PDA

View Full Version : "Gunny"...appropriate for recruiter?

Matt Brzycki
07-30-09, 12:06 PM
This was actually a thread in Pool(ee) Hall where I tried to make a reply but wasn't allowed. At any rate, here's my take on the use of the term "gunny":

In 1976 when I was stationed at 29 Palms, I had the good fortune to serve with perhaps the most squared-away Marine that I ever met, Gunnery Sergeant Watson. An outstanding role model, he had been on the drill field and picked up E-7 in 8 years. One time, I overheard a conversation between he and a second lieutenant. At one point, the young officer referred to GySgt Watson as "Gunny." GySgt Watson looked the lieutenant right in the eyes and told him in no uncertain terms, "I'm a gunnery sergeant, not a gunny. I don't go around callin you "louie.'"

My immediate "lesson learned" was that gunnery sergeants are not to be called "gunny." And that stuck with me: Throughout my four-year enlistment, I never addressed a gunnery sergeant in that manner. During informal discussions with other Marines, I might say "Gunny So-and-So" or "the Series Gunny" (sometimes "the Series Guns") but, again, I never addressed a gunnery sergeant as anything but gunnery sergeant.

My two cents. And I want a receipt.

Matt Brzycki
Sergeant (1975-79)

Pete0331
07-30-09, 12:39 PM
It depends.
Recuiters are usually trying to build a relationship with perspective poolees, so they are willing to do what it takes, including being called "Gunny."

If they refer to themselves as Gunny I will call them Gunny.
I usually ask anyway just to make sure.

I've been told in the past: "Gunny rhymes with bunny and thats not funny."

yanacek
07-30-09, 12:59 PM
I never heard any Gunnery Sergeant object to being called "Gunny."

Meserole08orah
07-30-09, 01:15 PM
It does look good on Marine to call them by their propper rank. a retired MSgt had told me she knew I was new to the fleet because i still said Gunnery Sgt. And she appreciated it a lot. But I learned my lesson cuz at boot camp when we were doin paper work this 1sgt asked me what my Recruiters name and rank was I was all proud sayin Gunny H**tt. lol and got blasted. And then talking to a Gunnery Sgt at MOS school he said he doesnt think a student status has earned the right to say gunny. So its just stuck to me. Plus I also think if a Gunnery Sgt says you can call him Gunny go for it a guess but dont assume they like it.

Bob Ash
07-30-09, 01:27 PM
All the "Gunnys" and "Tops" I've ever met were proud to be referred to as such, but I certainly would respect any NCO's request to be called by his proper rank.

DeanUSMC
07-30-09, 07:19 PM
With my experiences you don't "rate" the term "gunny" until your in the fleet. Other than that every Gunnery sergeant in the infantry that I have met goes by Gunny. Sometimes just "Gun" to the staff NCO's. Our Master Gunnery Sergeant goes by "Master Gunz" whether your a private or a first sergeant.

Lupo22
07-30-09, 09:10 PM
My Gunnery Sergeant doesn't mind being called Gunny but he's also a pretty cool dude. Everyone calls him Gunny. But I would never call another Gunnery Sergeant Gunny unless he told me to do so, especially being a PFC!!

Achped
07-31-09, 01:22 PM
I just call them Gunny. What's the worse that could happen? They say "I am a God @#$% Gunnery Sergeant"

Then you say check, and mark it off in your book that he's a dick.

erased
07-31-09, 01:46 PM
I just call them Gunny. What's the worse that could happen? They say "I am a God @#$% Gunnery Sergeant"

Then you say check, and mark it off in your book that he's a dick.

:D

It depends on the tone for me. If I'm getting my ass chewed, it's "Gunnery Sergeant". Familiarity comes into play as well -- I'm much more likely to call someone I know "Gunny" than someone I don't.

0331 2 0369
07-31-09, 01:50 PM
:D

It depends on the tone for me. If I'm getting my ass chewed, it's "Gunnery Sergeant". Familiarity comes into play as well -- I'm much more likely to call someone I know "Gunny" than someone I don't.

Words of a wise Marine. :beer:

I used to always tell my Marines to call me Gunny even if I am in the middle of ripping them a new one. I would tell them it's nothing personal and I would let it go after I got done. No grudges held here.

Petz
07-31-09, 02:53 PM
when I meet a Marine for the first time and the few subsequent times afterwards it's Gunnery Sergeant so-an-so... when we are in a closer working environment I would call them gunny or guns... but only to stream-line the conversation for work purposes.

I'm not called Staffy Petzold so why chop up a Gunnery Sgt?

as for a the original post... I think a poolee should be learning the proper rank structure for boot camp, and as far as professionalism goes... it doesn't hurt to have the other recruiters use it in front of them either.

the lax environment on the duty sets the tempo for poolees.

Pete0331
07-31-09, 02:58 PM
I'm not called Staffy Petzold so why chop up a Gunnery Sgt?

Are we not supposed to call you that Staffy?

Staffy XXXXXXX and Sargey XXXXXXX said it was ok.

Sincerely,
Corpey Pete.
:marine:

Petz
07-31-09, 03:03 PM
Gunnery Sergeant is to Staff Sergeant as Gunny is to Staffy.

Sarge is to Sergeant as Gay men are in the Army.... Everywhere.

SGT7477
07-31-09, 05:13 PM
We always said Gunny and the brass used it also but don't call a SSGT staff.

Lupo22
07-31-09, 06:32 PM
I just came back from an IST for the poolee's at my old RS and lemme tell you: they don't call any of the Marines by their rank, just their last name. I wanted to start blasting them for it! Even when I was there, I called them Sir and Ma'am. Pretty disgusting but I guess thats part of the "we're your buddies" image the recruiters portray.

dizark
07-31-09, 06:39 PM
I never once called my SNCOIC a Gunny. Although today I was talking to 2 sgts and a GySgt and one goes "gunny's talking to u" so I was like "yes gunny" but immediately realized what I said and corrected myself. Anyways they didn't take it in the wrong way nor did they say anything to me.

Petz
07-31-09, 07:47 PM
it's not a big deal... you're in the fleet.

the point is, should poolees be allowed to call their recruiters gunny... I vote no... on the subject, let's see about a poll.

Zulu 36
07-31-09, 08:19 PM
I found it to be an uneven thing in the Fleet. Some Gunny's didn't mind, others did (until you had some time in). I never had a problem of any sort after I made corporal. Same thing with calling Master Sergeants or Master Gunnery Sergeants "Top" or "Master Guns."

Petz
07-31-09, 09:25 PM
yeah, I'd never walk up to a GySgt or MSgt or MGySgt and call them gunny, top, or master guns if i rarely see them or are meeting them for the first time... now that I'm a SSgt, I might use gunny and top... but I'm still scared of MGySgts... I don't know why really... sometimes you think they don't even exist until the pop out of the wood work and you have to ask where they appeared from! haha..

SGT7477
08-01-09, 11:34 AM

the point is, should poolees be allowed to call their recruiters gunny... I vote no... on the subject, let's see about a poll.
I say NO.:flag:

mjhpgh
08-01-09, 04:39 PM
It does not matter how we feel about it .Requiters are doing a job that requires them to deal with potential enlistees and poolees .If when they walked in the door GySgts treated them like PFCs in the fleet they would loose some maybe many.Some that they would loose would have learned respect and discipline and been good Marines .A GySgt being "nice" and "lax" in that way is a tool.imho

Kegler300
08-01-09, 04:44 PM
"Gunny" is a term of endearment. You should be a "gunny" or senior to use that term IMHO.

GyC
08-01-09, 04:57 PM
If you read the thread in the Poolee Hall, I would say we Gunnery Sergeants confuse the sh^t out of Poolees, as well as fellow Marines... LOL

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87197

Kegler300
08-01-09, 05:06 PM
If you read the thread in the Poolee Hall, I would say we Gunnery Sergeants confuse the sh^t out of Poolees, as well as fellow Marines... LOL

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87197

I wonder what '"Master" Gunnery Sergeant does to them...

kentmitchell
08-01-09, 06:11 PM
Crotch sure has changed since I was in. It was Gunny and Top to us.
Of course, that was in the FMF, in my case the 9th and 1st Marines.
And, of course, all these MGYSGTS and GYSGTS probably were ****ting yellow when I was a corporal, so I have to consider that.
Remember, though, that the traditions I carried on were passed down to me by WWII & Korean War vets. I'm still in awe of them to this day.
So, just excuse the old guy with the gray hair if he calls you Gunny and Top.
Semper Fi

Rocky C
08-01-09, 06:19 PM

No!!!

Lupo22
08-01-09, 07:47 PM
NO!!! And it was even worse they weren't even calling them by their RANK!!! Just their LAST NAME and ONLY their last name!!!

ssgtblue
08-09-09, 01:30 PM
Oh you all will love this one! So it was 2003 and we are in the middle of the Push to Bagdaddy. I was with RCT1. I think we were just outside of Al Nazaria if I remember right. We all know how that Fing place was. Anyhow we get word that when we make the next stop we will be linking up with the new Co Gunny. Everyone was like who cares at this point. We were pretty smoked and tired. SO we pick up the new Gunny Sergeant. And I **** you not one bit. The first time someone Said to him Welcome Gunny to ¼ Alpha Co. he said “ It is Gunnery Sergeant, Gunny Rimes with bunny and that’s not funny” Now note this is the Drill Fields Super Star that has just got back to the fleet….It is just funny.Needless to say the good old Gunny was pulled aside by the Staff NCO’s and NCO’s and set strait very quickly.

Petz
08-09-09, 02:34 PM
If I wanted to be called gunnery sergeant and I was told no... I'd tell them to kiss my ass unless they are of higher rank than me.

though I wouldn't use that stupid saying to get my point across.

Achped
08-09-09, 04:19 PM
yeah, I'd never walk up to a GySgt or MSgt or MGySgt and call them gunny, top, or master guns if i rarely see them or are meeting them for the first time... now that I'm a SSgt, I might use gunny and top... but I'm still scared of MGySgts... I don't know why really... sometimes you think they don't even exist until the pop out of the wood work and you have to ask where they appeared from! haha..

"Gunny" is a term of endearment. You should be a "gunny" or senior to use that term IMHO.

See?!?! Master Guns came outta nowhere!

Petz
08-09-09, 04:30 PM
haha... they are taught how to be ninjas in their MGySgt school....

Drafter
08-09-09, 06:09 PM
In the Fleet we never called a Gunnery Sergeant "Gunny" unless we had worked with him and he knew us, in other words, your earned the right from each and every one. Some never let you, some it came easy, it was on a case by case basis.

I imagine recruiters would be the same way. Case by case basis.

I did see a Marine PFC call a 1st. Sergeant "Top" once, that was an ass chewing of the first order.