PDA

View Full Version : I need help

joshbenson21
07-31-09, 03:01 PM
So i just turned 17 and my mom said that she would sign the parent consent forms when i turn 17 but when i came down to it she didnt. And now she is all saying that she is gonna make me wait till im 18 to sign up and i dont want to wait that long. So my question is if any of you have any advice on what i could say to her to get her to sign the papers and the main reason why she doesnt want to sing them is because i want to go Infantry

Petz
07-31-09, 03:09 PM
tell her you won't go infantry... I can tell you that you can choose an MOS and have a decent chance of dropping it when you goto MCT if you tell them you want to be a grunt...

anyways... the infantry is so full of Marines right now, it'll be very hard for you to get a spot before you turn 18 anyways...

best to sign for another MOS and if an infantry MOS opens up then good... otherwise take the other job.

artillery is fun... and you're far away from the action (unless you're an OP/FO...)

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp160/irkillroy/2pso9yp-1.jpg

there are lots of fun jobs to have.

you can be in a tank, armored attack vehicle... you name it...

comm bubbas can be attached to a grunt unit and for all intents and purposes be a grunt (you need to be able to do what they do)... you just need to have a readio on your back! you also get to call in naval gun support! very cool stuff.

listen, the point is... if you can get your mother to sign the papers if you choose another MOS other than infantry then do it... you can always worry about changing it later on.

SGT7477
07-31-09, 05:19 PM
So i just turned 17 and my mom said that she would sign the parent consent forms when i turn 17 but when i came down to it she didnt. And now she is all saying that she is gonna make me wait till im 18 to sign up and i dont want to wait that long. So my question is if any of you have any advice on what i could say to her to get her to sign the papers and the main reason why she doesnt want to sing them is because i want to go Infantry
I would respect her decision, are you thinking of quitting school early if that is your thought don't do it, Good Luck.:iwo:

NoRemorse
07-31-09, 05:24 PM
Sit down as her son and speak with her, give her materials, have your recruiter speak with her. If not, don't carry a grudge or resentment; bide your time; wait till you're 18; improve yourself until then, and then make the decision to go off on your own.

GyC
07-31-09, 08:52 PM

Have you, Mom, and Recruiter man sat down together yet? Many times, you have a harder time explaining what you want to do, and why you want to do it, in the Marine Corps... Also, many times your Mom has very simple concerns, such as job placement, as SSgt Petzold said, or the possibility of you being in harm's way, that you haven't been able to handle on your own. Lastly, your Mom signing parental consent does not obligate you to join the Marine Corps, as she may believe, but gives the MEPS and the Marine Corps permission to carry out the necessary screening in order to facilitate your enlistment. Ultimately, you are the only one that can sign on the dotted line. Have you argued about it, or talked rationally?... S/F

KevinR90
08-02-09, 02:04 PM
Have you tried..... I love you mom?

Then followed by a hug and a hearty: "This is what I want to do with my life." speech. It might work....

marine95
08-02-09, 11:38 PM
Have you, Mom, and Recruiter man sat down together yet? Many times, you have a harder time explaining what you want to do, and why you want to do it, in the Marine Corps... Also, many times your Mom has very simple concerns, such as job placement, as SSgt Petzold said, or the possibility of you being in harm's way, that you haven't been able to handle on your own. Lastly, your Mom signing parental consent does not obligate you to join the Marine Corps, as she may believe, but gives the MEPS and the Marine Corps permission to carry out the necessary screening in order to facilitate your enlistment. Ultimately, you are the only one that can sign on the dotted line. Have you argued about it, or talked rationally?... S/F

GyC,
As a former recruiter, you are right on the money. Parents are so misinformed on what the forms are that have to be signed. And of course no parent wants their child in harms way. Not to mention he is still in high school. I bet no one told her that with out his HS diploma, the Marine Corps won't take him. I guess recruiter man never saw mom or was just a rookie. One only knows.

0331 2 0369
08-03-09, 08:27 AM
There has been some good post on this topic. Just to echo a couple, If the recruiter, mom and you haven't sat down together...... do it. It is going to ease her mind a little. She may not change her mind on that visit alone but it will give her more insight into the Marine Corps. Also have that heart to heart talk with your mom. Tell her how you really fell about wanting to be a grunt. And with talking to your mom..... always use tact and a great deal of respect. Regardless of what her final outcome is, never raise your voice or get into a p!ssing contest. She is your mom and always will be. Keep a good relationship with her now and she will always be there for you later.

Rocky C
08-03-09, 03:38 PM
There has been some good post on this topic. Just to echo a couple, If the recruiter, mom and you haven't sat down together...... do it. It is going to ease her mind a little. She may not change her mind on that visit alone but it will give her more insight into the Marine Corps. Also have that heart to heart talk with your mom. Tell her how you really fell about wanting to be a grunt. And with talking to your mom..... always use tact and a great deal of respect. Regardless of what her final outcome is, never raise your voice or get into a p!ssing contest. She is your mom and always will be. Keep a good relationship with her now and she will always be there for you later.

Well Said!!! :thumbup: You only get one MOM. Put your arms around her and tell her that you Love her regardless of the outcome.

Good Luck.
Semper Fi,
Rocky

Sgt Leprechaun
08-04-09, 01:39 AM
There you go.

And, speaking as someone who went through this very thing many eons ago, it's natural for parents to worry about things like this.

BUT, don't get all worked up about it. If she doesn't sign, she doesn't sign. You just have to wait until you are 18. It's not the end of the world, believe me.

You'll have Mom long after the Corps is gone, be it a four or twenty year enlistment. Don't forget that for a minute.