PDA

View Full Version : Blood Pressure

rg2o3
07-31-09, 02:35 PM
I know there was a topic on this before but it did not quite answer my question. So here is a little background. When I go to my normal doctor, my blood pressure is very healthy. Normal as can be. I then went to MEPS back when I first enlisted, when it came to the blood pressure part, it was very high because I was so nervous. The doctor then did it on his own, not using the machine and it was still high but his calculations came out that I was good to go. I know in 9 days when I go back to MEPS to ship I will be even more nervous. So my question is does anyone have any tips on how to overcome this? Thank you.

Supersquishy
07-31-09, 02:45 PM
eat foods high in potassium if you have high blood pressure, don't drink coffee or soda or anything with caffiene before your blood pressure check. get a good nights rest and don't stress over it.

rg2o3
07-31-09, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the advice, I have recently cut out all caffeinated drinks and only drink water. And I will eat a few bananas the night before I ship off.

Petz
07-31-09, 03:37 PM
take 5 deep breaths just before you have your BP checked.. this should slow your heart rate down to normal... at least for the short time that it takes it.

they deal with nervous kids/people all the time, you'll be fine.

if it's too high they might set you aside for a bit and do it again later.... no worries, unless you have something to hide.

rg2o3
07-31-09, 03:41 PM
Nothing at all to hide Staff Sergeant. Thank you for the tip. I just get nervous very easily.

Petz
07-31-09, 03:45 PM
well... what do you have to fear? nervousness is psychological... are you afraid of not being able to join? what is it you are nervous about?

and yes, I get what you mean by "easily"... but I think you have some mental issue developed from your parents/parent.

no child happens to magically get nervous easily... it's a trait learned from the people who raised you.

hopefully it goes away in boot camp.

rg2o3
07-31-09, 04:20 PM
Its nervousness of not making it through boot camp, fear I guess is a better word for it.

rg2o3
07-31-09, 04:25 PM
And I see what you mean. It may have rubbed off from my mother who worry's about the smallest things.

SGT7477
07-31-09, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the advice, I have recently cut out all caffeinated drinks and only drink water. And I will eat a few bananas the night before I ship off.
That could help you, Good Luck.:flag:

Petz
07-31-09, 05:18 PM
And I see what you mean. It may have rubbed off from my mother who worry's about the smallest things.

life will happen... it's up to you to deal with what it throws at you.

unless you are in the 1% of recruits who don't graduate each year then you will make it.

if you are worrying about a 1% probability of failure then you have some serious issues.

you will graduate, you will not fail... your DIs won't let you.

Phantom Blooper
07-31-09, 06:54 PM
What is white coat syndrome?

White coat syndrome is a situation where patients have high blood pressure in the doctor's office but nowhere else. The situation is generally not this clear-cut, however, and often the patient has occasional episodes where the blood pressure is high when taken at home, but it is reliably high when taken in the physician's office. Some patients with sustained high blood pressure will have higher readings in the doctor's office than at home. It is really not very uncommon. Full story.......

http://mens-health.health-cares.net/white-coat-syndrome.php

:evilgrin:

SGT7477
07-31-09, 08:27 PM
What is white coat syndrome?

White coat syndrome is a situation where patients have high blood pressure in the doctor's office but nowhere else. The situation is generally not this clear-cut, however, and often the patient has occasional episodes where the blood pressure is high when taken at home, but it is reliably high when taken in the physician's office. Some patients with sustained high blood pressure will have higher readings in the doctor's office than at home. It is really not very uncommon. Full story.......

http://mens-health.health-cares.net/white-coat-syndrome.php
:evilgrin: I have the same problem myself.:D

GyC
07-31-09, 08:43 PM
I know there was a topic on this before but it did not quite answer my question. So here is a little background. When I go to my normal doctor, my blood pressure is very healthy. Normal as can be. I then went to MEPS back when I first enlisted, when it came to the blood pressure part, it was very high because I was so nervous. The doctor then did it on his own, not using the machine and it was still high but his calculations came out that I was good to go. I know in 9 days when I go back to MEPS to ship I will be even more nervous. So my question is does anyone have any tips on how to overcome this? Thank you.

If you're in Buffalo, then you probably did your blood pressure after sitting in a waiting room, cold, for awhile... This used to be a common problem in MEPS Niagara Falls, however, the Doc should do 3 serials before he even thinks of DQing you... I'm no doctor, but I wouldn't worry about it if you're normal every other time then you're slighty high at MEPS... Good luck at Recruit Training, and make sure you get plenty of Mighty T before you jet! S/F