PDA

View Full Version : son's ship date changed

kschmidt
08-05-09, 09:54 AM
My son (in DEP since 10/08) was originally supposed to ship out on 8/17/09. Yesterday his recruiter called and said his ship date was changed to 9/8. I'm not that surprised that it's changed but this date is a Tuesday, my guess because of the Labor Day holiday on Monday 9/7. (I jokingly asked my son last night, do Marines really celebrate Labor Day? He was not amused.) Anyway, in a shortened week like this, do they just compress the processing once they get to MCRD-PI? And, what are some of the reasons your ship date gets changed, after almost ten months? Sorry if these are dumb questions. I'm a nervous Mom!

TRosa06
08-05-09, 06:18 PM
It all depends on the MEPS station they ship out of and when their shipping schedule is. Mine shipped on a Monday and I got there on Tuesday at around 0100, there were others who didn't get there until Wed or Thurs. So I would have to say that it won't effect the process. The reasons to get your date pushed back can varie. It can be from not passing the IST or to many recruits being shipped on a certain date (this was my case). I'm sure there are others but those are the examples I can give. Also try not to worry so much, he will be in good hands. Hope this helps.

USMCDrippin
08-12-09, 12:55 PM
My recruits ship date was pushed forward one week. Try not to read too much into it. You have him for a few more weeks and he has a little more time to physically prep for boot. You will be fine. Get your letter writting skills up to date!!!

marinemom
08-12-09, 03:56 PM
My son had his date changed three times in a two week period - it happens sometimes, and while he did not like it, neither did I.

As has been said, enjoy the extra time, and no, the Recruit Depot does not celebrate Labor Day - it does do Thanksgiving and Christmas......

dizark
08-12-09, 08:34 PM
We did celebrate holidays like Presidents day, and Martin Luther Kings Birthday.. We celebrated by having 4 hours of free time in the morning, like a normal Sunday.