PDA

View Full Version : Hole in Jupiter 10X the size of Earth

jetdawgg
07-28-09, 11:20 AM
http://spaceweather.com/submissions/pics/t/Tom-King-jupiter20090726toucam3af20_150_1248639651.png?PHPS ESSID=2kaeeoerafipn3to6qb6c7jcr6

It is stunning to see what can be done with equipment available to amateur astronomers. This morning I was fortunate to have very favorable conditions for imaging, and captured a truly once in a lifetime image of Jupiter, complete with the recently formed impact debris cloud, using my LX90 8" telescope! An element of luck certainly was also a factor, since I knew there was a 50/50 chance the impact debris would be facing Earth while Jupiter was visible during the window of opportunity for imaging this morning.

Although Jupiter did not rise above the trees until 02:59a.m. local time, any hint of sleepiness dissapated once the image of this special event painted itself on the screen of the computer! Photo details: Philips PCVC740K camera, Meade 8" LX90 telescope, Meade IR filter. 329 of 621 1/33sec exposures stacked and processed in Registax Software.

http://spaceweather.com/submissions/large_image_popup.php?image_name=Tom-King-jupiter20090726toucam3af20_150_1248639651.png

Pete0331
07-28-09, 11:25 AM
Cool pic.

I'm still waiting until I have the opportunity to join the United SPACE Marine Corps.
I hear Risa is the Phuket of the Milky Way. :marine:

yellowwing
07-28-09, 11:25 AM
"Hole in Jupiter 10X the size of Earth" - is that an intro to a Budget Joke? :D

Osotogary
07-28-09, 02:17 PM
Would you mind cleaning your lense? LOL
Great shot. In San Francisco there used to be a group of bikers that belonged to a club called "The Sidewalk Astronomers". These guys looked badazz but had a definite celestial interest. They made some really nice, home constructed, telescopes.

Supersquishy
07-28-09, 02:21 PM
Yea it was just impacted a few days ago by a huge astroid. Left a massive hole. Suprized the hole is still there, remember the planet is made of mostly gas, (not fart gas Marines).

Osotogary
07-28-09, 02:51 PM
Not that this has anything to do with the hole on Jupiter.
At this Boy's School that I attended they had a dog on the premises who was named Jupiter. What made this dog "famous" was that if you showed him a slice of balogna he would get an erection. I dare say I never ate a balogna sandwich after that and I stayed away from Jupiter but ,heck, if you had a balogna sandwich and wanted to eat it near Jupiter... I wouldn't have stopped you. LOL.