PDA

View Full Version : The use of "Gunny" by Poolees

Petz
07-31-09, 07:50 PM
Should this use of the rank Gunnery Sergeant be used by Poolees, in regards to recruiters, who should be learning the proper use of rank prior to shipping to boot camp?

let's hear your reason for your vote

(this is my first poll so if it's screwed up you can blame the difficult-to-use controls)

sparkie
07-31-09, 07:55 PM
It didn't show up as a poll. But my vote is He11 no. Reason,,,,,,, Learn Friggin Respect first,,,,,,,,

Petz
07-31-09, 08:01 PM
well it's working for me now.... try refreshing sparkie...

sparkie
07-31-09, 08:31 PM
Ok, Adam,,,,It's workin,,,,,, Guess how I voted.

Marine84
07-31-09, 08:48 PM
Not that I really give a rip but, since you asked.................

I think they should out of respect for the rank unless said Gny says different. If they are going to learn the rank structure, they should learn it correctly. Don't you think?

ecfree
07-31-09, 08:59 PM
Poolee's,I'm tired of them getting their way....:evilgrin:
I believe if the recruiter wants to be called gunny,then so be it....But these so called poolees should learn respect for the Marine Corps Rank and show it by address the Gunny as "Gunnery Sergeant"...nuff said..

Pete0331
07-31-09, 09:13 PM
So calling someone Gunny is inherently disrespectful?
Even if the "Gunny" says that it's ok?

I'm not going to make that call as to who can use the term Gunny.
The particular Gunny should make that call on their own.

Petz
07-31-09, 09:17 PM
this is true, but if you read the poll it shows reasons why you'd choose them.

they should be saying gunnery Sgt because if they have a GySgt DI... guess what, it's not going to be DI Gunny Slaughter now will it?

it's not going to be series gunny gunny Reaper...

poolees are training for boot camp, that's the point of the DEP... that's pretty cut and dry if you ask me.

Lisa 23
07-31-09, 09:24 PM
NO. I agree with those that said let them learn the rank structure and learn to have respect for Marine Corps rank.

Pete0331
07-31-09, 09:26 PM
this is true, but if you read the poll it shows reasons why you'd choose them.

they should be saying gunnery Sgt because if they have a GySgt DI... guess what, it's not going to be DI Gunny Slaughter now will it?

it's not going to be series gunny gunny Reaper...

poolees are training for boot camp, that's the point of the DEP... that's pretty cut and dry if you ask me.

Not a bad idea, but typing Gunnery Sergeant and speaking it in a stressful situation are not comparable.

If that is the case with the rank of E-7, everyone should be referred to by their rank.

Petz
07-31-09, 09:27 PM
Not that I really give a rip but, since you asked.................

I think they should out of respect for the rank unless said Gny says different. If they are going to learn the rank structure, they should learn it correctly. Don't you think?

you vote depends, but your opinion looks as though you lean towards no.... make up your mind woman!! haha. :D

Phantom Blooper
07-31-09, 09:28 PM
.... make up your mind woman!! haha. :D

One word- MENOPAUSE!:beer:

:evilgrin:

Petz
07-31-09, 09:46 PM
Not a bad idea, but typing Gunnery Sergeant and speaking it in a stressful situation are not comparable.

If that is the case with the rank of E-7, everyone should be referred to by their rank.

I think this is confused with on the site and in real life... this is for the poolee to the recruiter.

I don't mind the proper abbreviations online... I hate seeing Ssgt... it's SSgt!!!!

Pvt, PFC, LCpl (not L/Cpl), Cpl, Sgt, SSgt, GySgt, MSgt, MGySgt, 1stSgt, Sgt Maj... it's pretty simple. officers are easy... Sir....

GyC
07-31-09, 10:41 PM
Except for their Recruiter, who is usually the first Marine they meet... They call me Sir, and the first couple times they try and say Gunnery Sergeant, it usually comes out "Gunny" Sergeant, because they get all nervous (Recruiters tell them I'm a d%$k and I'm trying to disqualify them, and don't want them to join)... Then they learn the Rank Structure (usually whatever Ranks are in the office first)... They learn how to report (I have yellow footprints and the yellow handprint on my hatch), and they always use Gunnery Sergeant... Gunny slips out because they hear it around the office, I used to get a hair up my butt, but I don't anymore... Lax? It's not lax, sometimes there's more important things to worry about... S/F

HurricaneRJ
08-01-09, 12:14 AM
When I first met my recruiters the NCOIC was a Gunny, but he always had us call him Gunny.

When I got to SOI are Co. Guns would flip **** if you didn't call him Gunnery Sergeant because we were not his Marines.

I could give two **** either way.

nvusmcsgt
08-01-09, 01:08 PM
My main reason for no is like a few others here. They should be learning the proper rank structure and how to address those ranks. The term "Gunny" seems to have been around for a very long time, way before my time at least. I never once heard a Gunny tell someone they did not want to be called Gunny, maybe in school after boot camp and such but not in the fleet.

Supersquishy
08-01-09, 01:20 PM
kind of a grey area, But I should say NO for poolees to call the GySgt "Gunny" as if their drinking buddies, however I think it would be the duty of the Sgt or Cpl, or evan the PFC or PVT at the Recruiting station to lead by example and inform the Poolees the proper etiqete and respect for Higher ups. I believe the Poolees will follow as they want to become a Marine themselfs and follow the "rules".

Old Marine
08-01-09, 03:43 PM
Except for their Recruiter, who is usually the first Marine they meet... They call me Sir, and the first couple times they try and say Gunnery Sergeant, it usually comes out "Gunny" Sergeant, because they get all nervous (Recruiters tell them I'm a d%$k and I'm trying to disqualify them, and don't want them to join)... Then they learn the Rank Structure (usually whatever Ranks are in the office first)... They learn how to report (I have yellow footprints and the yellow handprint on my hatch), and they always use Gunnery Sergeant... Gunny slips out because they hear it around the office, I used to get a hair up my butt, but I don't anymore... Lax? It's not lax, sometimes there's more important things to worry about... S/F

Could be they call you sir, because of your age, not because of your rank. Its showing respect for your age and not your rank.

GyC
08-01-09, 04:37 PM
Could be they call you sir, because of your age, not because of your rank. Its showing respect for your age and not your rank.

I would agree to an extent... however, within the first few weeks they call everyone in a Marine Corps uniform Sir, to include the Private that just got back from Boot Camp... Once they're around for a bit, they use proper Rank, sometimes we get demoted or promoted, depends on the event... But for the most part, Gunnery Sergeant is common, however, as I said they hear Gunny when they go to MEPS, when the CO is here, and in conversation amongst Recruiters... I would say most know pretty well not to call their Drill Instructor Gunny... They'll get corrected if the Gunny minds... I've worked with one GySgt in my time, that didn't like hearing Gunny... Guess it just depends on the Gunny... S/F

William Hardy
08-02-09, 08:15 AM
When a recruiter has the FNG, it is part of the "sales" tactic. Letting them call him Gunny makes them feel like a part of the Corps and starts the mental training process. I think it is OK in that regard. Boot camp should straighten them out.

As far as afterwards.....Gunnery Sergeant is formal...Gunny informal.

Only those that I give permission to are allowed to call me Gunny..exceptions...those that are senior in rank and who are in my chain of command. Protocol also dictates that everyone must use the full name of a rank when in formal situations.

All others are to use the full name (any rank).

There are exceptions.....
When I was in the Army National Guard, I was called Gunny by many people, including some officers. Even though I had to give up 2 stripes when I joined up, I was accorded some respect for having been an E7 previously. In response, I allowed them to continue calling me Gunny even though it was not proper....besides, I liked it. In the Army rank structure, everyone E-5 through E7 is called Sergeant. It made me a bit different.

William Hardy
08-02-09, 09:03 AM
PS - Not just Gunny...Gunner? Top?...Mister?

Whether a poole or a salt, there is a proper way to address people in the military in all branches. As stated in my previous post, Formal - Informal. That's all there is to it.
In my entire time in the Corps, I never once called a Warrant Officer by his formal rank...It was Gunner (bursting bomb) or Mister.
I have used this rule for over 40 years and it has never failed me yet. I always call a person by their full rank until I get permission to say otherwise. Just like in the civilian world, no one is supposed to call an adult by their first name unless permission is given. It is always Mr/Mrs/Miss/Dr....etc and the last name. If you are friends or at least friendly, then first names may be acceptable, but not always in the present of others....for example, you may know a police officer and call him by his first name, but in public, he should be addressed by his title..Officer/Detective/Sgt...etc. It's just a sign of repect and it also applies to the military....you may call someone by their first name, but when in uniform you call him by rank.

There are formal rules of etiquette concerning the use of names.

Lupo22
08-02-09, 09:37 AM
Poolee's should call them by proper rank, if not sir because thats all they'll say at boot camp. But, there's people with more black on their collar than me who allow it so I'll keep my mouth shut

Rocky C
08-02-09, 10:04 AM
No, these kids are supposed to be preparing for boot camp!
Learn the Rank Structure and show some Respect.

Supersquishy
08-02-09, 01:23 PM
Having to say "Yes Master Gunnery Sergeant" 4 times in one minute was always a tongue twister for me.

KevinR90
08-02-09, 01:54 PM
I say they should use the proper rank. Just because they're not Marines yet. However- it really doesn't matter in the end- b/c in boot camp they'll get corrected- and in the fleet they'll probably just call them "Gunny"

Covey_Rider
08-02-09, 02:12 PM
Personally, I don't think they rate.

Petz
08-02-09, 04:35 PM
Having to say "Yes Master Gunnery Sergeant" 4 times in one minute was always a tongue twister for me.

ends up sounding like "mister gurnery surgent"

semperfi170
08-02-09, 09:23 PM

Just a point of reference, E-7 is a pay grade, not a rank. All branches of the Armed Forces have that pay grade. The Marine Corps has Gunnery Sergeants. My memory as to which Commandant came out with a message stating that Marines were to be addressed by rank and not pay grade.