PDA

View Full Version : CrossFit

thewookie
07-29-09, 04:52 PM
I got hooked on it a few months ago and I'm wondering who here does CrossFit training -- I'd like to set this up to exchange workouts, times, and advice.

I'm looking for some news ways to get it done, so if you have any killer workouts - sound off.

I tried to kill myself today....:mad:

1/4 mile sprint - 84 seconds

In the pool:
250 meter freestroke
4 x 50 meter sprints

5 sets max pull-ups - 18, 17, 11, 8, 7 (ouch only 18 dead hangs)

3 minutes straight on the heavy bag x2

Took me 42 minutes to get it all done.

http://www.crossfit.com/

thewookie
07-31-09, 11:30 AM
This morning was fun.... :sick:

Farmers walk with 55lb dumbells for 1/4 mile.

150 total pushups, chest to the deck.

250 meter free stroke - after 50m I got out of the pool and did 25 flutter kicks poolside, got back in and did another 50m.

Light squats for reps - 150lbs 5x20

8 count bodybuilders - 5 sets of 20

Took me 50 minutes.

http://www.crossfit.com/ (http://www.crossfit.com/)

boomer56328
07-31-09, 12:02 PM
I just found the website. A friend told me about it and really likes it so I was thinking about starting it. They say it is a killer.

fjmas1976
07-31-09, 12:08 PM
The P90X workout series/regimen is the real deal too. I found it hard to follow because I work about 30 hours OT a week.....but if you have the time this will get it done:usmc:

HurricaneRJ
07-31-09, 12:52 PM
Apparently Crossfit is about to become mainstream in the Corps. With the west coast having a facility specific for the workouts.

I know there is a crossfit in New River I plan on hitting that up when I get back.

thewookie
07-31-09, 01:07 PM
Apparently Crossfit is about to become mainstream in the Corps. With the west coast having a facility specific for the workouts.

I'm not surprised to hear that. I think most Marines will enjoy the workouts that they have. It brings a lot of variety instead of the standard 3 mile run after the daily 7.

Alisium
07-31-09, 01:22 PM
I'm not surprised to hear that. I think most Marines will enjoy the workouts that they have. It brings a lot of variety instead of the standard 3 mile run after the daily 7.

"Another...C130 rolling down the strip...."

:sick:

Pete0331
07-31-09, 01:52 PM
I've tried Crossfit and P90X.
I found P90X to work better for me because I didn't need to go to a gym.
The host is a douchebag, but the workouts work.

NoRemorse
07-31-09, 02:25 PM
I've tried Crossfit and P90X.
I found P90X to work better for me because I didn't need to go to a gym.
The host is a douchebag, but the workouts work.

Same results for me; although Crossfit can have some more crossover when you start doing more groundwork.

The P90X host? Total douche.

Petz
07-31-09, 02:45 PM
I heard about two years ago a navy guy sued for being forced to do cross-fit and is not "dis-abled" because of it... I thought he was just a whiny baby... like the guy suing for hazing... get over it guy...

it's like crying that you had to graduate high school and had to either work for a living or goto college... yeah, that's a bad analogy...

Pete0331
07-31-09, 02:47 PM
Cross-fit is not for amateurs.
There is a high probably for injury.

Petz
07-31-09, 02:57 PM
I think that's why the MC hasn't made it mandatory like this seamans unit did...

I like the idea of doing other things other than running... MCMAP is a great way to get other types of exercise that is strenuous without not having a purpose...

sports really have no purpose other than to raise moral... I'd think it's cool to get your Plt into a sport on base... and excuse them from PT if they are on a team (during the season) to go "train"... you get some good camaraderie there...

Pete0331
07-31-09, 03:21 PM
I think that's why the MC hasn't made it mandatory like this seamans unit did...

I like the idea of doing other things other than running... MCMAP is a great way to get other types of exercise that is strenuous without not having a purpose...

Guys get tunnel vision with PT.
PT is not there for tradition, PT is there to challenge and to improve.

Petz
07-31-09, 03:27 PM
yeah... I hear ya.

I'd like to have a 3-5 mile run Mondays, skip Tuesday, MCMAP Wednesday, sport or plt/sqd PT Thursday and leave Fridays for the company or Bn... if nothing then bust out the wheel of PT to decide... include fun stuff as it should be for moral and such... but of course have your kill-everyone PT on there as well.... you always want to leave a bit of fear in them.

thewookie
07-31-09, 03:44 PM
The thing I've learned about CrossFit in my short time doing it is you don’t master one particular area -- you try to excel in everything. There’s nothing like it in the world, it’s a total niche workout. The whole extreme nature of the workouts is what I’m drawn to.

Petz
07-31-09, 03:47 PM
PT is never meant to be mastered... I just had this conversation with my 11 YO nephew... I told him he needs to constantly push himself to improve.

he's on his way, but he doesn't have the drive to do it...

Gunner 0313
07-31-09, 03:53 PM
:flag:I'm constantly changing my workouts. I've never heard of this CrossFit, I'll have to do some homework on it.

Anyone had any luck (meaning, did you notice improvement) using a weighted vest while working out "ie": running, pull-ups, running stairs, etc.
I'm thinking about buying one.

Petz
07-31-09, 03:57 PM
only if you use a little at a time... don't go an extra 40 lbs... an extra 5 lbs is ok... but it's best for pull-ups and other type of low impact exercises...

NoRemorse
07-31-09, 03:59 PM
:flag:I'm constantly changing my workouts. I've never heard of this CrossFit, I'll have to do some homework on it.

Anyone had any luck (meaning, did you notice improvement) using a weighted vest while working out "ie": running, pull-ups, running stairs, etc.
I'm thinking about buying one.

I used a weight vest while in the DEP. Helped my conditioning immensely. I used to actually wear it under my labcoat at work. It went up to 75 pounds and had an additional 25 pound attachment. I worked up slowly but didn't have much use for the entire 100 pounds.

If you can graduate the weight go for it. You can find more expensive versions that firefighters use for training... Or go el-cheapo and just wear burlap sacks full of sand.

Cheap and easy to change the amount of weight you're carrying. Weighted vests are killer on stairs and for pull-ups. Wouldn't recommend running... maybe a few sprints. Too much of an ass-kicker and too hard on the joints for prolonged use while running.

thewookie
07-31-09, 04:01 PM
PT is never meant to be mastered... I just had this conversation with my 11 YO nephew... I told him he needs to constantly push himself to improve.

he's on his way, but he doesn't have the drive to do it...

Just to elaborate on that point, when I say mastered -- I mean the guy who only runs and never lifts a weight, or the guy who only lifts weights but doesn't do any cardio. You HAVE to mix it up, whether it's a weightlifter/bodybuilder hitting a plateau or a long distance runner who can't improve on their run time.

With CrossFit the days of doing the same workout routine over and over again are,, over. It's much better to be versatile then it is to be a master at one particular thing. Speaking about physical fitness.

Gunner0313 -- I like the idea and have used a weighted vest. It's the same idea of doing weighted dips, it helps. I'm going to buy one sometime soon and start to use it on my runs. I'll let you know how it goes....

Gunner 0313
07-31-09, 04:11 PM
You can find more expensive versions that firefighters use for training...

:flag:Are the firefighter ones considered to be the best ?
My mentality of working out had to change because I hit plateaus that I could never seem to break. Once I changed up, the results were noticeable right off. One of the things that I really got into that mixed up my workouts was swimming. Swimming is an excellent form of exercise that I would recommend to anyone.

Great thread ! Always looking for new workout ideas.

NoRemorse
07-31-09, 04:23 PM
:flag:Are the firefighter ones considered to be the best ?
My mentality of working out had to change because I hit plateaus that I could never seem to break. Once I changed up, the results were noticeable right off. One of the things that I really got into that mixed up my workouts was swimming. Swimming is an excellent form of exercise that I would recommend to anyone.

Great thread ! Always looking for new workout ideas.

They just use high quality vests so I bought the one they rated very highly. Can't remember what it's called now.

Swimming is great; kills me like no other. Great for the lungs too.

Pete0331
07-31-09, 04:29 PM
yeah... I hear ya.

I'd like to have a 3-5 mile run Mondays, skip Tuesday, MCMAP Wednesday, sport or plt/sqd PT Thursday and leave Fridays for the company or Bn... if nothing then bust out the wheel of PT to decide... include fun stuff as it should be for moral and such... but of course have your kill-everyone PT on there as well.... you always want to leave a bit of fear in them.

PT is a mind game.
Standardized PT schedules are bad.
Leaders along with their subordinates get in a rut and it's hard to push them out of it.

PT is also all about building and overcoming challenges.
Too often I see units either present PT that is too easy or too difficult.
Too easy and guys aren't improving themselves.
Too difficult and you are destroying the morale of your guys.

The stress point needs to be hit by your guys every time you take them to PT.
This is where a variety of exercises are essential in everyday PT.
Some guys may hit that wall during long runs, some guys hit it on pullups.
They need to hit their stress point then improve on it to take it to the next level.

PT also needs to be based in reality.
If you're a Motor T guy that means relays with a tow bar, if you're Comm that means running up a hill to a position where you can get a good signal, if your a mechanic you can do a kim game mixed with a relay.

The best example is MCMAP.
It is practiced in boots and utes to often.
Boots and utes is the starting point for when you are hammering home the details of movement.
How many times have you had to subdue someone in combat but you have the opportunity to strip off all your combat gear and blouse?
You probably haven't.

Next time you grapple for PT/MCMAP do it in full kit.
That means SAPI's, helmet, and all your other combat gear (pre-combat inspections are essential so that no one cheats).

There are no fair fights in combat so don't allow them to happen in training.
Don't team your guys up based on if they are in a similar weight class.
That isn't based in reality.
This isn't MMA, this is tooth and nail, bash your head in while you sleep fighting.
You could do: one guy slick vs. one guy in kit.
two guys in kit vs. one guy slick.
Guys in gas masks.
One guy blind folded.
and so on.

There is so much out there that can be done, there is no reason why someone should just focus on one area.

Your average 3-miler and the daily ten is what needs to be seen as the morale building easy PT.
If it isn't, it means your Marines aren't to the physical standard they need to be.

My daily rant. :marine:

Petz
07-31-09, 05:01 PM
good info... filed away for my PT...

Pete0331
07-31-09, 07:23 PM
With regards to the CFT, the USMC has always had a CFT.

Only it was called the Obstacle Course then.

sparkie
07-31-09, 07:30 PM
I spend my days at construction sites, up and down friggin ladders, envy you guys, but I'm too tired.

boomer56328
08-01-09, 07:45 PM
I still bust out the old Alice pack every once and awile and do stadiums with a 60 lbs bag of Quickcrete. That sucks balls and is hard on the shoulders. I bet the weighted vest would probably be a better option.

Petz
08-01-09, 07:59 PM
it's like they say... what doesn't kill you.... only gives you arthritis.

thewookie
08-01-09, 08:10 PM
I still bust out the old Alice pack every once and awile and do stadiums with a 60 lbs bag of Quickcrete. That sucks balls and is hard on the shoulders. I bet the weighted vest would probably be a better option.

The weighted vest definitely redistributes the weight your carrying a little differently. I'm sure you have strong shoulders like most of us from humping rucks and gear over the years. The weighted vest will just ease the burden on your shoulders, and puts it more on your legs, the benefit is you get the added weight but it's not hanging off your shoulders so it makes for a "nicer" recovery.

BTW -- today I did the WOD (Work-out of the day) :

Back Squat 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 for reps

MAX rep squats w/o spotter
175x22
195x20
195x21
195x16
205x10
205x11
205x4
Total: 1375lbsx104 reps

total time 26 minutes

I just got up from my nap after that, I was a little gassed still from yesterday. Time to go out for a college graduation party,,,, might be an off day tomorrow, or just light swimming....:)

Pete0331
08-01-09, 08:12 PM

Awesome workout.
I personally keep the workout weight at 30lbs if I'm running.
It reduces the chances of knee blowouts and future back problems.
:marine:

NoRemorse
08-01-09, 09:24 PM
it's like they say... what doesn't kill you.... only gives you arthritis.

Slipped discs are fun too.

Petz
08-01-09, 11:19 PM
reread my saying....

jackson07
08-02-09, 12:08 AM
Just some random stuff. Every Marine base has a crossfit gym now. Or atleast a group of people who have found a gym on base with enough gear to do the WODs. Hell, they are doing it on the MEUs now while on float. It is becoming pretty wide spread. I have been doing it for about year. I even make my platoon do WODs twice a week. If you go on the crossfit forums there is a good list of bodyweight only workouts.

Petz
08-02-09, 09:38 PM
Marine Corps Times just did a cover about crossfit...

flyby
08-03-09, 12:38 AM
I just read that article on MC Times. I also viewed the pictures where some of the Marines were barefoot??? I never did CF but have seen other 'packaged programs' come along. My issue w/CF or any type of regular organized PT is that it doesn't really help those who are already in excellent shape who may have their own workout goals. If you are a serious body builder, generally organized PT is not the answer. Especially a HIT program like this. If I was required to do organized/structured PT sessions (I was Air Wing and PT was left up to you), I would have had to abandoned my program. You simply can not perform your own HIT program in conjunction w/a program like this. Furthermore, any HIT routine needs to be used w/caution for multiple reasons. After all, you only have so much limited recover-ability available.

boomer56328
08-03-09, 04:12 AM
The weighted vest definitely redistributes the weight your carrying a little differently. I'm sure you have strong shoulders like most of us from humping rucks and gear over the years. The weighted vest will just ease the burden on your shoulders, and puts it more on your legs, the benefit is you get the added weight but it's not hanging off your shoulders so it makes for a "nicer" recovery.

BTW -- today I did the WOD (Work-out of the day) :

Back Squat 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 for reps

MAX rep squats w/o spotter
175x22
195x20
195x21
195x16
205x10
205x11
205x4
Total: 1375lbsx104 reps

total time 26 minutes

I just got up from my nap after that, I was a little gassed still from yesterday. Time to go out for a college graduation party,,,, might be an off day tomorrow, or just light swimming....:)

One of us must have misunderstood the workout. I took it as a strength day and did 7 sets of one rep with heavy loads. I started at 375 lbs and finished with 440, adding a little weight each time. I'll have to go back and check it and see if I did it right.

thewookie
08-03-09, 05:23 AM
One of us must have misunderstood the workout. I took it as a strength day and did 7 sets of one rep with heavy loads. I started at 375 lbs and finished with 440, adding a little weight each time. I'll have to go back and check it and see if I did it right.

I didn't have a spot, and I'm not looking to work that kind of weight at this stage of my life. I follow their workouts to an extent, but not to a T.:) That kind of weight is way too much for me to do reps with.

NoRemorse
08-03-09, 05:33 AM
reread my saying....

I did... read into it too.

MD8724
08-03-09, 07:34 AM
My old SNCO was big into CrossFit. He didnt grasp the whole "change up the workout everyday" part of it though. We did the same crap, every day. CrossFit is alright I guess. Some of the stuff seems pretty dangerous though, and while I joined knowing I could get hurt, I didn't join to try and get hurt. Some of the **** they had us doing , the reward just wasn't worth the risk.

NoRemorse
08-03-09, 07:42 AM
I think everybody should google "Monkey Bar Gym" These guys are based in the Midwest and seem to have a lot of fun. I remember when the owner was mainly hawking stuff for Lifeline.

Needless to say, I bought a lot of those resistance bands and I use them a lot. Trained a lot of people with them. Those were back in the days when I was looking to fly out to St Paul and get my RKC. Bah, I let myself get nasty and this is what I get; memories of supposed greatness.

Anyways, Monkey Bar Gym always had fun stuff up. They gave me the idea to put on some gloves (rock climbers or even mechanic's gloves) and do more ground work. Running around on all fours is a great work out. Also a good way to work on the posture and be able to move around effectively.

Add a weighted vest or pack to that workout. Ever try crab walking while wearing 20 pounds?:devious:

thewookie
08-04-09, 11:51 AM
As many rounds as possible in 20 minutes:

15 squats
5 pullups
10 pushups

I only did 11 rounds.

I was at the local Rod and Gun club last night,, and it was a late night -- I was dragging my azz in the gym this morning. I should have just stayed in bed.:mad:

Gunner 0313
08-04-09, 01:49 PM
250 meter free stroke - after 50m I got out of the pool and did 25 flutter kicks poolside, got back in and did another 50m.

:flag:Thanks for the idea. I mixed my swim up the other night with sit-ups and push-ups every other lap. SF

NoRemorse
08-04-09, 02:13 PM
Lots of cool ideas in this thread.

here's one that I may have tossed out before;

Heavy duty nylon bag + small bags of sand from Home Depot =

A sandbag you can wear or hump. It moves a lot more than a weight vest and you'll have to work a lot harder against all that weight as it's flopping around on your back/chest/shoulders whatever.

Gunner 0313
08-04-09, 02:31 PM
:flag:A huge factor in all of this is nutrition. You can workout all you want but if you're not eating right, it's kind of pointless, IMO.

Supersquishy
08-04-09, 02:46 PM
This is my work out every morning before work. 100 crunches in 2 minutes, 17 pullups give or take 1 pullup, run as fast as I can for 2 miles, catch my breath, max set of pullups again, Bench press 5X5 program(every other day legs) then during lunch break, 60 pushups 2 min and then keep going to failure. I take sundays off and ride my bike 10 miles fast.

fs19
08-05-09, 12:41 AM
We did quite a bit of Crossfit in BRC. If you push yourself it is a great, relatively short workout.

thewookie
08-05-09, 06:02 AM
:flag:A huge factor in all of this is nutrition. You can workout all you want but if you're not eating right, it's kind of pointless, IMO.

Yeah, that's a good point, a very good point. Here is a link to one good article on eating healthy... http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/cfjissue21_May04.pdf

thewookie
08-05-09, 01:25 PM
Marine Corps Times just did a cover about crossfit...

Good article...http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2008/06/marine_crossfit_062208w/

CrossFit: The workout sweeping the fleet

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->QUANTICO, Va. — Special Warfare Operator 1st Class (SEAL) Andy Stumpf always needs to be in shape.

But before he took an AK47 round to the hip during a tour in Iraq, he thought his conventional regimen of weight training and running was the key to fitness.

The injury prompted the San Diego-based sailor to try a different kind of workout, one that was sweeping through the military community and would prove to be a blessing as he worked to rejoin his comrades.

Stumpf found CrossFit — and six months after he was shot, he was back on active duty.

Now, he’s the owner of CrossFit Coronado in San Diego, where he trains a handful of his fellow SEALs, as well civilians looking for a different style of workout.

“Before, I thought the key to really getting fit was to add more training volume,” Stumpf said. “Run, run, run, to get good at going long. But you layer that extra training volume on top and you’re breaking your body down.

“What CrossFit has taught me is that randomized, functional movement is how you get fit.”

The CrossFit concept
CrossFit boasts that its specialty is not specializing.

The fitness program attempts to be as inclusive as possible and gears its regimen to be open to participants ranging from elite athletes to homemakers. It’s especially popular with police training academies and special operations units. But the straightforward concept has drawn interest from many looking for a fresh approach to fitness.

It’s made up of several dozen individual exercises and movements that, when combined, form the CrossFit system. Some of these exercises will be familiar to many people with a few hours in the gym under their belts: clean, jerk, pull-up and squat.

However, other parts of the regimen stray from standard gym orthodoxy and have names to reflect as much: hollow rock, power snatch and the “hot chick muscle up,” basically a combination pull-up and dip, using a pair of Olympic-style rings.

CrossFit has become a global phenomenon, reflected by clubs springing up worldwide. But it has fairly humble beginnings, said founder Greg Glassman, who’s spent decades working as a personal trainer and now trains law enforcement personnel nationwide.

He said the program is about 20 years old and was slowly spreading through the California fitness community before a confluence of two events in 2003 launched CrossFit forward.

“When we launched the Web site and war broke out, people took fitness much more seriously, and the information was available all over the place,” he said.

CrossFit’s popularity is a mix of two major factors — variety and simplicity, Glassman said, adding, “We all come to the table with limited time, energy and capacity, and I want the most rate of return for that investment.”

He designed the CrossFit system from three exercise disciplines: gymnastics, traditional cardio workouts and Olympic-style weightlifting.

“The blended capacity in all three domains was a better fitness than being a master at any of the three,” he said. “The key is doing a multitude of different tasks. That’s the Holy Grail of fitness.”

He’s created an Internet-based “Workout of the Day,” which provides participants with an easy-to-follow model for CrossFit workouts, available free at http://www.crossfit.com (http://www.crossfit.com/). The “WOD” is often clear-cut and can be completed in 45 minutes or less, sometimes in 20 minutes.

But it’s the combination of movements, and an unforgiving intensity, that makes CrossFit work.

Getting CrossFit
On a recent afternoon in Northern Virginia, a mix of officers and enlisted Marines converge on a patch of concrete tucked between a basketball court and some utility trailers at Marine Corps Base Quantico and begin stretching under the midday sun, in preparation for a workout that will stress the mind as much as the muscles.

Today’s workout is the pistol squat — a one-legged body-weight squat that challenges leg strength and balance — preceded by stretching, a short run and a set of broad jumps.

CrossFit is all about varied routines and high-intensity functional movement. That translates to a disdain for monotony, a focus on speed and a constant eye toward exercises that incorporate everyday functions. For Marine 1st Lt. Geraldine Carey, it’s a welcome retreat from the boredom of the traditional workout.

“It’s not like going to the gym, where Monday’s workout is Monday’s workout and Tuesday’s workout is Tuesday’s workout, and you keep doing the same things week in and week out,” she said. “It’s different every day, so it’s hard to get bored.”

But most critical to the Marines on hand is the importance of camaraderie over competition.

No one pulls out a tape measure to gauge bicep growth. There’s no list of top performers etched on a dry-erase board to remind participants of their superiority — or inferiority.

“It’s all about community and being noncompetitive,” said Marine Capt. Jose Vengoechea, 31, one of three instructors on hand during the advanced session workout. “No one is competing against anybody but themselves.”

Leading by example
Forty minutes before the CrossFit Quantico crew is drenched in sweat, Marine Maj. Andrew Thompson is alone with only a medicine ball and a pull-up bar.

The 35-year-old former Naval Academy football player has substituted the traditional workout regimen of running and weight training — his mantra for years — with this new-age blend of three old-school disciplines.

Thompson typifies the CrossFit philosophy, making up for missing the previous day’s session with a basic but brutal workout: 15 pull-ups, 30 push-ups and 45 body-weight squats. Repeat as many times as possible in 20 minutes.

“I’m smoked. I mean, really smoked,” he said after completing the grueling session.

Thompson employed the CrossFit system while deployed in Kuwait and has endured weather of all types at Quantico to keep on track.

“We worked out of a trash pile and used whatever we could get our hands on,” Thompson said. “Cinder blocks, steel pipes, bricks.”

Not long after recovering from his own session, Thompson is pacing between the Marines, encouraging them with a mix of positive reinforcement and practical teaching. After that, he said, the participants take care of the rest.

“Marines like to be challenged. The sessions are very, very difficult. There’s no doubt about that,” he said. “Participating in a group setting also helps. Collective suffering has a tendency to bring people together.”

More than anything, the program is attractive in its ability to prepare Marines for the rigors of combat.

“In combat, second place doesn’t get to go home. If I’m not prepared enough to support the mission or my fellow Marine, that’s going to jeopardize that mission,” he said.

That’s where Thompson’s West Coast counterpart comes in.

Marine Lt. Col. Dan Wilson is the commanding officer of Infantry Training Battalion at School of Infantry-West, Camp Pendleton, Calif. At 47, Wilson has to work harder than the younger Marines to keep fit, and he contends that CrossFit has helped tremendously in that effort.

Wilson was introduced to the program by a fellow Marine and was rewarded with an eight-point improvement in his semiannual physical fitness exam after a nine-week introductory session last fall. Since then, he’s been preaching the CrossFit scripture to whoever will listen.

He’s also forged a strong friendship with Glassman, the CrossFit founder.

Their bond, and Glassman’s unabashed love of the Corps’ culture, resulted in Glassman donating the equipment from the original CrossFit gym in Santa Cruz, Calif., to the Marines at Pendleton.

“We did a final workout in the old gym, and then we loaded up the gear into a tractor-trailer and brought it down here to create the CrossFit warehouse at Camp Pendleton,” he said.

Wilson stressed that he has not made the CrossFit program mandatory for his Marines, but he added that four of his five company commanders are involved in the system and teaching it to their troops.

“The company commanders have embraced it as a substitute for PT,” he said.

Wilson hasn’t built CrossFit into the school’s curriculum, but he finds Marines gravitating toward the program.

“Say we are out at the range and we have some down time,” Wilson said. “Instead of just sitting on their hands, they’ll do sprints from one end to the other and develop an on-the-spot CrossFit program.”

Why CrossFit fits
Glassman said the Corps has been the quickest branch of the military to adopt CrossFit into its fitness program. There is a CrossFit gym on or near practically every Marine Corps base in the country, and even one serving troops based in Okinawa, Japan.

CrossFit has a dedicated following at a host of military installations, including Fort Bragg, N.C., home to the Army’s 82nd Airborne Division, and Fort Drum, N.Y., home to the Army’s 10th Mountain Division. The CrossFit Web site also lists clubs at Ramstein Air Base, Germany, as well as Stumpf’s Coronado facility.

“Just wanted to drop you a line from Afghanistan,” reads one testimonial posted to the CrossFit Web site, from an Army major. “I was introduced to CrossFit at Fort Bragg after Army Special Operations Command incorporated CrossFit into their [Headquarters and Headquarters Company] gym. I was immediately hooked. After arriving in Afghanistan, I heard that two of the generals here love the concept and the exercises and are working on building a ‘garage gym’ and filling it with CrossFit ‘tools.’”

beungood
08-11-09, 07:33 PM
They just use high quality vests so I bought the one they rated very highly. Can't remember what it's called now.

Swimming is great; kills me like no other. Great for the lungs too.

Perform better . com has all kinds of weighted vests and other unconventional fitness equpment. There are alot of Functional training aids. Also look up www.burnwithkearns.com (http://www.burnwithkearns.com) he is a fitness trainer with excercises that will push you ,make you stronger but with less of a chance of injury .

NoRemorse
08-11-09, 09:51 PM
I like performbetter but they charge too much for some of the trash they sell.

Gunner 0313
08-29-09, 11:46 AM
:flag:This past week I've been using a rowing machine. Excellent workout ! If I was close to a large body of water I really think I would consider buying a scull.

thewookie
08-29-09, 02:00 PM
Ya, I hear ya -- rowing is another exercise that's a good way to hit area's you don't normally hit. Great shoulder, lat, and upper quad work

Speaking of water - I've been doing a lot of swimming lately, weird routines, I love the pool.

I'm getting serious about doing a mini-triathlon, then I'll be hooked, and end up doing a regular one, and someday I could see myself doing Iron Man on the Big Island of Hawaii.

Crawl, walk, run....:usmc:

Gunner 0313
08-29-09, 02:36 PM
:flag:I've recently been hooked on swimming also. Sucks, this week the pool has been closed for cleaning. I definitely would like to get into the mini-triathlon too. I need to run the Marine Corps Marathon first.

Hey Wook you're a MA guy right ? What's your take on all of this crap for Kennedy ?

Supersquishy
08-29-09, 02:46 PM
:flag:I've recently been hooked on swimming also. Sucks, this week the pool has been closed for cleaning. I definitely would like to get into the mini-triathlon too. I need to run the Marine Corps Marathon first.

Hey Wook you're a MA guy right ? What's your take on all of this crap for Kennedy ?

Try a "Sprint" Triathlon, see how you do, I know I would be wobbling in the run.

thewookie
08-29-09, 11:42 PM

I'm ova it, I'm a republican, he can rot in hell for what he did to that girl is what I think....

Petz
08-30-09, 07:49 AM
oh, wait... the media forgot about that! damn... too late.

Gunner 0313
08-31-09, 04:23 PM
:flag:I'm done with running on a treadmill, it totally fvcks up my road running.

thewookie
08-31-09, 05:19 PM
:flag:I'm done with running on a treadmill, it totally fvcks up my road running.

I hear ya, treadmills for me are a LAST resort. I'd rather do and hour of flutter kicks and hello dollies then run on a treadmill.

BTW - did you hear what happened to Mike Tyson's daughter on treadmill, bad juju.;)

Gunner 0313
08-31-09, 05:27 PM
BTW - did you hear what happened to Mike Tyson's daughter on treadmill, bad juju.;)

:flag:Yea that was jacked up. I've seen people stumble on them before and it's pretty fvckin hilarious.

MD8724
08-31-09, 07:45 PM
Wookie,

I've actually been training for a Sprint Triathlon myself.

I can't remember how long the swim is at the moment, but it's 12 mile bike ride and the 3 mile run.

I'm pretty sure anyways.

Either way, like Squishy said, check that out.

thewookie
08-31-09, 07:52 PM
Wookie,

I've actually been training for a Sprint Triathlon myself.

I can't remember how long the swim is at the moment, but it's 12 mile bike ride and the 3 mile run.

I'm pretty sure anyways.

Either way, like Squishy said, check that out.

I didn't pick that up earlier, thanks, I'm going to look into it.:usmc: