PDA

View Full Version : Can you go on accutane while active?

dpd951
07-30-09, 09:34 PM
Random question that I was thinking about. Accutane is used for the treatment of acne if you didnt know and a side effect is supposed to be depression... That being said, I went on it for 5-6 months then entered the DEP after waiting 2 months after my last dose. While on it, my acne dissapeared and I was fine (not depressed or anything). I was thinking about seeing a dermatologist in the future again cause not all of it is gone. I was wondering if tricare would cover accutane or any other acne medication. I have doubts about accutane cause it is supposed to cause depression (again I had no problem). Just a random question that I was thinking about. Wasn't sure if this was the right place to post this question, sorry in advance if this is the wrong place.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-30-09, 10:01 PM
That would be totally up to BuMed and the Navy docs.

Petz
07-31-09, 01:39 AM
accutane causes depression in those susceptible to being depressed... if you were not then chances are you'll be fine again... the reason this happens is the change in brain chemestry.

as for tri-care... who really knows what they approve?! unless one of the other Marines has personal experience I'd say you'll have to wait to find out... sorry.

they just now authorized visits to the chiropractor...

GyC
07-31-09, 09:16 PM
Random question that I was thinking about. Accutane is used for the treatment of acne if you didnt know and a side effect is supposed to be depression... That being said, I went on it for 5-6 months then entered the DEP after waiting 2 months after my last dose. While on it, my acne dissapeared and I was fine (not depressed or anything). I was thinking about seeing a dermatologist in the future again cause not all of it is gone. I was wondering if tricare would cover accutane or any other acne medication. I have doubts about accutane cause it is supposed to cause depression (again I had no problem). Just a random question that I was thinking about. Wasn't sure if this was the right place to post this question, sorry in advance if this is the wrong place.

Accutane has other medical side effects, besides depression, which makes it a disqualifying factor when enlisting. I believe the Marine Corps/Navy Docs would prescribe you minocycline?? Not sure of the spelling, but the same medication as accutane, w/o the side effects... Good luck! S/F

Petz
07-31-09, 09:20 PM
good info to have gunny, thanks for the gouge.

dpd951
08-01-09, 10:37 PM
Thank you for your replies, but I have been on Minocycline though and Doxycycline (same class of medication) prior to Accutane. They didn't work. Those are antibiotics. Accutane isn't an antibiotic, instead it works by decreasing the amount of oil that your skin produces. But it does have a bunch of side effects like dryness (lips and nose bleed if you smile or make facial movements). I wasn't even thinking about that, good point. No big deal though. I lived before it, I can live without it. Was just curious. Thanks again for all your advice.