PDA

View Full Version : Wishing to leave DEP

deBeer
08-01-09, 03:43 AM
I haven't been on the forums for awhile so I won't be surprised if most of you don't remember me, not that I made a huge impact on the forums anyway.

I wish to leave to the DEP because I have a 5 year contract for aviation mechanic and it was my dads wish for me to take the job for something when I come out, I don't think I will like the job. I leave august 10th and I don't want to take a gamble with 5 years of my life to do something I probably won't like. I just told myself I will make a lot of money when I come out but with little over a week till I ship its hitting me hard that I can't take that chance.

I took the initiative and went to the Army office to see what they could offer me. They have the job I want which is airborne medic with the scores to get it. All I have to do is leave the DEP but the only thing that concerns me is the Army recruiters were telling me that my recruiter can withhold my information making it impossible for me to start signing papers for up to a year.

I searched the topic and found that I am allowed to leave the DEP since its non binding. My question is can he really withhold my information and if he does, is there someway I can get him to release them.

GyC
08-01-09, 06:34 AM
It doesn't sound like you have a good relationship with your Recruiter. The reason I say that, is that if you have issue with your job, you can talk with your Recruiter about that, and he can help...

deBeer
08-01-09, 11:47 AM
I already requested for an 0300 contract and well I never got one. My commitment is not worth 5 years of my life to something I don't want to do, especially when I have the choice to back out. I tried to have to MOS changed and I didnt get it changed. Point is, the Marine Corps isn't offering me what I want, the Army is. My mind is allowed to change GyC, I'm allowed that. Also, yes I am at the edge of a cliff, looking down, but not that I'm lacking intestinal fortitude but I don't have anymore BS to cloud my mind to make me want to do something, I simply don't want to do.

Zulu 36
08-01-09, 02:06 PM
It seems to me if you "really" wanted to be an "airborne medic" all along, the Marine Corps was the wrong place to go in the first place. Seeing as the Corps has very few "airborne" slots and no "medic" slots of any kind, you were screwed, blued, and tattooed from the start.

It seems that everybody and their brother who wants to be a Marine wants an infantry MOS. Only so many boatspaces in that MOS field, casualties not withstanding.

I always wanted to be a Marine. Period. I worried about getting the MOS I really liked later on.

Have fun in the Army.

P.S. For someone who wanted to be a grunt so bad, those are some pretty lame IST scores. No wonder the recruiter hasn't been busting his butt to help you out.

GyC
08-01-09, 04:12 PM
Well, ok moto... Good luck in the Army... I like that quote on your profile too... You should think about that in the future... You are certainly allowed to change your mind, no one is holding a gun...

Petz
08-01-09, 06:13 PM
so, to expand on what the gunny is saying... you won't be leaving any-time soon.

so you probably won't get your airborne medic job either.

seriously... why does everyone want infantry?! pick another job... I know too many grunts who hate their decision because they were too damn smart for it... you get to a point and you just ask... why are we still doing it this way? and you break.

aviation mechs have it pretty good, there are other jobs that have it great too...

I really don't understand your rationale. I remember you on the forums, you seemed like you knew what you were doing.

this seems like fear of the un-known to me.

you'll have the same feeling going to the army... but you'll recognize it then and won't be afraid of it then... then you'll be a nasty doggie... yelling hooah all the time... wearing velcro pockets that make lots of noise when you open them in the field, having a camoflauge uniform that doesn't work in afganistan or any other jugle... having to always wear your sleeves down even in the rear when it's 100 degrees out...

the good news is you'll be able to call your first sarge, Bob... 'cause that's his first name.

if you don't have what it takes to be a Marine then I hope you enjoy your army dog life.

Alisium
08-02-09, 01:36 AM
seriously... why does everyone want infantry?! pick another job... I know too many grunts who hate their decision because they were too damn smart for it...

Contrary to popular belief to be a good Infantry Marine you need brains and commonsense. Probably more than most MOS's available today.

deBeer
08-03-09, 03:58 AM
Im going to the Marine Corps office tomorrow. SSgt said he might be able to give me 0300 in the Marine Corps. I want to be a Marine but infantry is where my heart is at. As much as I want to be a Marine, I want something I could be proud to do and like to do.

Zulu 36, those IST scores havent been updated in quite some time. I took a break from the forums. In the beginning I didnt "really" want to be "airborne medic". But with thoughts of backing out and doing some research on the Army I would have picked airborne medic. The wording of that post made it sound like I wanted it. But in reality I want infantry, medic was just a bonus that I can deal without.

SSgt Petzold, I remember you too. My friends brother is airborne medic and he said they need them. When I think about it, it is fear of the unknown. I never did any mechanic work and I was never interested in it one bit. I don't hate it but its not a career I would happiley pursue. 5 years is just a long time to just cross your fingers and pray your going to like it.

GyC, I expected a lot of ****, just like I expected **** from my recruiter when I informed him of my thoughts, but it looks like there might be a chance of me getting 0300 tomorrow. If I get an 0300 contract and still leave on August 10th theres not much more for me to say other than I respect you and all Marines, you're something I wish to become.

Lupo22
08-03-09, 07:06 AM
This kid is the the same kid that decides he wants out of boot camp after week 1 and tells the D.I. he's suicidal so that he can go home and 4 months later after we graduate, he's still in some RSP waiting to go home while good, hard-working recruits are getting dropped for hurting themselves while putting out 110% because they WANT to be a Marine! They don't give some run around about "All I want to be is an airborne medic" and then say "In the beginning I didn't really want to be an airborne medic".

Face it, you want something easy. You probably found Army basic was a joke compared to the USMC BOOT camp and decided you wanted to go there. Well, go there. Please don't clog up my island with nastiness and negativity, coming on a Marine site to find out how to get out. Please. Go join the Army, roll down them sleeves, wear your little goofy cover and your camo's in public like its your proud uniform, and when you see US in our Dress Blues at that same place and time, just put your head down and know that you could have been there too.

Oh and enjoy your 15 month deployments! But in all seriousness, good luck to you in whatever you chose. I hope you figure it out for yourself.

0331 2 0369
08-03-09, 08:36 AM
daBeer.... Looks like you have already established dought in your mind about the Marine Corps. That shows that you REALLY don't want to be a Marine. You are just job hunting. There are plenty of jobs out there. Get the local paper and look in the classifieds. If you have dought at this point, you always will. Go ahead and join the Army. That is probably in your best interest and what you really wanted in the first place.

I have read your post so don't come back with an insult such as "I said.....". If you REALLY wanted to be a Marine, you would have followed through with your commitment and joined our Corps. You could have always made a LAT move later if the MOS wasn't what you really wanted or liked. As for you starting this thread on this site shows a lack of commitment on your part. Hopefully your Recruiter will be more understanding.

CarriO
08-03-09, 10:24 AM
All I have to say is, there were two things that I didn't want to do in the Marine Corps: Be a mechanic, or work with computers. And guess what my job is? I'm a freaking system administrator. I work with computers ALL DAY LONG. I got put in a job that I didn't want to do for 5 years, and I couldn't be happier. Being a Marine is probably one of the best decisions anyone could ever make. I watched the other services throughout MOS school, and they just don't measure up to the high standards of the Marine Corps. And they know it. That's why when we walk on the sidewalk, everyone else moves for US. Haha. It's kind of funny actually. But seriously though, if you haven't quit the DEP yet, I'd really think about it first, because being a Marine is truly an honor and a privilege if you can get through boot. It will be one of the most maturing and life changing experiences of your life. Don't get me wrong, it's not always perfect, and there will be some bullcrap you will have to put up with. But it is what it is, and it will be a great experience when you look back.

If you really really really just must be a Doc though, I'd go the Navy Corpsman route.

Big Jim
08-03-09, 11:00 AM
All I have to say is, there were two things that I didn't want to do in the Marine Corps: Be a mechanic, or work with computers. And guess what my job is? I'm a freaking system administrator. I work with computers ALL DAY LONG. I got put in a job that I didn't want to do for 5 years, and I couldn't be happier. Being a Marine is probably one of the best decisions anyone could ever make. I watched the other services throughout MOS school, and they just don't measure up to the high standards of the Marine Corps. And they know it. That's why when we walk on the sidewalk, everyone else moves for US. Haha. It's kind of funny actually. But seriously though, if you haven't quit the DEP yet, I'd really think about it first, because being a Marine is truly an honor and a privilege if you can get through boot. It will be one of the most maturing and life changing experiences of your life. Don't get me wrong, it's not always perfect, and there will be some bullcrap you will have to put up with. But it is what it is, and it will be a great experience when you look back.

If you really really really just must be a Doc though, I'd go the Navy Corpsman route.

NOW THATS SOME GOOD ADVICE RIGHT THERE........NAVY CORPSMAN HAVE MY UTMOST RESPECT AND ALWAYS HAD MY PROTECTION WHEN THEY WERE IN MY UNIT....

boomer56328
08-03-09, 11:25 AM
seriously... why does everyone want infantry?! pick another job... I know too many grunts who hate their decision because they were too damn smart for it...

I find that statement pretty offensive. I've found on this website that whenever a grunt says anything about another MOS, everyone who wasn't infantry gets all butt hurt and they slam the guy who said it. I'm not saying that is not a correct response, but then i've also seen people say things like this about us infantryman and no one seems to care. You had your job and i'm sure you did it well. I also had a job and believe I did it equally as well , and I also believe I had to be a little past complete dumbass to do it.

rufio14
08-03-09, 11:57 AM
We'll see how much he loves the infantry during field week in boot, during the humps, or during the crucible. I've seen guys that signed up to go infantry that just could not hack it in the field. It's not all glam and glory once your really there. You'll see how much your really into being a grunt when your stinky, tired, haven't showered for a week and your cammies are stiff with stale sweat. And if he does end up going into our Corps as a non-infantry MOS I bet somewhere around half way through MCT he'll think, man I'm glad I'm not a grunt.

GyC
08-03-09, 11:57 AM
Im going to the Marine Corps office tomorrow. SSgt said he might be able to give me 0300 in the Marine Corps. I want to be a Marine but infantry is where my heart is at. As much as I want to be a Marine, I want something I could be proud to do and like to do.

Zulu 36, those IST scores havent been updated in quite some time. I took a break from the forums. In the beginning I didnt "really" want to be "airborne medic". But with thoughts of backing out and doing some research on the Army I would have picked airborne medic. The wording of that post made it sound like I wanted it. But in reality I want infantry, medic was just a bonus that I can deal without.

SSgt Petzold, I remember you too. My friends brother is airborne medic and he said they need them. When I think about it, it is fear of the unknown. I never did any mechanic work and I was never interested in it one bit. I don't hate it but its not a career I would happiley pursue. 5 years is just a long time to just cross your fingers and pray your going to like it.

GyC, I expected a lot of ****, just like I expected **** from my recruiter when I informed him of my thoughts, but it looks like there might be a chance of me getting 0300 tomorrow. If I get an 0300 contract and still leave on August 10th theres not much more for me to say other than I respect you and all Marines, you're something I wish to become.

Well, when you talk with people, sometimes they work to resolve the issue at hand... LOL... Kind of my point... If you want to be a Marine, then you'll be one... I of course understand the importance of doing something that you enjoy or desire, but personally I'd scrape sh^t off the latrine as a Marine before I'd even think on putting a Doggie uniform on... Good luck with your situation...

rufio14
08-03-09, 12:26 PM
We'll how much he loves the infantry in boot durng field week, the humps or during the crucible. I've seen guys that signed up to go infantry that just couldn't hack it in the field. It's not all glam and glory once your really there. We'll see just how into being a grunt you are when your stinky, tired, hungry, haven't showered for a week and your cammies are stiff with stale sweat. And if he does go into our Corps as a non-infantry MOS I bet that somewhere around half way through MCT h'll say, man I'm glad I'm not infantry.
What you have to understand dabeer is that the Army runs itself like a corporation. The Marine Corps runs itself like a religion. In the Army it's an honor and previlage to become Airborne or a Ranger or SF or some other high speed unit. In the Marine Corps the previlage and honor is being a Marine. Thats why we don't wear unit patches like the Army. We don't distinguish what cool bad ass unit I'm in or whether my beret is black, red, green, pink or whatever. We are Marines and that's what matters. And when it comes down to it we are all rifle man. We are all trained in the infantry and given the skill necassary to kill. I know a refrigerator mechanic who did nothing but run convoys in Iraq. Got a bronze star I believe. My mom has a friend who's husband did 4 years in the Marine Corps band. He then enlisted in the Army and made it into a career. He now does recruiting and admin stuff for the Army ROTC at Arizona State. 20+ years later guess what sticker is on the back of his car? Thats right, the one with an Eagle, Globe and Anchor..if that doesn't say it all I don't know what does.

JoeInVille
08-03-09, 04:39 PM
Why would you want 0300, it doesnt make you like the Corps. I wish i had taken a job like aviation mechanic, you have a wide range of jobs you can get into when you leave the Corps. Wasted a 70 on the ASVAB, ****ed up my ankle, and now im out, all because i was a motard and wouldnt do anything but grunt.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-04-09, 01:47 AM
"Motard" LOL!!!! I haven't heard that in a long, long while.

Anyway.....

Quite frankly, it sounds to me like you have the 'jitters'. It's a big jump (no pun intended) going from civilian to 'recruit'. Cold feet is normal IMO. Everyone gets it.

However, like some here have said, if you REALLY, REALLY wanted to be an 'airborne medic' then why are you here to begin with? Go be an 'Army of one' or whatever they are calling it this week.

But in a year or two you'll be going "I coulda been a Marine" and trying to figure out how to transfer. But by then it'll be too late. You'll discover that the Army could give a rip about you for the most part, no matter what job you have, and will treat you like crap. Furthermore, you'll find some serious dregs of society that are serving with you, because there is no where else for them to go. Or do. (Don't believe me? The Army has lowered standards repeatedly over the past five years....do you think they get nothing but 'top quality' recruits???)

Bottom line, sheet or get off the pot. I suspect you came here and posted this because you want us to talk you 'out' of leaving and beg you to stay. Well, I'm not gonna do that. You wanna go? Fine. Leave, and no worries. There are plenty more like you just WAITING to fill your shoes. See, that's the difference between the Marines and the army. The army would beg you to stay. The Marine Corps will wish you well and you'll be quickly forgotten.

Your call.

marine95
08-04-09, 02:48 AM
I haven't been on the forums for awhile so I won't be surprised if most of you don't remember me, not that I made a huge impact on the forums anyway.

I wish to leave to the DEP because I have a 5 year contract for aviation mechanic and it was my dads wish for me to take the job for something when I come out, I don't think I will like the job. I leave august 10th and I don't want to take a gamble with 5 years of my life to do something I probably won't like. I just told myself I will make a lot of money when I come out but with little over a week till I ship its hitting me hard that I can't take that chance.

I took the initiative and went to the Army office to see what they could offer me. They have the job I want which is airborne medic with the scores to get it. All I have to do is leave the DEP but the only thing that concerns me is the Army recruiters were telling me that my recruiter can withhold my information making it impossible for me to start signing papers for up to a year.

I searched the topic and found that I am allowed to leave the DEP since its non binding. My question is can he really withhold my information and if he does, is there someway I can get him to release them.

deBeer,

Let me ask you how the hell is "Airborne Medic" and a Grunt the same thing. If you want to be an Airborne Medic that bad, go to medical school for 7 years and then go skydiving. Combine them both and you don't have to join any service. Another question, how much of the recruiters time did you waste?

GyC, I would hate to be that SNCOIC getting that call. And the recruiter is going to get some sh*t also. Semper I deBeer.

MD8724
08-05-09, 05:16 AM
deBeer, dude, you came to the wrong forum to ask about how to leave. Anyways, so if you don't talk to your recruiter and just not show up anymore, which you can do, things probably aren't going to be going your way for a while. If you man up, talk to him, think about whatever you need to think about, and if you still decide to get out, they will probably be more understanding.

You are right though, 5 years is a long time to do something you don't really want to do, and a big chance to take on something you are not sure about. Figure out something you like, and shoot for that. The Marine Corps has plenty of jobs man. Most of us aren't grunts, believe it or not.

Ultimately it's on you to make sure everything is good with your contract before you ship. If it's a job you want, make yourself competitive for it. If you don't think your recruiter is doing all he can for you, talk to him. If need be, talk to someone else. You don't have to bail just because everything isn't right at the moment. Work it out. Make it get worked out.

If Air Medic or whatever is ultimately what you want, then hey, go for it. Good on you for doing something at least. Even the Army is better than waiting tables at Applebees, which is what my friends are doing. Don't expect to not take **** for bailing on the Marines though. :)

Lupo22 - I can't wait for winter to keep my sleeves down ;). They get too damn sweaty here on Oki, all tight agianst my skin.

Lupo22
08-05-09, 08:25 PM
Lupo22 - I can't wait for winter to keep my sleeves down ;). They get too damn sweaty here on Oki, all tight agianst my skin.

hehe I hear ya Cpl!! Parris Island in the dog days of summer wasn't exactly pleasant weather!!!

Marine84
08-05-09, 08:58 PM
must.....................refrain.................. .

Sgt Leprechaun
08-05-09, 10:23 PM
Ohhhh...come on. You know you want to!

usmcspitfire
08-05-09, 10:40 PM

I think that it is great that you want to serve your country in a time of war, regardless of service.

However before you jump at the ABN Medic option, have you really explored your other options? Do you really think you will be doing HALO jumps out of a C-130 as an Airborne Medic? The reality is it sounds cooler than it probably is.

Have you looked into becoming a S.A.R.C. (Special Amphibious Reconnaissance Corpsman)? Talk about some bad mamma-jammas. Talk to a Navy recruiter about that option before you head into something else you might not like.

Petz
08-05-09, 11:10 PM
hehe... keep'em from bein' a doggie sir!!!

rufio14
08-06-09, 08:26 PM
I knew a SARC! Those guys are nuts!

deBeer
08-08-09, 12:16 AM
Scratch this post. I leave for MCRDPI this monday. I passed my IST today and all is well. Next time I talk to you guys ill hopefully be a Marine! By the way im going in for aviation mechanic.

Petz
08-08-09, 12:20 AM
glad to hear you settled on a decision. PM with your thoughts.

GyC
08-09-09, 06:55 AM
Scratch this post. I leave for MCRDPI this monday. I passed my IST today and all is well. Next time I talk to you guys ill hopefully be a Marine! By the way im going in for aviation mechanic.

Good luck Poolee... Semper Fi

Lupo22
08-09-09, 11:12 AM
HAHAHA MCRDPI got another one!!! No turning back now!!! Enjoy your vacation! I know I sure did!

Hehe just messin with ya. its not that bad and good luck! Go get that Title!!!!!

dizark
08-09-09, 12:23 PM
Good luck and be sure to come back and visit once you've earned the title.

rufio14
08-09-09, 06:55 PM
Good luck Poolie, remember it's all mental and it'll be well worth it in the end.

deBeer
08-10-09, 01:38 AM
I leave in 2 hours. Keep me in your prayers and when I come out on the otherside I hope to have some sweet boot camp stories =]