PDA

View Full Version : Best Course of Action

fox223
08-03-09, 02:39 PM
I'll start with some background:

I'm currently finishing up pre-requisites for Pharmacy School. I have two more semesters left and I'll be done and ready to apply :banana:. Pharmacy Schools in Utah start in the fall, mid to late August. I am also engaged, and my fiance and I have the wedding planned for June 17th of next year.

With planning a wedding, finishing up pre-requesite classes, studying and taking the PCAT (Pharmacy College Admissions Test), there hasn't been much time for Boot Camp and SOI. I plan on joining the reserves, but it hasn't really been an option until pre-requisites are finished.

Now that I am almost done with them, I've run into another issue. I will be applying for pharmacy school next year, and if I get accepted it will be another 3-4 years (depending on the school) before I can persue my goals with the Marines. If I don't get accepted, I would like to go immediately to Boot Camp and persue this goal - that year off of school would be perfect for Recruit Training and SOI, then I could come back to Utah a MARINE and try for pharm. school the next year.

This would mean that I wouldn't be going to Boot Camp until September 2010 - the azz end of FY09 correct? I am worried it would be slim pickings as far as MOS's go that late in the year. I would like to have the option of choosing between MOS's and units here in Utah.

I know that an individual can be in the DEP for up to one year, and I was wondering if that would be the thing to do. Enlist in the DEP this October when the new MOS list comes out, secure an MOS and a ship date for Aug/Sept 2010, attend poolee functions to assist with Marine Corps knowledge and P.T. and wait and see what happens with my Pharmacy School application.

That way, if I wasn't accepted, I would have my MOS already secured and could even take an earlier ship date if one were to open up. However, if I were to be accepted to pharmacy school, I would have to drop out of DEP. I know that this is an option, but is frowned upon which is understandable. I am wondering what would be the best option, and was hoping I could get the opinions of a few Marines.

I apologize ahead of time for the length of this post. It is much longer than I intended.

Big Jim
08-03-09, 02:50 PM
I'll start with some background:

I'm currently finishing up pre-requisites for Pharmacy School. I have two more semesters left and I'll be done and ready to apply :banana:. Pharmacy Schools in Utah start in the fall, mid to late August. I am also engaged, and my fiance and I have the wedding planned for June 17th of next year.

With planning a wedding, finishing up pre-requesite classes, studying and taking the PCAT (Pharmacy College Admissions Test), there hasn't been much time for Boot Camp and SOI. I plan on joining the reserves, but it hasn't really been an option until pre-requisites are finished.

Now that I am almost done with them, I've run into another issue. I will be applying for pharmacy school next year, and if I get accepted it will be another 3-4 years (depending on the school) before I can persue my goals with the Marines. If I don't get accepted, I would like to go immediately to Boot Camp and persue this goal - that year off of school would be perfect for Recruit Training and SOI, then I could come back to Utah a MARINE and try for pharm. school the next year.

This would mean that I wouldn't be going to Boot Camp until September 2010 - the azz end of FY09 correct? I am worried it would be slim pickings as far as MOS's go that late in the year. I would like to have the option of choosing between MOS's and units here in Utah.

I know that an individual can be in the DEP for up to one year, and I was wondering if that would be the thing to do. Enlist in the DEP this October when the new MOS list comes out, secure an MOS and a ship date for Aug/Sept 2010, attend poolee functions to assist with Marine Corps knowledge and P.T. and wait and see what happens with my Pharmacy School application.

That way, if I wasn't accepted, I would have my MOS already secured and could even take an earlier ship date if one were to open up. However, if I were to be accepted to pharmacy school, I would have to drop out of DEP. I know that this is an option, but is frowned upon which is understandable. I am wondering what would be the best option, and was hoping I could get the opinions of a few Marines.

I apologize ahead of time for the length of this post. It is much longer than I intended.

Thats alot of assuming you are doing there based on not much information of completion of anything at all. If you have aspirations of going to pharmacy school then do it. If you have aspirations of being a Marine...then do that. The Marine Corps does not take a back seat to what you want though. Thats a fact. If you do decide to become a Marine...it will change your life and take precedent over everything....if at least for bootcamp and A-school and more if you're recalled into active duty from the reserves.

People wait for a long time just to get into the Marine Corps and there is alot of preparation necessary in order to at least be accepted by the Marine Corps. Take that into consideration and do not take your committment lightly. Be as serious as you can be because you will be doing something hardly anyone ever does or gets a chance to do....becoming a Marine and having the opportunity to be a part of something bigger than yourself. Think more on this before making a spontaneous spur-of-the-moment decision just because you want to "pursue a Marine Corps enlistment" if school doesn't work out for you.

fox223
08-03-09, 07:41 PM
Thats alot of assuming you are doing there based on not much information of completion of anything at all. If you have aspirations of going to pharmacy school then do it. If you have aspirations of being a Marine...then do that. The Marine Corps does not take a back seat to what you want though. Thats a fact. If you do decide to become a Marine...it will change your life and take precedent over everything....if at least for bootcamp and A-school and more if you're recalled into active duty from the reserves.

People wait for a long time just to get into the Marine Corps and there is alot of preparation necessary in order to at least be accepted by the Marine Corps. Take that into consideration and do not take your committment lightly. Be as serious as you can be because you will be doing something hardly anyone ever does or gets a chance to do....becoming a Marine and having the opportunity to be a part of something bigger than yourself. Think more on this before making a spontaneous spur-of-the-moment decision just because you want to "pursue a Marine Corps enlistment" if school doesn't work out for you.

There in lies the problem Sergeant, I have asparations for both. The only thing is, one of the goals is for myself while the other is for my family. As I stated, I am engaged and it's not just about what "I" want anymore. If it were, I would probably be with Charlie Co. (local unit) at Camp Pendleton training for their deployment to Afghanistan as we speak.

Part of me wants to just take the year off school and enlist. I have the rest of my life to become a pharmacist. I will only be young once. But on the other hand, I am so tired of school that part of me just wants to hurry up and finish already.

The last thing I want to do is make a spontaneous spur-of-the-moment decision. Thats exactly why I haven't sworn in yet. I am still trying to work out a gameplan so to speak and came on here for some insight and guidance.

And in no way am I seeing enlistment in the Marines as a back-up plan in case pharmacy school doesn't work out. The way I see it, the job of the Corps is far more important than counting pills. I am only persuing a career in pharmacy to provide a comfortable life for myself and my family down the road. Serving my country is my passion, and it has been a deep desire of mine since I was very young. And from what I have heard and understand, believing Recruit Training is easy enough to consider a "back-up plan" would be a mistake. :evilgrin:

Big Jim
08-03-09, 08:29 PM
There in lies the problem Sergeant, I have asparations for both. The only thing is, one of the goals is for myself while the other is for my family. As I stated, I am engaged and it's not just about what "I" want anymore. If it were, I would probably be with Charlie Co. (local unit) at Camp Pendleton training for their deployment to Afghanistan as we speak.

Part of me wants to just take the year off school and enlist. I have the rest of my life to become a pharmacist. I will only be young once. But on the other hand, I am so tired of school that part of me just wants to hurry up and finish already.

The last thing I want to do is make a spontaneous spur-of-the-moment decision. Thats exactly why I haven't sworn in yet. I am still trying to work out a gameplan so to speak and came on here for some insight and guidance.

And in no way am I seeing enlistment in the Marines as a back-up plan in case pharmacy school doesn't work out. The way I see it, the job of the Corps is far more important than counting pills. I am only persuing a career in pharmacy to provide a comfortable life for myself and my family down the road. Serving my country is my passion, and it has been a deep desire of mine since I was very young. And from what I have heard and understand, believing Recruit Training is easy enough to consider a "back-up plan" would be a mistake. :evilgrin:

Well it seems to me that you answered your own question......you are in a very good position to take care of your family. In my eyes, family comes first and I would do what needs to be done so they will be taken care of first. In my case, as with alot of Marines, I met my wife while I was active duty and she knew she was marrying a Marine. In your case, you are choosing a life of alot of lonely nights for her and your kids while you would be away in bootcamp in A-school or on some deployment...even then you're subject to being deployed. This would be that way for at least the first enlistment until you gain rank and position if not alot longer. The Marine Corps life is a hard one and it's even harder on a marriage. I have also seen far too many kids of divorced parents to not be honest with you on this point.

My advice would be to stick to your original plan and become that Pharmacist for your wife and kids. They need you more than the Marine Corp needs you. At least I see you do have some keen insight to understand what a committment this would be to not only you....but to your family if you were to become a Marine. You see, the Marine Corps life is all about sacrificing for what you are doing and doing what you believe in.....and for a married Marine....not only is he sacrificing his time, efforts and giving his loyalty, dedication to duty and family....his entire family is doing the same thing in support of him being in harm's way. Every person that loves that Marine is also sacrificing as well. Have you talked this over with her as it is partly her decision. This is what I meant by a serious decision and you have a family already. Think about it somemore....think about your family. If you have any more questions...just ask, ok? Good luck.

fox223
08-04-09, 06:09 PM
Well it seems to me that you answered your own question......you are in a very good position to take care of your family. In my eyes, family comes first and I would do what needs to be done so they will be taken care of first. In my case, as with alot of Marines, I met my wife while I was active duty and she knew she was marrying a Marine. In your case, you are choosing a life of alot of lonely nights for her and your kids while you would be away in bootcamp in A-school or on some deployment...even then you're subject to being deployed. This would be that way for at least the first enlistment until you gain rank and position if not alot longer. The Marine Corps life is a hard one and it's even harder on a marriage. I have also seen far too many kids of divorced parents to not be honest with you on this point.

My advice would be to stick to your original plan and become that Pharmacist for your wife and kids. They need you more than the Marine Corp needs you. At least I see you do have some keen insight to understand what a committment this would be to not only you....but to your family if you were to become a Marine. You see, the Marine Corps life is all about sacrificing for what you are doing and doing what you believe in.....and for a married Marine....not only is he sacrificing his time, efforts and giving his loyalty, dedication to duty and family....his entire family is doing the same thing in support of him being in harm's way. Every person that loves that Marine is also sacrificing as well. Have you talked this over with her as it is partly her decision. This is what I meant by a serious decision and you have a family already. Think about it somemore....think about your family. If you have any more questions...just ask, ok? Good luck.

Yes Sergeant, we have spoken about this many times. While it is not something she would like me to do, simply because of the risk, she understands why I want to join. She has said "If it were up to me, I'd say don't go. But I don't want to be the reason you don't follow your dream." She has expressed a feeling of guilt for wanting me to stay, while I have the same feeling for wanting to join. As of right now we do not have kids. If we did, that fact would have made my decision for me. It would be even more difficult to leave for Boot, SOI, and a possible deployment if I was leaving her to care for our children by herself. And while we're on the subject, if I were to wait until after school to join the Marines, and we were to start a family, while it would be a blessing, it would also effectiveley eliminate any career in the Marines.

I forgot to mention that she is also doing the pharmacy school thing. While I can't imagine what it would be like for her if something were to happen to me in the Marines, I am glad that she could take care of herself financially. Also, we are still living with parents trying to save as much money as we can for school. We are puting in a basement apartment in her parents house so we can live together, and pay less for rent than we would anywhere else. I know we'll be moving out after school, but if I do decide to join, she will be at home with the support and love of her family.

You're absolutely right Sergeant, I still have a lot to think about. But this little thread has helped answer a lot of questions I had. Thanks for taking the time to give me another perspective and some helpful words of wisdom and advice.

mjhpgh
08-04-09, 06:21 PM
Finish school!