PDA

View Full Version : Jerabek Movie Celebrates a Real American Hero

thedrifter
08-06-09, 07:41 AM
Jerabek Movie Celebrates a Real American Hero

Updated: Aug 5, 2009 10:20 PM

By Matt Smith

Movie premieres are usually black tie and red carpet affairs. But a premiere at Green Bay's Meyer Theatre gave all the glory to the one person who's missing.

Marine Corps Private First Class Ryan Jerabek died in April, 2004, after being attacked by insurgents in Iraq. The journey before and after Ryan's death is the focus of a documentary that was several years in the making.

"He was hilarious. He kind of wanted the center of attention. Some people called him 'Broadway,'" people in the documentary recall.

"Jerabek" made its Green Bay debut Wednesday night, taking the audience along an intimate journey with a family from Hobart, showing their loss of a son and brother who died in Iraq.

"I looked him dead in the eye and said, 'Don't screw around,' and he said, 'Jerabek died.'"

It's along this journey that Ryan's brother decides to join the Marines, too -- a decision not easy for a family dealing with such great loss.

"They're people's sons and daughters, and it takes a toll not only on the country but it takes a personal toll, and I thought that story was important to tell," "Jerabek" producer Steve Levin said.

Ryan's father Ken didn't watch the premiere. He's already seen the movie six times. He stood outside as the movie played.

"It's tough," Ken Jerabek said. "It's a tremendous film. It was tough to make, very emotional in a two-and-a-half year period, but it tells a story. It tells a story about a family who has lost a national hero and having another son making his decision whether he should follow in his brother's footsteps."

When the film ends, the applause begins -- an applause for a family and their Marines.

"It's a love story for their son but also it's a price we pay for our freedom, and he paid the ultimate price and I'm forever grateful," movie-goer Sheila Ferron said.

The film's makers are trying to get "Jerabek" played in larger venues.

Ellie