PDA

View Full Version : broken heart

1proudmom
08-05-09, 10:19 AM
silly,i know but my son is at parris island,started july 7,his girlfriend of 1 1/2 yrs,wants to dump him,i begged her to wait untill oct 2,when he should graduate.young love,but im so worried,when he finds out he'll be so upset,his dad said he'll be to busy to care.my question can i get sgt.salcedo to block her letter. his whole life,he's wanted to be a marine and i don't want him to lose sight of that.thanks

Isrowei
08-05-09, 10:30 AM
Ma'am, it's a federal offense to withhold or fail to deliver U.S. mail. The Marines at Parris Island will deliver any mail addressed to that recruit.

He is at the rifle range by now. He'll be pretty busy and should be quite skilled at staying focused. Keep your letters to him going and encouragement. You can be broad in your hints about staying focused and not letting anything back at home distract him.

If you know when she is going to write him, follow it up with some extra love from the family to offset it.

Your son is becoming a man now. Part of that process is going through tough times. Family love and support is a great help when going through tough times, but ultimately it will be his personal mettle that gets him though it... just as it will get him through boot camp.

Love him, support him, don't shield him.

Bdchi1
08-05-09, 10:31 AM
Sorry to hear about the 'Dear Johnny' letter, but it is what it is. We find strength in things at different times. This will hopefully fuel your son's desire to get to the finish line and go home...

1proudmom
08-05-09, 10:36 AM
maybe,i need to attend a boot camp,for moms who can't let go!!:)

Bdchi1
08-05-09, 10:42 AM
NEVER LET GO!!!! Just hold on to him differently:)

temarti
08-05-09, 11:22 AM
I am sure that the signs were there prior to him leaving as well as what she has wrote to him so far. If she has not wrote him a letter so far, then more than likely already knows and is too busy to even worry about it.

Like the Captain (has a catch to it) said he is in the process of becoming a man, therefore he will be able to handle it and move on with certainly less stress or baggage.

Gator347
08-05-09, 12:06 PM
It would be better if she waited but better to find out now or to hear about "Jody" while being deployed.

Ceckert
08-05-09, 12:10 PM
Sounds to me like his girlfriend is worthless for not waiting for him. If she does that he will probably end up not caring

Ceckert
08-05-09, 12:11 PM
Your son will also be able to pick up on women with no problem being a marine, and wearing those dress blues. they will flock to him

JoeInVille
08-05-09, 12:39 PM
Your son will also be able to pick up on women with no problem being a marine, and wearing those dress blues. they will flock to him

Lol ok...and you know this how? You really dont wear your dress blues much at all. Women dont flock to you, you always have to chase them, just because you are a Marine doesnt mean you are GUARENTEED to have women. Hell, look at deployment, you see a lot of women in Afghan, nope. Just something your recruiter is telling you lol. I mean maybe if your in a non deployable MOS. Anyways, the whole girlfriend leaving Marine happens so much its rediculous, but hey, he will be fine. He can find many women to have a fun night with when he gets back from boot rofl.

Osotogary
08-05-09, 01:42 PM
Speaking as a parent, "Better now than later.", 1proudmom. The young lady has made a decision and has made that decision known to others. That's it. I wouldn't even ask why. Your son will be fine after a bit, once he finds out. Like his Father said, he will be too busy to care for now and your support will be available, I'm sure, upon request.
On a side note: I've known parents who became more stressed out, in this type of situation, than either their son or daughter which made the "situation" even more stressful.
Adios. All the best to your son.

marinemom
08-05-09, 02:12 PM
One word of advice - do not take any sides in this - not your son's at all. It may be harsh, but you have to remember that he is no longer your little boy - he is on is way to being a Marine - and that is the focal point he will concentrate on right now - keep it out of your letters.

This will probably not be major to him right now - as Gary and others have said - and by the time he graduates, he will be busy thinking of his School.

Relax - and be the supportive mom when he gets home.

Warbyrd13
08-06-09, 01:12 AM
I got a Dear John letter in bootcamp and so did others in my platoon. This is normal and is expected.

DI's warn the recruits about this and remind them that if the girl leaves them during basic training then she wasn't good enough to be with a Marine. Then they tell us to make sure we wear our dress uniform out on a date with another girl and to ensure that our exgirlfriend see what see gave up. Bottom line is she will regret it and he won't even care later on in life.

For me it did not matter. My thoughts wee if the girl I had back then had problems with me being gone for only 3 months and needs that much attention to maker her feel good then how would she be able to handle me going to combat?

Realtionships are hard and the Marines make them harder. For him to date someone it will take hard work on both sides to make it work.

You son needs a strong woman to be there for him not some little girl who has no clue about the real world. There are plenty other women out there who will take care of your son and be support for him no matter what.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-06-09, 05:09 AM
Ma'am, quite simply, if she didn't want to be around now, then by golly, he didn't want her around LATER, either. While the pain will be real, it's not something many Marines haven't gone through before. It's NOT the end of the world, and time heals all wounds.

Besides, he wouldnt' want to be tied down anyway, what with being young and having his whole life ahead of him. This is likely the best thing that could have happened (even though it may not seem like it right now) and things will work out in the long run.

Good riddance to the nonhackin female.

Lastly, I'd suggest printing this out and sending it to him in Recruit training. Might help.

4myson
08-08-09, 09:59 PM
1proudmom, if you find a boot camp for moms, I'll go with you. My son will be picked up tomorrow to start a new chapter in his life. He is my first born so I am entering new territory, regardless of what he chose to do.
You are living what I fear will be coming for my son as he goes his way and she heads off to college. Time will tell. There is never a good time, have faith in him.

ssgtblue
08-08-09, 10:54 PM
WEll Sir very well put, but I guess I will say it.... Because like most Marines I have been there and done this,my GF at that time found her self someone else while I was in boot camp. Yes I was a little pist to say the least, but it was the best thing that happend to me. Let me tell you, the first west pac he will go on he will hope he is single and if he is not it will not matter anyhow. You got to love Thailand. And that is all I have to say about that....

Blue

1proudmom
08-09-09, 01:51 AM
thx,for giving me something else 2 worry about-lol .