PDA

View Full Version : Lemoore man wounded in Afghanistan

thedrifter
07-31-09, 08:14 AM
Lemoore man wounded in Afghanistan

By Judy Finney
Advance Reporter

Marine Lance Cpl. Garrett Shannon spent his 20th birthday in the National Naval Medical Center in Bethseda, Md. Monday. He is recuperating from wounds received while on duty with the Marines in Afghanistan.

According to his mother, Tammy Shannon of Lemoore, Garrett Shannon was in a tank that ran over an improvised explosive devise (IED) on July 1. He received a concussion and injuries to his hand and wrist. Tammy Shannon said all the soldiers in the tank are expected to recover from their injuries. She said the other Marines' injuries were limited to concussions.

The family is still waiting to find out if Garrett Shannon will have to have an operation performed on his wrist and hands.

"I'm going back to see him as soon as possible," Tammy Shannon said. "I need to see and touch him."

Garrett Shannon joined the Marines in January 2008 and had been stationed in Afghanistan since early May.
"I am so proud of him," Tammy Shannon said. "He did something responsible and very good with his life."

She said the military had not released where in Afghanistan her son was when wounded but that he can't wait to be able to get back to his job serving his country.

Garrett Shannon is a 2007 graduate of Lemoore High School. He is the son of Ban and Tammy Shannon of Lemoore.

Ellie