PDA

View Full Version : One more question pertaining to the officer program.

fieldsjoe89
07-30-09, 09:32 PM
Among the many questions I have asked lately, I have one more question I have been unsure about.
When becoming an officer do you serve a certain amount of time as you do when enlisted on a contract or can you resign when you choose?
I thought I had seen in another post that an individual could but I haven't found it since and was wondering

rufio14
07-30-09, 09:48 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong Marines, but I believe that you serve out an initial obligated time period and then after that you can kinda choose to resign when you choose.

Petz
07-31-09, 01:44 AM
as I know it... and it can be different for some or I'm all out wrong... is that you, as a officer candidate, sign a reserve contract. this is so you have an EAS and what not...

so you get a 4 year activated reserve contract... you compete for boat spaces to be accepted as an active duty officer...

this works so that they can get rid of un wanted junior officers without forcing them to retire.... once that's done you have no EAS... you are an officer until you retire.

this is why you see officers as captains (Ret.) under their names... because the resigned their commissions.

this is also done so the Corps gets their money's worth out of them.... then they have another 4 years of obligated service if they choose to get out...

by the way, an officers resignation can be denied...