PDA

View Full Version : L.i.n.k.s.

thedrifter
07-31-09, 07:27 AM
L.I.N.K.S.

7/31/2009 By Sgt. Robert Durham , Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION IWAKUNI, Japan —L.I.N.K.S. — It stands for lifestyle, insights, networking, knowledge and skills. If you are a spouse, you might want to add this to your ever increasing database of acronyms.

L.I.N.K.S. is a volunteer, teammentoring program for and by Marine spouses, with the catchphrase “bloom where you’re planted.” The class used to be for spouses only, but now anyone new to the Marine Corps community can benefit from it.

The course is designed to explain things such as Marine Corps history and terminology, benefits and services, education and several other topics in an easy to absorb way.

The discussion group leaders of this class are all experienced Marine spouses, including a few wives who are Marines themselves. They know a thing or two about life in the Corps.

Tina Pham, L.I.N.K.S. trainer, says being married to a Marine presents a unique set of challenges that may be unfamiliar to non-military families.

A lot of people get here and are miserable because they don’t know what’s available to them. This class provides insight about things like what’s available to them when they get off base, said Pham.

Participants in the class receive real life tips and resources enabling them to help themselves. Cpl. Clint Wright, a Marine Wing Support Squadron 171 motor transportation operator, and his wife Bethany attended the two-day course together.

“The biggest thing I’ve learned is how easy it seems to obtain a degree in the Marine Corps. I know many Marines think it’s hard, but that’s not how I look at it. I mean, they make it sound so easy,” said Cpl. Wright. “Here they let you know they’ll work with you. It’s hard in a way because it’s the Marine Corps, but after the class they make you want to get an education,” said Bethany.

Near the conclusion of the class Col. Michael A. O’Halloran, Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni commanding officer, and his wife Candice spoke to the class before Col. O’Halloran gave out graduation certificates. “I agree with bloom where you’re planted. You talked about it here in the context of family readiness. I’m here to tell you it works in your Marine Corps career. Just go where the Marine Corps tells you, make a difference and the rest will take care of itself,” said Col. O’Halloran.

“Make the most of it here because it is what you make of it. It’s two years of your whole life,” said Candice O’Halloran.

Anyone interested in attending a L.I.N.K.S. class should call Marine Corps Family Team Building at 253-3754.

Ellie