PDA

View Full Version : one more

1proudmom
08-05-09, 10:43 AM
what does quarter decked mean?

Big Jim
08-05-09, 10:53 AM
LOL...quarterdeck is an area of floor in the open squad bay where he and the other recruits and...of course...the Drill Instructors....live. When he says "quarterdecked"...this means that he was made to come up to the front of the squad bay and made to do push-ups, bends and thrusts, mountain climbers and various other exercises to get his attention...so to speak. Every recruit goes through it....not to worry ma'am. Your boy is well taken care of and will be made into a Marine.

temarti
08-05-09, 11:14 AM
and if you do a word relation game: Quarterdeck = Pain or weakness leaving the body.

Isrowei
08-05-09, 12:00 PM
Ah, memories... :)

OB MSG
08-05-09, 12:50 PM
Those were the days!!! Think I need to go do some push-ups!

NoRemorse
08-05-09, 01:14 PM
what does quarter decked mean?

Where papa and your son's new big and little brothers will show their affection for your young recruit :marine:

1proudmom
08-05-09, 11:36 PM
thx,for your answers! i don't know a single soul in the military,so im trying to learn all i can.

Warbyrd13
08-06-09, 12:56 AM
The real fun starts when they go up as a team but they don't normaly have that mindset until 3rd phase.

Alot of the physical exercises are to get them into shape and also prepare them for certain events that come up in training.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-06-09, 05:12 AM
That's what WE are here for, ma'am.

The term you seek definition for is strictly a Marine one. A soldier, for example, wouldn't know what you are talking about. Airmen and such don't have that happen to 'em, so they wouldn't either.

To be quarterdecked, (verb) is to be brought to the front of the squadbay (communal living area of the platoon, a flat concrete surface near the DI hut, which is the Drill Instructors Office) and given physical training. Done singly or in groups.

skipper72
08-06-09, 05:46 AM
Ma'am: the Marine Corps used to be a seagoing fighting force in the sense that there were detachments of Marines on what were called "capital ships of the line." They were not seagoing for purposes of transportation, only. They were the immediate fighting force on naval vessels for close combat, ship-to-ship, as well as landing parties. So, because they were "soldiers of the sea," they were known as "Marines." Such functions were terminated (for the most part) in the late 1990s. That said, nautical terminology originated in such service and remains in the Corps. "Quarterdecked" (the root of which has to do with the quarterdeck of a ship...where I had the privilege of standing watch and commanding honor guards) shows yet another application of such (sometimes quite inventive) "saltiness" in landbased circumstances. Although the quarterdeck of a ship would likely not ever be used for the same purposes.

Supersquishy
08-06-09, 06:31 AM
We called it "The house of pain". :D

markthorpe
08-06-09, 06:46 AM
Some of my fondest memories are of the quality bonding time i had with Sgt Baskerville on the quarterdeck while keeping everyone that went, company, as I was the tourguide to the Endless Pain

What doesn't kill you gives you something to b**** about later

Semper Fi
Mark