PDA

View Full Version : Pendleton students reach for stars

thedrifter
08-04-09, 06:21 AM
Pendleton students reach for stars

8/3/2009 By Lance Cpl. Damien Gutierrez , Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton
MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. —

To encourage Camp Pendleton students to keep their enthusiasm about the upcoming school year, the Marine Corps Exchange is scheduled to kick off its eighth annual Super Star Student Program, Sept. 30.

The Super Star Student Program is an incentive tool that keeps students striving to make good grades by rewarding them throughout the school year. The program aims to stimulate study-habits and improve knowledge and learning abilities, said Mary Visperas, customer service representative, Marine Corps Exchange.

Students in grades 6 through 12 who obtain a “B” average or above each school semester are eligible to participate. Home-schooled students are encouraged to partake as well.

Children have the chance to win Marine Corps Exchange gift cards worth up to $500 or a U.S. savings bond worth up to $1,000. Each ticket has a winning prize.

To receive rewards during the 2009-2010 school year students must bring their report card from the last grading period to any Marine Corps Exchange customer service office and receive a scratch-off card.

“I am so appreciative that Marine Corps Community Services has continued with this program,” said Heather R. Latigo, military spouse, Camp Pendleton. “This has been a great way for my children to keep up their grades for as long as I can remember.”

Eligible students must be authorized patrons of the Marine Corps Exchange. Students are limited to one visit per grading period.

“There is no better feeling that I get when I see my child’s face as he scratches off his card,” said Brandy C. Zamora, military spouse, Camp Pendleton. “When he or she wins the look of accomplishment he has in his eyes is unforgettable.”

Ellie