PDA

View Full Version : Ready my story and give random input please.

Katzman
08-04-09, 10:31 AM
A little history about me. Joined when I was 17, boot camp October 2006. Contract PFC and meritorious LCpl. Took me a year and a half to get promoted to Cpl because I didn't do my MCIs. So I get promoted August of last year and did all of my MCIs as soon as possible. I have excellent pro/cons (4.8/4.7) and a nice record. I've been to Iraq for only a year and I was on this last deployment to Iraq but they cut me because of my dwell time.

Well, I went home on RA back in May and referred someone, all was good while I was home, but the guy was actually enlisting a couple days after I came back to Lejeune. Forward two weeks, I'm at Mojave Viper doing my PTP there and my composite score cuts, a 1630. I ask my recruiter is everything is good and he says yes. I was told that the guy was put under me and all is well.

Forward a couple more weeks. I ask my S-1 shop how exactly it works with a referral and they tell me the RSS has to send a fax to my BN and then I have to take it up to IPAC to get it added to my.. stuff (don't know what exactly it's added to), my MCTFS maybe? So For a month I'm talking with my recruiter, calling him almost every day seeing if he can't get me this paper. Well, I'm home on block leave, again, talking to him literally every day, and every day he says he'll talk to the SNCOIC and get this paper I need. Finally, two days before I go home I tell him that I NEED the sheet that day b/c I'm not going to be in town the last two days.. Well I end up talking to the SNCOIC and he said the poolee was never put under me!! I was relatively mad, this stopped me from getting promoted yesterday.

Either way, I talk to my chain of command, essentially what's going to happen is my RSS is going to send a memorandum to my chain saying that it was messed up on their side, and this is going to be put into a package to get my promotion date set back to August 1st. I would have been one of the three people with a 1650 to get promoted.

I'm just wondering if this package to get it backdated will actually work?

Please give me your input.

Thanks

Cpl Katzman

Katzman
08-04-09, 10:33 AM
Whoops, not random input, real input please :) And if this package doesn't work out, the RSS says they'll give me a guy this friday to go under me in place of the guy who was supposed to back in May. I'll have a 1703 when my score recomputes so I'll get promoted in October, still a Sergeant in under three years, that's my goal!

0331 2 0369
08-04-09, 10:38 AM
You want this sugar coated or honest?

I don't do sugar coating very well so here ir is..... You are a Cpl of Marines. You using a referral just to get promoted seems pretty lame to me. But, thats the way the system is. So be it.

Katzman
08-04-09, 10:44 AM
You want this sugar coated or honest?

I don't do sugar coating very well so here ir is..... You are a Cpl of Marines. You using a referral just to get promoted seems pretty lame to me. But, thats the way the system is. So be it.

I see what you're saying, GySgt, however it is not my choice to have the program in place, people way above my pay grade have put it there and have kept it there for some time now. Also, every Marine has the option to utilize the same avenue to get promoted if they so choose. So all in all I believe that if you do utilize it, you're taking initiative to go more above and beyond the average Marine.

Cpl Katzman

zx6rdr
08-04-09, 11:03 AM
Regardless of what happened/happens; you are definately a fast burner and are already ahead of your peers, good job.

However, did you ever think about it this way; If you would have done your Cpl MCI's sooner, you would have a few more TIG points and not need the recruiter points? Just My 2 Cents ( I learned the hard way; I was a LCpl for Longer than you have been in ***DAMN!***)

Also, I have been out for a while now so I apologize if my facts are incorrect in saying that TIG still goes towards your Comp Score......

Katzman
08-04-09, 11:23 AM
Regardless of what happened/happens; you are definately a fast burner and are already ahead of your peers, good job.

However, did you ever think about it this way; If you would have done your Cpl MCI's sooner, you would have a few more TIG points and not need the recruiter points? Just My 2 Cents ( I learned the hard way; I was a LCpl for Longer than you have been in ***DAMN!***)

Also, I have been out for a while now so I apologize if my facts are incorrect in saying that TIG still goes towards your Comp Score......

You are exactly correct. I failed miserably by not doing them when I was a lance. I would probably have gotten promoted just with those extra points from TIG.

zx6rdr
08-04-09, 11:29 AM
I would like to add that by no means am I saying that the RS is not at fault in this situation either.
Stay motivated, and once again, Good Job

0331 2 0369
08-04-09, 12:08 PM
I see what you're saying, GySgt, however it is not my choice to have the program in place, people way above my pay grade have put it there and have kept it there for some time now. Also, every Marine has the option to utilize the same avenue to get promoted if they so choose. So all in all I believe that if you do utilize it, you're taking initiative to go more above and beyond the average Marine.

Cpl Katzman

You are very true as far as the program goes. It has been around since before you were probably even born. As for the rest.... I'll keep to myself.

Katzman
08-04-09, 12:17 PM
You are very true as far as the program goes. It has been around since before you were probably even born. As for the rest.... I'll keep to myself.

Thanks for the input though, GySgt.

Ooh Rah!

Cpl Katzman

0331 2 0369
08-04-09, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the input though, GySgt.

Ooh Rah!

Cpl Katzman

Good luck to you killer! :beer:

Katzman
08-04-09, 12:40 PM
Good luck to you killer! :beer:

Ha ha GySgt, I'll be 21 on Friday, and I'll be having that beer in the picture!:beer:

OB MSG
08-04-09, 01:02 PM
Just remember to drink responsibly... say no to the Four Horsemen! (Had a Marine throw that down on his 21st. We extracted him from the rack at noon the next day and he was still bleary!)

Katzman
08-04-09, 01:18 PM
The four horsemen? Never heard of it. I'll probably just have a few beers :)

OB MSG
08-04-09, 01:40 PM
Four shots, lined up: Jim, Jack, Johnny, and Jose. Just work your way down the line.

Katzman
08-04-09, 01:57 PM
I think I'll be good with Just beer SSgt :)