PDA

View Full Version : Campbell Selected for Marine Corps Aviation Association Air Crewman of the Year

thedrifter
07-31-09, 07:42 PM
Campbell Selected for Marine Corps Aviation Association Air Crewman of the Year
13th Marine Expeditionary Unit
Story by Cpl. Robert C. Medina
Date: 07.31.2009
Posted: 07.31.2009 04:11

USS BOXER, At Sea – Staff Sgt. Bryan Campbell, UH-1Y weapons and tactics crew chief instructor, Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 163 (Reinforced), 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit, was selected for the Marine Corps Aviation Association Air Crewman of the Year award, July 28.

This award is given to those who indicate exceptional leadership and dedication to mission accomplishment.

Campbell, known by his peers as "Soup," was awarded for his involvement in successfully integrating the new UH-1Y helicopter into the 13th MEU and Boxer Amphibious Ready Group during the "Venom's" first operational deployment. As the H-1 flight-line lead, he earned 24 new maintenance qualifications which enhanced the department's knowledge base and contributed to more than 80 percent readiness rate for its helicopters. Campbell also developed new tactics and procedures for a sea-based UH-1Y deployment and increased the combat effectiveness by training and evaluating 10 UH-1Y enlisted air crew, resulting in 95 air crew designations.

"He is a motivator and an example to his Marines and those around him," said Maj. Mark "Biter" Angersbach, a UH-1Y pilot with HMM-163.

Angersbach also said Campbell is a Marine that naturally inspires and that other Marines want to be like him.

"Bringing this helicopter to the fleet is a big step in my community," said Campbell, from Melbourne, Ark. "This is a very prestigious award that I am pleased to have won. I have to give credit to all the crew chiefs that took time to study for the flights, prepare the aircraft and be willing to learn."

Angersbach said Campbell is an excellent crew chief instructor and that he combines a firm teaching style with patience and understanding.

"Without a question, he is one of the most capable staff non-commissioned officers I have worked with," said Angersbach.

Campbell is currently on his way home from a seven month deployment in which he successfully conducted counter-piracy operations, straits transit security and sustainment training afloat and ashore.

Ellie