PDA

View Full Version : Meritorious Service

thedrifter
07-30-03, 05:45 AM
Meritorious Service

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Exclusive commentary by Jack Burns

Jul 29, 2003

The award of the Bronze Star to PFC Jessica Lynch has brought a flurry of comments from the media and “experts” from all walks of life. Does she deserve it? Is it proper? Is she a hero? Doesn’t this elevate her to hero status? Is it justified?

As one who has been awarded a few of these and as one who has written a few of these, I feel qualified to comment on the award. I would request that anyone who has not been awarded a Bronze Star, keep their “Damm” opinions to themselves.

Those of us who have “Crosses, Stars, Medals and Badges” earned in combat are sick and tired of people who have not earned such items making money by commenting of the award of such. Unless you were standing next to the awardee, you don’t know Jack.

But, for those who don’t know; let’s examine the criteria for award:

Item One: The award requires the person to be serving in a combat zone: She qualifies.

Item Two: The award requires the person not be involved in aerial flight (The Air Medal is for that.): She qualifies.

Item Three: The award requires involvement in military operations with an armed enemy: She qualifies.

Item Four: The award may be for Heroism (Bronze Letter “V” Device), Meritorious Achievement or Meritorious Service. She was not awarded a “V” device.

So, was her award for Achievement or Service and was it Meritorious?

Certainly, survival under her circumstances was an achievement. Certainly, enduring the pain of being bounced around by the Iraqis and rescue without screaming her head off was an achievement. And, I think not mouthing off to the first news agency that offered her big bucks and not having a press agent were achievements; so, she achieved.

She served her Country and that service was positive. She was captured through no fault of her own. She was damaged through the actions of an armed enemy and had little chance to fight, but carried on, as best she could. Even if that was only continuing to take a breath, it was service to her Unit and Country; so, she served.

Meritorious actions are those that reflect credit on the Individual, Unit, Service and Country. She performed in a manner that is approved and therefore deserves merit and is meritorious. Her actions had worth, therefore merit.
Interestingly enough, at the end of WWII an award of the Combat Infantryman Badge or Combat Medical Badge was considered automatic qualification for the Bonze Star. They seem to have the same worth. They were a little more difficult to get in Vietnam.

If you don’t like women in combat, that is another issue. I’m not sure I want anyone in combat I can prevent from being there; ANYONE! But, this is not an issue of politics. It is also not an issue of others who deserve awards; many more are due. Hopefully, many more will be awarded for past action, in this war, and few for future incidents. It is an award for a young soldier who earned it. Just like many others, this soldier will live with this award and memory until death. All others “Keep Off the Grass.”

http://www.washingtondispatch.com/article_6242.shtml

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

firstsgtmike
07-30-03, 07:32 AM
This is sickening.

"Even if that was only continuing to take a breath, it was service to her Unit and Country; so, she served."

"She performed in a manner that is approved and therefore deserves merit and is meritorious. Her actions had worth, therefore merit. "

No, I have not been awarded a Bronze Star, with or without the Combat "V". I always felt it was because I hadn't earned one.

However, after reading this, and other background accounts, I have come to the conclusion I rate at least ten, and perhaps eleven. Perhaps they should throw one more in because they are cheaper by the dozen.

I realize the difficulty in retroactive awards, so veterans are not eligible. But for those on active duty, they can be awarded as prizes in MRE's.

The sames rules would apply as with "frequent flyer" miles. They can be collected and traded in for upgrades, but can only be used by the original awardee (lucky finder).

With a little bit of forethought, they can be used to make the less desireable MRE meals more attractive. "I know this tastes like ****, but I average a Bronze Medal every nine meals. My buddy even found one with a Combat V."

JAMarine
07-30-03, 11:05 AM
I have to stand on the side of the article.

I too (if the criteria is correct) might even qualify for a few. Oh well $hit Happens.

If she qualifies,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Let her have it.

I like the last statement;

It is an award for a young soldier who earned it.
All others “Keep Off the Grass.”

virwar
07-31-03, 10:36 PM
I once tried to put up a Sgt for a Bronze Star for volunteering to drive a truckload of ammo through a mine field in Desert Storm ( which he did do, I believe it's even noted in his SRB ). After speaking directly and indirectly to no less than six admin types I was told by all, that "you have to do something brave in order to recieve a Bronze Star". They wouldn't even let me submit the request and down grade it at there own discression (maybe to a Navy Achievement Medal ??? ). I accepted it and moved on. The bad part is, that about 6 months later I had to stand at attention for 45 minutes while the 1st Sgt read off eleven NAMs that the admin types put each other in for, for just doing their job. I was sick and lost A LOT of respect for a lot Marines that day.:thumbdown :thumbdown :thumbdown Semper Fi Dave

top1371
07-31-03, 10:53 PM
NOT!

If they give out the Bronze Star for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, I should have one tatooed on my forehead.

But, we cant be too hard on her. It isn't like she wrote the award. And I can just hear the story she tells her grand kids about the award...

Well.... we got lost ....I.....I.... I ... don't remember what else happend .... and they gave me the Bronze Star....

Duh...

firstsgtmike
08-01-03, 04:53 AM
Just for the record, in my several posts on this issue, I have NEVER denigrated PFC Lynch. I always considered her a victim.

I "borrowed" this from another website.
-----------

"I think she's a real hero. Not because she was captured; not because she may or may not have been beaten up - there seems to be a difference of opinion on whether her injuries were caused
by the accident or by rifle butts; and not because she was rescued (or maybe not); but because:

1) When she was in Walter Reed, after weeks of silence, the Army said she was suffering from "amnesia." Her father, in a subsequent interview, denied that was the case.

Reading between the lines, it seems obvious that her "amnesia" stemmed from her refusal to go along with the bull**** story of her rescue the administration was trying to promote. Think of it: a 19-year-old kid, hospitalized and in pain, showing that kind of moral courage, a courage that has nothing to do with guns and killing. This is heroism in the best and truest sense of the word.

2) At her homecoming, she thanked her family and her friends. She thanked the governor of West Virginia and Senator Rockefeller, both Democrats. She thanked the staff of Walter Reed. She thanked the Iraqis who helped her. She spoke fondly of Lori Piestawa and the others who lost their lives in the ambush that resulted in her capture. One person not mentioned in her speech?

President Bush, her Commander-in-Chief.

3) Notice also that President Bush, who usually can't wait to bask in the glow of such celebrities, has not come within a country mile of Private Lynch. Her medals, a Bronze Star, POW medal, and Purple Heart, were awarded to her at her homecoming, not at the White House, as one might expect.

For such a national hero, wouldn't you expect at least a bedside visit while she was at Walter Reed Hospital from her Commander in Chief? But noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, not a sign, not even so much as a phone call.

To me, that tends to confirm that my Reason No. 1 (see above), may be accurate."
----------------------------
Me again! I believe that there are many, military and civilians, with egg on their faces. From what I have read, PFC Lynch looked down on it all with amazement and amusement.

For THAT reason, perhaps she DOES deserve a medal.

thedrifter
08-01-03, 05:53 AM
Medal of shame

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: July 31, 2003
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

Last week, Pfc. Jessica Lynch returned to Palestine, W. Va., to a hometown celebration few service members have experienced.

Everyone who puts on the uniform of the United States military and serves honorably deserves our admiration and respect, especially those who have been wounded and /or become a prisoner of war.

I do not begrudge Jessica this attention. She was lost and presumed dead, survived a terrible ordeal and was rescued. She has endured physical and mental pain and there is more to come before she is healed.

I pray for her full and complete recovery, but I fear that her road back will be a lot more difficult than it should be. There is a big difference between being a hero and a victim of circumstance. However, in Jesse's case, that distinction has been blurred. This is unfortunate.

For her service to this country Jessica was awarded the Purple Heart and the POW medals. These are two awards no one sets out to attain, but those who earn them are deeply revered. Jessica can and should wear them with pride.

However, along with those citations, she was awarded a Bronze Star for "meritorious service in combat," which was (how do I put this delicately) somewhat of a stretch.

Her citation says:

For exemplary courage under fire during combat operations to liberate Iraq, in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Private First Class Lynch's bravery and heart persevered while surviving in the ambush and captivity in An Nasiriya. Private First Class Lynch's belief in the battalion's motto "One Team, One Fight" is in keeping with the finest traditions of military service. Her honor, courage and dedication reflect great credit upon herself, 507th Maintenance Company, 3rd Infantry division, Victory Corps, and the United States Army.

To be fair, the Bronze Star is not a high-level award. It has been described as an everyman's medal and all of her captured comrades received one with the exception of Pfc. Patrick Miller, who was awarded a Silver Star for truly distinguishing himself by killing up to nine Iraqi fighters before being captured.

The Bronze Star often is awarded to every member of a unit that comes under fire and fights valiantly. It also is awarded for meritorious achievement connected with a military operation that does not involve combat, but let's be clear about what happened to the 507th Ordnance Maintenance Company: It made several navigational errors, got lost and was ambushed.

Jessica never fired her weapon. Reports are that she tried to fire her M-16, but it jammed – which was the case with many others in her unit, probably the result of "inadequate individual maintenance in a desert environment." As a result, she simply was a passenger in the back of a vehicle driven by Lori Ann Piestewa, who during the ambush crashed into the back of a jackknifed tractor-trailer truck in front of her.

Most of Lynch's horrific injuries were sustained in the crash which critically injured Piestewa and killed several of her colleagues. In short, it appears that all Jessica could do was hang on. She survived because of the medical attention she received and the heroics of several Iraqi citizens and the Special Forces unit who came to rescue her.

Isn't it enough that Jessica be a symbol of hope? Isn't it enough that we admire her for her grace and her spirit without asking her to live up to the image of a combat hero?

Unfortunately it appears that some of those Bronze Stars handed out to members of the 507th may have been awarded to ease the consciences of those who allowed the "risk rule," which traditionally kept women from being assigned to units where they are subject to taking enemy fire or capture, to be scrapped. If that is the case, these medals should be viewed as medals of shame – not for Lynch and the others – but for those responsible for blurring the line between combat and combat support.

While women have provided valuable support services to our military, they are unsuited for combat. Those who pretend otherwise not only risk the lives of these women, but the men who serve beside them.

For those who would like to take positive action against the Clinton-era social engineering in the military, go to Americans For The Military and sign the petition to President George W. Bush and pass it along to all your friends.

Here's hoping that, when Jessica is well, she, too, will stand against the forces of political correctness that are out to prove men and women are interchangeable fungibles. Now that will take real courage!

Jane Chastain is a WorldNetDaily columnist and host of the Judicial Watch Report radio show, heard daily from 4 to 5 p.m. EST on the USA Radio Network.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=33848

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

MillRatUSMC
08-01-03, 06:30 AM
Criteria: <br />
a. The Bronze Star Medal is awarded to any person who, while serving in any capacity in or with the military of the United States after 6 December 1941, distinguished himself or herself...

MillRatUSMC
08-01-03, 06:33 AM
PS to the post above...a little voice from my past...
"I won't give you any medals for doing your job!"
My company commander Golf Co 2nd Bn 1st Marines (67) in Vietnam.

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

gemntx
08-01-03, 07:48 AM
My opinion on this matter is somewhat tainted. Having been through the system as recipient to writer of awards, I am familiar with the mindset of the Corps in regards to awards and medals. The Army on the other hand has a decidedly different philosophy on awards and medals. I take nothing away from the young lady in receiving the medal, she did not initiate the award. However, the Army has not learned anything from history in handing out medals like parking vouchers. Any Marine wearing a medal won in combat or during combat conditions for the most part did earn it in accordance with the spirit of the award. They have meaning! The bottom line is that she and the Army will have to defend the award, something the Marines don't have to do.

Glenn

0811IraqVet
08-01-03, 11:49 AM
What she went through is what some people go though just for military training, I.E., Boot Camp, SERE School, etc. There have been some really great service members that have died earning a Bronze Star. She Should only get the POW Medals and maybe the Purple Heart. After all, that's what they created the POW Medal for anyway. If this is the case, then my entire Battery should be rewarded for our actions as well as allot other combat units.:confused:

JChristin
08-02-03, 12:43 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by thedrifter
[B]Medal of shame

Posted: July 31, 2003
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

"While women have provided valuable support services to our military, they are unsuited for combat. Those who pretend otherwise not only risk the lives of these women, but the men who serve beside them."

The author of the above statement reveals a deep seeded hatred of women - even if the author is a woman. Too bad the author doesn't hold those of the female gender in positive regard. Glad I don't waste time reading empty headed opinion such as that while eating my wheaties in the morning. Someone like that would have all women wearing dresses to the floor again.

semper fi,
jchristin