PDA

View Full Version : Picture perfect: 8th Comm Bn Marine draws her way to success

thedrifter
08-03-09, 08:02 AM
AL ASAD AIR BASE, Iraq —

Lance Cpl. Nicole Nelson smiles as she lifts the black ink pen from the white canvas. She has just finished drawing a scorpion, the logo that will be displayed on the deployment T-shirt for Marines from 8th Communications Battalion, II Marine Expeditionary Force Headquarters Group (Forward).
“Art is an expression of feelings, emotions and what’s going on around you,” said Nelson, who is assigned to Company B, 8th Comm. Bn. “I see a picture in my head and draw that.”

When Nelson was just three years old, she started drawing farm animals. Throughout the years, she progressed to personal portraits and comic strips. Although she never took an art class until her sophomore year of high school, Nelson’s artistic ability did not go unnoticed. When she was just a freshman, California police used one of her drawings to track down a criminal.

“I was sitting in the car wash with my dad one day, and I recognized a guy working in the car wash,” recalled Nelson. “I couldn’t figure out why he looked familiar, but I decided to draw him washing the car. When I heard the description on the news again, I went down to the police station and gave them my drawing. They compared it to the composite [sketch] and the guy at the car wash was arrested shortly thereafter.”

As Nelson approached her high school graduation, she knew she wanted to pursue a career in art. After considering the financial obligation for colleges and art schools, however, Nelson decided to join the military and enlisted in the Marine Corps at the end of 2007.

“The Marines were the toughest branch, and I wanted to prove I could do the toughest thing out there,” said Nelson.

After graduating from communications school, Nelson joined 8th Comm. Bn., at Camp Lejeune, N.C., and worked as a radio operator for seven months before deploying to Al Asad Air Base, Iraq, in January 2009.

Nelson spends her free time drawing, painting and practicing calligraphy, which she said has been a good stress relief. She said this deployment has taught her a lot about the importance of paying attention to small details, something that helps her perform her job well and improve her art skills.

1st Lt. Ray Longoria, executive officer for Co. B, said Nelson is always eager to learn and excel in whatever she puts her mind to.

“She’s come a long way in learning her [military occupational specialty] and has become one of the best radio operators we have,” said Longoria.

Longoria said Nelson’s enthusiasm and artistic talents were the reasons he first approached her about the idea of designing a unit T-shirt.

“It’s amazing to see someone with that kind of talent,” said Longoria. “When someone is that good at drawing, it’s fun to watch them work.”

When Nelson returns to the United States, she plans on starting college classes to pursue a degree in visual communications. Nelson said she also hopes to get experience working with other forms of art such as ceramics, ice sculpting and charcoals.

“Discovering a new [art media] is like discovering a new country,” said Nelson. “You get to learn new methods and new ways of expressing things.”

As Nelson continues to serve her country in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, she keeps the Marine mission in mind and a pencil in hand, evidence of her great skill as a Marine and an artist.