0369
08-11-09, 01:25 PM
China Marines? There was a book that I read awhile back titled, Charlie Two Shoes. Apparently the story is now on Google videos. Marine1955, perhaps you can ask the China Marine if he has heard the story and if he has ever been to the Tsing Tao Brewery in Shangtung Province
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8793459741628578422

Bad bad memories. I was in Xingtao on what was labeled a historic port visit back in '86. We drank that Tsing Tao beer. They took it straight off the shelf, room temperature, and served it to you. Oh the bad memories of the following morning.:sick:

kenrobg30
11-30-09, 04:32 PM
I think you will find, that the Marines based in China, before WW2, were the 4th Marines.
Have a good one, and Sempre FI !!! Ken

Marine1955
11-30-09, 05:16 PM
Both Marines I talk to said Sixth Marines is what they were with.

doc h fmf
11-30-09, 07:04 PM
tHAT WAS VERY NICE OF YOU WILLIAM GODBLESS YOU

Rooger
11-30-09, 08:20 PM
I think you will find, that the Marines based in China, before WW2, were the 4th Marines.
Have a good one, and Sempre FI !!! Ken

Before WWII the 4th Marine's were all over China, They were Evacuated to the Philippines right before the start of WWII, they were ordered to surrender by General MacArthur When the Japanese took the Philippines. At the end of the war..... the 6th Marine's accepted the Japanese surrender in China.