PDA

View Full Version : Will I be able to enlist?

Daveyy
08-04-09, 12:08 PM
I have a few questions and any help will be appreciated...sorry if this is long...

I have a past history of drug use, but have been clean for over a year now. I was never arrested, however I was just given a ticket for "marijuana posession" because i was with people that had some and the cops just ticketed everyone. This is a violation, not a criminal offense. I went to court and all they did was give me ACOD for a year. It is unsupervised probation and if i dont get in any trouble in the next year the case is dismissed and there is no record of it. Is this disqualifying, or can i enlist while on ACOD or at least afterwards?

About my past drug use...when i was 15 or 16 i was put in a psychiatric hospital for depression. They gave me a drug test and i tested positive for cocaine and marijuana. It was a one time use of cocaine. Im pretty sure cocaine use automatically disqualifyies you for enlistment (correct?). My question is...since the hospital is not a "legal" record, will the Marines see this? Im not even entirely sure if that kind of thing is kept on a hosptial record...Should i admit to it?

Also, a few years ago i used to see a psychologist/psychiatrist. I told them about the drugs i have used. I believe they wrote down what i said. Is that kind of thing on record for the military to see?

I know at first glance this all makes me look very bad. This was my past and mistakes were made and no im not proud of it. Im not the same person I was. Now ive been clean over a year, im in good shape, im highly motivated and want to do something good and constructive with my life. Its my dream to become a Marine and would give anything to be able to join..i just dont think i can now...is there still hope? If not the Marines...what about the Army? Are their standards for my given situation different? What about in the future? Everything I said above (except the ACOD) was before i was 18, if that even matters.

Thanks for taking your time to help me.

0331 2 0369
08-04-09, 12:14 PM
You need to get in touch with your local Recruiter. There are plenty of people on here that used drugs prior to joining the Corps. Not sure where the rest is going to get you but don't hold back. Be honest and up-front with the Recruiter so if you are able to enlist, it won't come back to bite you in the arse later on and you get booted for fraudulant enlistment.

0331 2 0369
08-04-09, 12:15 PM
You also need to take a few minutes and read the site rules. A profile will help you get more than enough information from the Marines here.

OB MSG
08-04-09, 12:20 PM
The Gunny is spot on. If you go talk to a recruiter they will know the best way to get you where you want to go, as long as there are no DQs.

Just be up-front and you should be fine. Stay motivated!