PDA

View Full Version : Sharon: Fence will build friendship

Sgt Sostand
07-30-03, 10:12 AM
Israeli leader rejects Arafat’s claim that it’s a new ‘Berlin Wall’

WASHINGTON, July 29 — Despite growing objections from Palestinian officials, Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon defended the construction of a security fence that cuts into parts of the West Bank, telling NBC News that “a good fence will bring I believe good friendship.” Sharon’s interview, broadcast Wednesday, followed his meeting at the White House on Tuesday with President Bush.

HIS FRIENDSHIP remark led “Today” co-host Katie Couric to cite Robert Frost’s line that “good fences make good neighbors.”
“Yes, I quoted it ... when I met with the president,” Sharon responded with a chuckle. Last week, Bush hosted Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas and said the partially built barrier, which in some places cuts deeply into Palestinian territory and divides farms, was not helpful to peace efforts.
But Sharon, speaking to NBC and during a White House news conference Tuesday, gave no indication that the construction would be halted.
He also rejected Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat’s claim that the fence was creating a new “Berlin Wall.” Palestinians accuse Israel of using the fence to annex territory in the absence of a final peace agreement.
“The time has arrived that we don’t take seriously what Arafat is saying,” Sharon said, referring to the fact that Abbas is now leading peace talks.
Sharon remained in Washington on Wednesday for talks with Vice President Dick Cheney.