PDA

View Full Version : Bristol teachers learn the gruelling lessons of life with the Marines

thedrifter
08-03-09, 09:23 AM
Bristol teachers learn the gruelling lessons of life with the Marines
Monday, August 03, 2009, 07:00

Comment on this story

TWO super-fit teachers from Clifton have completed a training exercise with the Royal Marine Reserves in California.

Dr David Snell, 36, and Julian Cocks, 28, were two of 80 reservists who endured the blistering heat of the sun in the Sierra Nevada mountains.

The two-week exercise saw reservists training in arduous terrain, carrying more than 70lbs on their backs in soaring temperatures at heights of up to 12,000ft.

All five RMR units – London, Bristol, Merseyside, Tyne and Scotland – were involved in the Californian deployment, named Exercise Commando Strike.

Dr Snell, who teaches science at King's College Taunton in Somerset and has been a reservist for 10 years, said: "The high altitude yomping and abseiling has been good and is the sort of thing we could easily find ourselves doing on operations. Certainly the heat is similar to Afghanistan.

"The mule packing probably isn't immediately relevant but it's certainly an option for the future. In terms of the training, we couldn't do this kind of thing under these conditions anywhere in Europe.

"I wanted to join the Royal Marines at an early age, but I went to university and then pursued a civilian career. But the RMR offers me the chance to do both.

"The RMR definitely provides a different aspect of life, a chance to make some great friends from all different walks and they're lifelong friends. It offers the opportunity to do something interesting and fulfilling.

"As for challenge, well that goes without saying. You don't get a Green Beret for handing out sweets."

Mr Cocks, who is a trainee teacher, added: "I was at university when Operation Jacana was going on back in 2001 and watched the Royal Marines yomping around the mountains in Afghanistan – I just wanted to be a part of that.

"Now here I am. I've been to Afghanistan and now I've yomped about the mountains in America.

"The climate and terrain is as close as we can get to the hills of Afghanistan, so this is very good preparation for the guys who are about to deploy there."

Julian has deployed to Iraq twice – in 2004 as part of a team training Iraqi river police and again in 2006 as part of a force protection troop – as well as Afghanistan from 2007-08 as part of a reconnaissance team with 40 Commando.

He has also undertaken exercises in Sierra Leone and Norway.

In 2007-08, Dr Snell deployed to Afghanistan with 40 Commando, when he was a general duties marine with A Company.

Despite their part-time status, the reservists are as highly trained as any regular Royal Marine and must maintain the skills and fitness that are expected of a commando.

All the volunteers within the RMR have passed through the same rigorous commando course as their regular Royal Marines counterparts.

The volunteers who make up the RMR are from varied backgrounds and are drawn from all walks of civilian life.

The aim of exercise 'Commando Strike' was to allow the reservists to practice the skills required for this environment, such as climbing, abseiling, crossing rivers and even the use of pack animals to carry more equipment.

Exercise director Lieutenant Colonel Steve Corbidge said: "This has been a really challenging exercise for the guys, but they've performed brilliantly and produced some really excellent results.

"They arrived at base camp, at 6000ft, and within 24 hours were working in the mountains up to 12,000ft, with temperatures up to 95°F."

Ellie