PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a Pilot

fieldsjoe89
07-29-09, 11:51 AM
Can an individual fly a plain in the Marines if their eyes have been corrected to 20/20 by lasiks eye surgery?

Supersquishy
07-29-09, 11:58 AM
I believe they changed the rules a few years ago. Yes. I know a couple of Navy pilots that had their eyes fixed. But I believe you need to wait 6 months before you apply.

Lisa 23
07-29-09, 12:03 PM
fieldsjoe89, how about filling out your profile there so we know who we are talking to. :thumbup:

fieldsjoe89
07-29-09, 12:13 PM
Thank you Supersquishy for the information, I had done a little research but wasn't totally sure
and sorry about that LASWMarine I believe I have all fixed now

Lisa 23
07-29-09, 12:16 PM
I believe I have all fixed now
:thumbup:

Lupo22
07-29-09, 02:05 PM
Whats a plain?? You can fly a PLANE with lasik. But you also need a degree, an officers status and you'll need to be in the top 1/3 of your class in order to pick your MOS (from what I gathered from my Company Commander). Good luck Poolee!

fieldsjoe89
07-29-09, 11:02 PM
lol yeah I notice that now thanks for the info guys

Petz
07-29-09, 11:54 PM
you noticed that now.... like after you read his post?

and you're in lebanon... which state?

fieldsjoe89
07-30-09, 12:06 AM
yes , i would have to admit i wouldn't have if he hadn't posted that
lebanon, va

Petz
07-30-09, 12:08 AM
I think there's like 5 lebanons in the States... I swear I keep seeing them everywhere I drive....

fieldsjoe89
07-30-09, 12:12 AM
I wouldn't doubt if they were more, I know of a Lebanon, Tennessee as well

Sgt Leprechaun
07-30-09, 12:20 AM
To answer the original question, no. You will need multiple waivers to begin with. THEN you'll need to further pass a flight physical. Afterwards, with your 4 year degree, you'll need to attend OCS/TBS, and graduate in the top 10 percent (at minimum) of your class and hope there are pilot slots available when you graduate so you can pick one. THEN you'll need to attend pre-flight school, and then flight school.

At any and/or all of these points, the attrition rate is 50 percent OR BETTER. In some, it's higher.

Realistically, your chances of becoming a pilot are extremely slim. It's do-able, but it's something you needed to start while a freshman in high school. AND with crappy vision, it's pretty much a 'no-go' even with surgery.

Petz
07-30-09, 12:22 AM
don't forget that you can't pick fixed wing or rotatory... it's a coin toss.

fieldsjoe89
07-30-09, 12:24 AM
Thank you all for the information it is greatly appreciated.

Supersquishy
07-30-09, 05:33 AM
AND with crappy vision, it's pretty much a 'no-go' even with surgery.

Had a Harrier Pilot im my squardon wear glasses. I was told by my OIC that becoming a pilot in the Marines was not as hard as what its cracked up to be. One officer had a degree in Physical Education, while another was a graduate from the Naval Academy.

To the Poolee, don't rely on your high school counsler unless they are pro-military, mine talked down upon me and told me that I had to attend the Naval Academy or Coast guard academy and graduate top of the class to become a Pilot in the Military. And that I did not have the grades to apply. They totally discouraged me and filled me full of BS. I realized the BS after talking to Pilots in my squadron.

fieldsjoe89
07-30-09, 08:12 AM
The one thing I am worried about though, is I graduated in 08 so I already have a year of college under me, but from the way its described it sounds like i'm starting a little late since I never took a ROTC program during high school

Supersquishy
07-30-09, 08:16 AM
The one thing I am worried about though, is I graduated in 08 so I already have a year of college under me, but from the way its described it sounds like i'm starting a little late since I never took a ROTC program during high school
Doesnt matter if you took JROTC in high school athough it gives you brownie points. The point is is that you graduate an acredidted College with good grades. Do a Sport and join a couple of clubs in your College, volunteer in your community, stay out of trouble and you should be good to go for your application.....WORK OUT AND BETTER YOUR BODY too!!!

fieldsjoe89
07-30-09, 11:29 AM
Thank you for the information Supersquishy it really helps me out a lot.
I kinda had and idea but wasn't sure

Petz
07-30-09, 11:45 AM
oh, joining the college ROTC program... can you do that?

anyways... being active in all of that is great for the good ol' boy system that is the officer Corps...

it's not as bad as the political GOB system... but it's all in WHO you drink with... be a guy who can have something in common with everyone and you'll go far.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-30-09, 06:40 PM
Don't get the wrong idea, I didn't say what KIND of degree you had to have. In my F-4/F-18 squadron, we had a Harvard MBA and a guy with a degree in Agronomy.

I think the glasses deal (and I could be wrong) is only once you are in, accepted, and flying, THEN the glasses are ok.