PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about coming back...

azdevildogg
08-03-09, 01:24 PM
Semper Fi, Marines! <br />
<br />
I have a couple questions and a short story about myself. I am a former Marine reservist discharged Jan 08 after just less than 3 years. I was given an RE-3P discharge code...

ritter
08-03-09, 02:16 PM
Contact SSgt. Gordon at 503-286-3962 and ask him your questions. He is a prior service recruiter and is good to go. Tell him Sgt. Ritter sent you and he will be sure to get you pointed in the correct direction.

azdevildogg
08-04-09, 11:25 PM
Thank you, Sgt Ritter. I will call him ASAP.

ritter
08-05-09, 05:01 PM
Keep us posted on the information you obtain and good luck!
Sgt. Ritter

azdevildogg
08-06-09, 03:03 AM
Thank you so much, Sgt. Ritter. I spoke with SSgt Gordon today and he was more helpful than my original recruiter!!! He gave me all the information I needed to get this process going and even gave me a plan of action. More importantly, he gave me hope and let me know that it's possible, it will just take some work.

It looks like I'm going to have to go back reserve first, at least until I get some time in and the Corps opens its doors a little more freely again.

My only problem is my local PSR. Last time I spoke with him he told me there was NO CHANCE at all of coming back and yet SSgt Gordon told me something different so I'm a bit concerned...if I do my part will he really do his part? Kind of disconcerting but I'll pull my weight and get EVERYTHING he needs so when I approach him hopefully he'll be more willing to help.

Any advice?

fjmas1976
08-06-09, 10:35 AM
PM sent to you AZDEVILDOG

ritter
08-06-09, 12:28 PM
Azdevildogg,
I would go with whatever SSgt. Gordon told you because he hasn’t let me down yet. My advice would be to have everything you need to come back in ready to go but to also be ready to tackle some obstacles. It took me 2 years and few months to get back in and it go to the point, a few times, where people were suggesting that I look at other branches; however, I was persistent and didn’t take my eye off the prize which in this case was reentry into the Marine Corps. From what you have told us it sounds as if your PSR isn’t willing to take on a challenge and you will run into this with some PSR’s. However, since you have no chain of command you are more or less a free agent and can speak to whomever you desire to about coming back in. If nothing is being done to help you get back in I would recommend writing a letter to your congressman, just threatening to do it usually gets people moving in the right direction. Good luck in getting back in- Sgt. Ritter

azdevildogg
08-06-09, 02:35 PM
Sgt Ritter,

Thank you for your advice. I truly believe I have every opportunity to come back in and I also believe that I have a PSR that isn't willing to do his part, per se, without a kick in the butt, so I'm not even going to contact him until I have it all in hand. Letters of rec, med docs, SRB, EVERYTHING I need so that when it comes down to it, he won't have anything to "worry" about, other than the little bit of work he has to do (and I do mean little bit).

Thanks again, Sgt Ritter...I'll make sure to keep everyone updated!