PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Optic?

fox223
07-31-09, 08:17 AM
Good Morning Marines,

I recently purchased a new rifle - DPMS LR308 AP4. It's essentially a semi-auto M4 carbine in .308! :) I want to put optics on it but am having trouble deciding exactly what would be best. I know this forum is primarily for asking questions regarding Boot Camp and everyday Marine Corps stuff, but I figured who better to ask a question about a rifle than the greatest rifleman in the world!

I do a little bit of rabbit hunting (not with the .308 of course) but primarily target shoot. I would like to have the capability for long distance shooting, but not be limited to it. I am trying to decide between a Trijicon ACOG style optic or more of a red dot cowitness setup with an Aimpoint or EOTech sight.

Suggestions? What have you Marines used, and do you have a personal preference when it comes to the setup of your rifle? I know it's not exactly comparing apples to apples (5.56/7.62) but I would still appreciate your opinions.

Thanks for the help, and I apologize ahead of time if I may have stepped out of line with this one.

thewookie
07-31-09, 08:43 AM
The only glass I use and recommend is made by Leupold. I've tried many scopes, and besides choosing an Unertl, I would take a Leupold any day of the week, and twice on Tuesdays. They are time tested and have proven to stand up and deliver in the harshest environments. I think scope manufacture decisions really should depend on what you're going to be shooting the most, distance or close up. Will most shots be taken from 300 yards or closer, or are you planning on going out to 500-700 yards or greater? If you want a scope for all possible solutions a Leupold will be your best bet, IMHO.

Other then Leupolds, Trijicon ACOG style optics work very good but only for for close in shots, but I'm not as impressed with them when you have to reach out and touch somebody, or something.

This is the glass I have on my 700pss, just to give you an idea of what I am talking about, not cheap, but when everything counts money shouldn't be an issue.:)

http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=LU&category=0&prodID=LU60030&CFID=3199139&CFTOKEN=

Another good site http://www.leupold.com/tactical/

Good Morning Marines,

I recently purchased a new rifle - DPMS LR308 AP4. It's essentially a semi-auto M4 carbine in .308! :) I want to put optics on it but am having trouble deciding exactly what would be best. I know this forum is primarily for asking questions regarding Boot Camp and everyday Marine Corps stuff, but I figured who better to ask a question about a rifle than the greatest rifleman in the world!

I do a little bit of rabbit hunting (not with the .308 of course) but primarily target shoot. I would like to have the capability for long distance shooting, but not be limited to it. I am trying to decide between a Trijicon ACOG style optic or more of a red dot cowitness setup with an Aimpoint or EOTech sight.

Suggestions? What have you Marines used, and do you have a personal preference when it comes to the setup of your rifle? I know it's not exactly comparing apples to apples (5.56/7.62) but I would still appreciate your opinions.

Thanks for the help, and I apologize ahead of time if I may have stepped out of line with this one.

Pete0331
07-31-09, 08:44 AM
Good Morning Marines,

To settle some rumors: most Marines, even the infantry type, don't know as much as they should about small arms.
Most Marines wouldn't know what you meant by a cowitness setup.

It depends on what ranges you will shooting at.
If you are going to want a flexible optic setup, go with a RDS with 3x magnifier on a swing mount.
0-200 yard shoot with the strait RDS, 200+ range drop the magnifier.

Eotechs and Aimpoints both have their pro's and con's.
Aimpoints are 4 MOA, when Eotechs can be had with 2 MOA.
It depends on what you want.

ACOG's/RCO's are fixed 4x.
Not what you want if you are shooting close, but good for 200+ yard range.
Even with an RDS/Iron sight mounted on top of the optic your height to bore will be so large that it will take a long time getting used to at close ranges.
IIRC it can be as much as 2 inches.

A 0x to 4x variable power scope would be best for you application in my opinion.

FistFu68
07-31-09, 08:54 AM
:evilgrin: Does it have a Picatinny rail mount Base,or does the Rifle have a carry handle :confused: :iwo: