PDA

View Full Version : Pendleton L.I.N.K.S. families together

thedrifter
07-29-09, 07:28 PM
Pendleton L.I.N.K.S. families together

7/28/2009 By Sgt. Alvaro Aro , Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. — For many families in the Armed Forces, being introduced to the military lifestyle may seem like a journey to a foreign country.

From knowing how to find information to learning military jargon, a non-military member’s voyage in the Armed Forces can be stressful and confusing.

For this reason, in 1995, a group of Marine wives decided to meet in Leesburg, Va. to develop a spouses’ education program.

The objective was to provide Marine Corps families with the necessary tools to successfully meet the challenges that military life often presents. As a result, they created the Marine Corps Lifestyle Insights Networking Knowledge Skills program.

The program, also known as L.I.N.K.S., enhances the readiness of families by fostering their education and personal growth and uses a volunteer, team-mentoring concept.

“We offer an orientation to the military lifestyle which helps spouses, Marines, children and parents understand and adapt to the Marine Corps,” said Christina Actis, Camp Pendleton L.I.N.K.S. installation trainer.

While the program’s curriculum targets those who are new to the Marine Corps community, the information provided is very beneficial at all levels of experience.

The program includes a series of educational sessions that provide information on all aspects of being a military spouse. The classes are taught by experienced spouses who volunteer for the program.

Topics include an introduction to L.I.N.K.S., benefits and services, financial awareness, dealing with separation and deployments, tips on moving and effective family communication.

The program also provides and pays for on-site babysitting with no cost to participants.

“The team of volunteers aboard Camp Pendleton is very excited to offer the expanded LINKS programs,” said Actis. “If you have not attended in the past, please give us a call.”

For more information, contact the L.I.N.K.S. team at Camp Pendleton at (760) 725-2335.

Ellie