PDA

View Full Version : Inside the mind of a suicide bomber

thedrifter
07-29-09, 07:26 PM
Inside the mind of a suicide bomber

7/28/2009 By Pfc. Jahn R. Kuiper , Marine Corps Base Quantico

MARINE CORPS BASE QUANTICO, Va. —Rounds flew down range with acute accuracy as Marines learned how to initiate precision fire on suicide bombers at the Suicide Bombers Interdiction Course July 27 - 29 at Weapons Training Battalion.

"The number one killer in Iraq and Afghanistan is the Improvised Explosive Devise in which many are mounted on suicide bombers," said Sgt. Brendan P. Geraghty, a Combat Marksmanship Trainer at WTBN.

With such a large problem there must a comprehensive solution.

"There was no suicide bomber course in the Department of Defense," said Mathew Graham, owner of Graham Combat. "I heard about the need so I started the course in 2006. I try to build threat identification, threat response, marksmanship and combat mindset."

The courses of fire consist of shooting on the move, moving to a contact as if it were suicide bomber, shooting three dimensional targets and doing force on force practical application with simulation rounds.

Beyond learning how to aim between the eyes, students learn the mindset of a suicide bomber.

"We look into how a radical Jihadist thinks," said Graham.

"It opens your eyes to the way suicide bombers think and makes you look at a situation through their perspective," said Cpl. Justin D. Winecoff, a Special Reaction Team member at Security Battalion, and student. "A lot of Marines don’t get quality briefs on how Islamists think. This course opens your eyes to domestic and overseas Jihadism."

One thing Graham teaches is that terrorists are not selective.

"Anyone can attend this course within the military," said Graham. "We all deploy and suicide bombers are not discriminatory to who they blow up."

- Correspondent: jahn.kuiper@usmc.mil

Ellie