PDA

View Full Version : Marine works towards college degree while serving in Iraq

thedrifter
07-28-09, 06:37 AM
Marine works towards college degree while serving in Iraq

7/28/2009 By Cpl. Jo Jones , Multi National Force - West

AL ASAD AIR BASE, Iraq —

When Marines come back from a deployment, they can come back with awards, medals or even a college degree.
Cpl. Dakota Berg is taking advantage of the Department of Defense’s tuition assistance program to pursue a degree while deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

“I took an accounting class in junior high school and really liked it, so I continued to take [accounting classes] in high school,” said Berg, who is now working on a degree in accounting.

He decided to join the military as a way to pay for his education and began recruit training at Parris Island, S.C., just two weeks after graduating from high school in 2006.

“I joined because the Marines are very prestigious,” said Berg. “They also have great educational benefits, and I knew I could become financially stable.”

Just six months after graduating from supply school and joining II Marine Expeditionary Force Headquarters Group, at Camp Lejeune, N.C., Berg took advantage of a tuition assistance program and started taking online college courses through University of Phoenix.

“Tuition assistance is a program that the Department of Defense authorizes so that active duty personnel can participate in off-duty volunteer education,” said Lori Popp, an education technician with the Lifelong Learning section of Marine and Family Services, aboard Camp Lejeune. “Voluntary education programs help members improve their mission performance, prepare members for greater responsibility and enhance their professional, as well as their personal, potential.”

Now serving overseas with II MHG (Forward) Transition Team Supply section aboard Al Asad Air Base, Iraq, Berg continues to progress and is about halfway done with his associate’s degree in accounting. He plans on re-enlisting and finishing his bachelor’s degree, which would make him the first college graduate in his family.

Berg said the tuition assistance program has relieved a lot of financial and mental stress.

“I’m debt free, and tuition assistance is allowing me to save money for my future with my wife,” said Berg.
Popp said it is easier now than it was in the past for deployed service members to take college courses, because of technological advances in distance education. She also noted that more than 1,000 active duty Marines and sailors deployed around the world are currently using tuition assistance.

“As more and more Marines and sailors are getting deployed, more and more colleges are opening their doors to our deployed service members,” said Popp. “There are so many opportunities now for our deployed [service members] to get their degrees. It really is an exciting time to be going to school.”

Whether deployed overseas or serving on the home front, tuition assistance helps Marines like Berg accomplish their educational goals and allows service members to back their brawn with brainpower.

Ellie