PDA

View Full Version : Airborne School

Moto1989
07-28-09, 09:41 PM
I've heard from many and I wanted to ask this question Just out of curiosity if any knows, is it true A Marine can actually go to Army Airborne School to get Airborne wings for the heck of it.

Pete0331
07-28-09, 11:21 PM
I've heard from many and I wanted to ask this question Just out of curiosity if any knows, is it true A Marine can actually go to Army Airborne School to get Airborne wings for the heck of it.

Yes.
You can only go to Airborne school if your MOS requires it, or if it is part of a reenlistment package.

The just can't volunteer and get to go.
There aren't enough spots open at the school for that.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-28-09, 11:42 PM
Correct. Nowadays as Pete says (and it's been this way since I went in 1984) your MOS has to require it, OR it's as a reenlistment incentive, and I believe those are getting few and far between.

It CAN be done but it's not common.

Airborne!

Supersquishy
07-29-09, 06:09 AM
need to do a two mile run in 15 minutes and fifty full pushups in two minutes or they will drop you from the school FYI.

0231Marine
07-29-09, 07:55 AM
Most of the sports go to the Recon community or aviators/air crew since they're the ones in planes most. SERE is another good one if you get the chance to go.

Supersquishy
07-29-09, 08:07 AM
Most of the sports go to the Recon community or aviators/air crew since they're the ones in planes most. SERE is another good one if you get the chance to go.

Yup, Recon and Anglico are the two that rate the Jump billets.

thewookie
07-29-09, 02:40 PM
Back in the day, not sure if it still happens today, but you COULD go to Benning and wait on standby for a jump school seat. I think you had to have a need to go, and just couldn't be any ol nasty leg to do that. This might not be the way it's done today, but back when I went through Jump we had a few Recon guys that took leave so they could get the school. Sad, but true.

Pete0331
07-29-09, 08:54 PM

More MOS's then that rate billets to jump school.

Thewookie. I wish you could do that with any school or course in the USMC.
I would just take leave to go to courses.
Me: "Hey Quantico have any open spots at OCS? I'm going on leave soon...":marine:

GIrene
07-29-09, 10:49 PM
I think by Jump Billets means that they actively jump while assigned that billet. Its the main requirement for your Naval Parachutist's Wings IIRC (making certain kinds of jumps while actually assigned to a "jumping" billet).

I'm trying to get my butt into this as a re-up incentive. Lacking a bonus (not a big deal) I'm trying to get into a deploying unit and decided I may as well try and hack jump school instead. Though far off you can check out the Marine Detachment's site (https://www.benning.army.mil/usmc/).

I guess I need a jump physical and pass an Army PFT. The latter should be a breeze I remember doing at least 25 Marine Corps pushups very fast under the watchful eye of a DI while in a pit session.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-30-09, 12:05 AM
The following are 'rated' for jump billets (actively Airborne Marines) as far as I'm aware:

All Recon units (Battalions and Force)
ANGLICO
Air Delivery Platoons

Follow this on with re-enlistment incentives if they are still available.

The physical is very similiar to a flight physical.

The pushups need to be 'Airborne' style pushups, BTW. They are done with a fist on the deck and your chest hits it. The run USED to be 'boots and utes', not sure if it's that way now or not. Don't take the PT as a joke, Marines have been known to go down there and fail it.

GIrene
07-30-09, 12:49 AM
Lol thats how we always did pushups for PT tests when I was in my Army JROTC. Though supposedly the Army Manual says that its when your arms form a 90 degree angle and your body breaks that flat plane made by your triceps. Though at that point you are practically a bit over two fists from the ground, might as well go all the way.

I'm getting myself into shape for it... Concentrating on the upper body and running. I do know they love to run there... Good thing, I LOVE running :D

marine95
07-30-09, 01:54 AM

Red patchers (Landing Support) is also a jump billet. Riggers

Sgt Leprechaun
07-30-09, 02:29 AM
Not all red patchers rate it, only those in Air Delivery Platoon.

But I did forget about riggers....