PDA

View Full Version : Athletes **** me off sometimes...

Lupo22
08-06-09, 08:17 PM
Well, just one this time. I figured I'd rant here because this is a place where people earn every single penny and should be paid much more for what they do.

In a ridiculous move, Michael Crabtree has threatened to sit out this season with the 49ers and re-enter the draft next year because he isn't being paid as much as Heyward-Bey at Oakland (who was drafted AHEAD of him). He claims all mock drafts put him ahead of Bey so therefore, he deserves more money than him, even though reality didn't work out that way.

So instead of making 1-teen million, he'll hold out for $23.5 million that he THINKS he deserves.

God they make me sick. Its almost at the point where I don't even want to watch sports anymore because these guys are ridiculous.

Whatever, I'll just pick up my rifle in 2 weeks and kick ass and forget about that clown, Ooorah

sparkie
08-06-09, 08:24 PM
They are paid what the market will bear,,,,,,,, Are you?

Warbyrd13
08-06-09, 09:05 PM
People like this beleive becuase they can play a sport that they should make all this money becuase they have a talent for something that is considered a hobby.

All that guy is and those like him are weekend warriors who want thier 5 minutes of fame. In the end they will have nothing compared to what other people do in their lives.

Lupo22
08-07-09, 07:32 AM
The market doesn't bear that though right now but he doesn't seem to understand that. Sure, the Yankee's, Red Sox, Cubs, Cowboys, Patriots, Jets, Giants and a few other teams are doing great but alot of others are struggling.

And unfortunately, their pay isn't as political as ours is lol Oh well.

I was just ranting Sgt. Most of the time it doesn't bother me. I don't mind how much they make, I just HATE it when the ***** about it!

MD8724
08-07-09, 09:40 AM
Well, up to this point, he is better than Heyward-Bey. You honestly don't think this is a smart move ? Get as much as you can up front. That way, if you can't make it, well, you already have it made.

On that note, it takes alot of money to runs these teams and stadiums and all that crap. It's a business, so there has to be a profit. Someone gets this money. Would you rather it be the owners, or the guys who actually sell tickets. They make exactly what they should based on the revenue of the business. Plus, they play a very physical game, one where at any second their career could be over. While I don't like the **** he is pulling either, I understand it, and hell, if given the chance, I may have done it too.

txrona
08-07-09, 09:48 AM
Let him sit out the season then he won't have anything to show for it come next season.
:p

FistFu68
08-07-09, 12:43 PM
:evilgrin: Give The Record Back 2 Roger Maris :evilgrin: :iwo:

Lupo22
08-07-09, 01:03 PM
Well, my opinion is that the owners run the business...the athletes are just their employees, so yes, the owner should make significantly more. They have more at risk financially.

And as far as their career being over...our lives could be over at any second, so where's my $25 million?? I mean, do you think that $15 or $19 million is going to kill him compared to $23.5 million?? If he puts $2 or 3 million in the bank, he could live off the interest better than 90% of the people in this country!! But no, they blow it on women, partying, cars, houses and end up going bankrupt and signing autographs for $10 a pop at local card shows. (not all of them by a long shot of course, but still)

I love sports but when its $40-$250 to see a game, its crossing the line I think. Unfortunately, as consumers, we're dumb enough to pay it for a little satisfaction.

Long live sports, just quit *****ing to us about it. WE CAN'T RELATE.

And my SSgt brought up a good point today: its probably mostly his agent so maybe Crabtree isn't as big a scum bag as I'm making him out to be...agents...yes, its AGENTS that ruin the game.

MD8724
08-07-09, 01:16 PM
The owners do make alot more, but it's still the athletes that put the fans in the seats. As far as the injury thing :) Well, everytime he steps on the field (work) he could get hurt. I, for the most part, can't. Plus, his job is harder. I mean, yeah I put up with ****, but no more than any other Marine. My job isn't really that hard, you can learn it easy. He, however, has to compete agianst the best athletes in the world, and make it entertaining. :P I'm just saying, the money is there, go for it. He may only get one shot at it, and 5-10 million is sure worth it. Yeah, he can live on 2 or 3 million, but why pass up on 25 if you don't have too.

I don't really agree with him, but more on the lines of me just wanting to see how good he is. When you draft a guy like that, that high, you should expect to have to pay big. That's just how it works.

Not all of them blow their money on cars and women either. Alot of them donate to charitys and do alot of social work. Alot of it is usually local though, so you don't hear alot about it.

Lupo22
08-07-09, 11:42 PM
The owners do make alot more, but it's still the athletes that put the fans in the seats. As far as the injury thing :) Well, everytime he steps on the field (work) he could get hurt. I, for the most part, can't. Plus, his job is harder. I mean, yeah I put up with ****, but no more than any other Marine. My job isn't really that hard, you can learn it easy. He, however, has to compete agianst the best athletes in the world, and make it entertaining. :P I'm just saying, the money is there, go for it. He may only get one shot at it, and 5-10 million is sure worth it. Yeah, he can live on 2 or 3 million, but why pass up on 25 if you don't have too.

I don't really agree with him, but more on the lines of me just wanting to see how good he is. When you draft a guy like that, that high, you should expect to have to pay big. That's just how it works.

Not all of them blow their money on cars and women either. Alot of them donate to charitys and do alot of social work. Alot of it is usually local though, so you don't hear alot about it.

So I just realized you're from El Paso Cpl, which makes me wonder if you'd feel the same way if he went to, say, Oklahoma, or Texas?? I'm sure you're a Tech fan hehe

But in all seriousness, I'd like to see him play too, but prove yourself before you start gettin all Jerry Maguire out there

GREY MATTER
08-08-09, 12:03 AM
premadonnas are everywhere. its sad that american sports culture is where it is, but if it wasnt for the fans they wouldnt be where they are. i think all players should start at the league minimum and prove their worth before they are given these recockulous contracts. too many time there was a rookie getting a contract paying him more than anyone on the team only to find out this rookie couldnt cut it with the pros...leinert is the perfect example, and there have been many others..like brian bosworth

8th&I Marine
08-08-09, 12:38 AM
Let him sit out the season then he won't have anything to show for it come next season.
:p

Damn Skippy on this send him back to Tech and see where he goes

Cantrell:flag:

Lupo22
08-08-09, 10:15 AM
Damn Skippy on this send him back to Tech and see where he goes

Cantrell:flag:

Well, if Bradford stuck around, maybe a National Championship?? (where he'd get hammered by my boy, Timothy "Big V" Tebow!!!)

MD8724
08-10-09, 07:11 AM
I'm actually not from El Paso, and I'm not a Tech Fan, I'm just playing devil's advocate. :)

You need to realize that teams are prepared for this kind of thing. When you take guys with high first round picks, you expect to have to give them alot of money. You say they didn't earn it, I say they did. They were the standouts in college, amongst tens of thousands of others. You don't give a first rounder the same contract you do a seventh rounder. To us, it's just football. To them, it's their life. Go big or go home.

Lupo22
08-10-09, 08:57 AM
I'm actually not from El Paso, and I'm not a Tech Fan, I'm just playing devil's advocate. :)

You need to realize that teams are prepared for this kind of thing. When you take guys with high first round picks, you expect to have to give them alot of money. You say they didn't earn it, I say they did. They were the standouts in college, amongst tens of thousands of others. You don't give a first rounder the same contract you do a seventh rounder. To us, it's just football. To them, it's their life. Go big or go home.

Oh ok, my bad on the team representation! :) However, i disagree that they earned it. They may have earned a different signing bonus, but the contract money I don't believe has been earned. The percentage of draft picks that actually perform statistically to the same level of college is small. I mean, some of the best players out right now were crummy picks (Brady and Favre jump out at me). I always liked the strategy of trading high draft picks for proven talent! But we're all entitled to our opinion. And I certainly look forward to monitoring Bey and Crabtree this year to see who beats who!!

Old Marine
08-10-09, 09:30 AM
Who are the 49ers???? Is that a hocky team????