PDA

View Full Version : Best Qualities of Officers

bstewar09
08-06-09, 07:40 AM
So I'm leaving in a week to go to Orientation week for NROTC at the University of Nebraska. I went in to the recruiters office to tell him for sure that I was dropping out of the DEP as they were holding my job slot until I got a confirmation on an astigmatism waiver. Anyway, it was very humbling to think that I could one day be leading the Marines I was standing in front of that day. All of them veterans, most had seen combat, a couple had purple hearts and a whole stack of ribbons.

So on to my question.

By the time I complete TBS I will only be 23 years old and green as can be. So in your eyes what makes a good Marine Officer and what makes a bad Marine Officer?

SSgt Ramsey
08-06-09, 08:04 AM
My humble opinion on some good qualities in a Marine Officer:

Intelligent but not a "know-it-all", approachable, decisive, will listen to his NCO's and SNCO's on issues to make a infomred decision based on their counsel, compassionate when needed, will do the right thing even if it's not the popular thing at all times, will let his NCO's and SNCO's execute their duties without overly interfering and not "micro-managing", know their MOS but ask questions of those in the know, keep the troops and leaders informed.

In my experience, young officers are much like young Marine's in that, even though they have been through TBS and their MOS school, they still have much to learn from those that have been in and around that field longer and should exploit them for their experience.

The Colonel's I worked with and for in my last 3 assignments at the MAG, Battalion, and Regimental levels were all awesome leaders of Marine's...they were smart, decisive, compassionate, and would talk "to" you and not "at" you on the commands retention issues and would ususally go with my recommendations based upon my years of experience in the Career Planner Field. Sometimes they didn't, but that wasn't my call, they were the Commander...I was just his counsel.'

My best advice honestly is to learn the leadership traits and principles, apply them, and talk to your Marines both junior and senior alike and learn from them and add it to your tool-box of knowledge and build your experience base.

0231Marine
08-06-09, 11:39 AM
Always remember that there is a very big difference between "demanding" respect and "commanding" it. Don't be the demanding type. As SSgt said, seek out and absorb all the information that your Enlisted Marines have. They won't lead you in the wrong direction as long as you let them be heard. As a boot Lt. you'll have to come to grips with the fact that you'll probably have LCpl's and Cpl's who know more than you and are looking for direction. If it were me, I'd go out of my way to talk to them as well as your SNCO's because they're the ones that are going to make you smart on your MOS.

bstewar09
08-06-09, 05:27 PM
Thank you Marines for helping me out.

I hope that someday I will exemplify the qualities you pointed out.

rufio14
08-06-09, 08:24 PM
bstewar09, I was a Marine Option Midshipman with the NROTC. I lost my scholarship due to a back problem. I got back into the DEP after I left school. Two day's after I enlisted again I got a call saying that I had been granted a waiver for the scholarship. I was still able to ship and go through Boot Camp, MCT, etc... it was a great experience and I was so proud to finally be able to call myself a Marine. I've asked and wondered the same questions you have. I've gotten pretty much the same answers that the Marines above stated. Listen to your NCO's, don't think your hot s**t cause you got shiny stuff in your collar. I talked to a 1st Lt. and he said the most important thing that he learned was that he and his fellow officers are there to serve the enlisted side not the other way around. Your job is to take care of the Marines under your command but always accomplish the mission. Sometimes the two must condradict each other. From my limited experience in the Corps so far I can say that being concerned for the welfare of your Marines is a big one..good luck in the NROTC
SF

SSgt Ramsey
08-07-09, 05:38 AM
There are no perfect Marine's...but there are some very, very good ones out there within the Enlisted and Officer ranks....

I was always fortunate, with a very few exceptions, to work with and for some incredible Marine's, called a very few friend, and still communicate with some of them even today.....Marine's are the best people I know.

I was never a "stellar" overall Marine...I usually had low first class PFT's, shot Sharpshooter on both the rifle and pistol, did my MCI's up to the old 7200 Series as a Sergeant when we were allowed to.

I will say that I think I was above-average in my performance as a HE Operator and then Career Planner, but not "the best" nor walked on water....but I always strove to improve myself, treat my Marines with respect and how I would want to be treated, and stand up for them when BS flew rampant around us. Those Marines that worked with and for me even today would verify that.

Strive to be a solid Marine and leader, respect is earned on the personal level regardless of what is on your collar. I had NCO's I despised as they were dirt-bags but hid behind the inherent authority of their stripes, eventually, it caught up with them and they were "removed" from our beloved Corps.....and I've seen a few Officers crash and burn and seen that side of the street and that is not a pretty sight.

My best times, and most stressful in some ways, was that of a NCOIC of a large MAG, Battalion, and ultimately Regimental Career Planner. I learned much about myself, the job, and more importantly how to interweve myself between very senior Enlisted and the Command Chain's of them and survive lol....not always a easy task I assure you.

Do what you feel is right, not popular.....don't be a tyrant, be a leader. Marines want and expect leadership. They aren't stupid and know bull**** when they smell it. It's your Marine's and their performance to a large degree that will ensure you receive positive Fitness Reports from the Commander.

Isrowei
08-07-09, 06:17 AM
There are no perfect Marine's...but there are some very, very good ones out there within the Enlisted and Officer ranks....

Strive to be a solid Marine and leader, respect is earned on the personal level regardless of what is on your collar. I had NCO's I despised as they were dirt-bags but hid behind the inherent authority of their stripes, eventually, it caught up with them and they were "removed" from our beloved Corps.....and I've seen a few Officers crash and burn and seen that side of the street and that is not a pretty sight.

Do what you feel is right, not popular.....don't be a tyrant, be a leader. Marines want and expect leadership. They aren't stupid and know bull**** when they smell it. It's your Marine's and their performance to a large degree that will ensure you receive positive Fitness Reports from the Commander.

Perfect.

SSgt Ramsey
08-07-09, 06:44 AM
Thank you very much Captain, and a belated congratulations are in order with your recent promotion and well deserved.

I loved the Marine Corps with all of my heart and soul when I was in, and still do as a retiree.....I met so many incredible men and women that personify decency and compassion that is sadly unrivaled in the civilian world....

Leading and working with Marine's is in my opinon one of the greatest gifts and responsibilities that can be bestowed upon us. Marines are truly some of America's best of the best it has to offer. I was honored and humbled daily in my 14+ years to serve it.

Petz
08-08-09, 12:09 AM
Thank you very much Captain, and a belated congratulations are in order with your recent promotion and well deserved.

I loved the Marine Corps with all of my heart and soul when I was in, and still do as a retiree.....I met so many incredible men and women that personify decency and compassion that is sadly unrivaled in the civilian world....

Leading and working with Marine's is in my opinon one of the greatest gifts and responsibilities that can be bestowed upon us. Marines are truly some of America's best of the best it has to offer. I was honored and humbled daily in my 14+ years to serve it.

starting to realize the pains of civilianhoodshipness huh? it's sucks doesn't it?

to the OP... I would have to say (if it wasn't mentioned before in an earlier post I skipped) a "perfect" officer would be one who is willing to back his enlisted Marines, to give THEM credit when things go right even if it took you 80 hours of planning to make it "work"... to accept THEIR faults as your own when plans don't go as you hoped, even if it was their fault. To NEVER undermine the authority of you NCOs and SNCOs especially in that order... to filter as much BS from above so that the Marines are actually enthusiastic to be apart of the "mission".

all these things will bolster morale and will have your Marines enthused when you tell them to work through the night.

(my personal opinion on which leadership trait is apparent to the leaders out there isn't it?!)

the trust and confidence of your Enlisted Marines is paramount to being a successful leader of Marines, unless you want to be a careerist and you are great at politics and could care less about PFC schmuckatelli who made a mistake and now you ended his idea of making the Corps a career because you don't want to explain why he made a mistake and taking responsibility for his future actions if they in fact would happen.... but hey, that's what SNCOs are for.

Good luck on your career path, it's going to be a perilous journey that will be best blazed 5 mins at a time.

be fluid in your decision making and trust in your senior enlisted Marines (that was mentioned before right?)

Sgt Leprechaun
08-08-09, 01:41 AM
1: Pay attention to your NCO's and SNCO's. They've BTDT and know their business. <br />
<br />
2: Know that even though they are giving you advice and 'suggestions', YOU are ultimately responsible. For...