PDA

View Full Version : Housing Allowance

stevemorales816
07-27-09, 11:03 PM
Hello Marines!

My wife and I were wondering if its possible for me to live on base and still recieve BAH? She and my daughter wouldnt be able to join me at a duty station for atleast a year because of school. Im not trying to pull a fast one on Uncle Sam or anything. I don't wanna have to live in an apartment by myself and use up the BAH when she and our daughter still need a place to live. I asked my recruiter and he wasnt sure. Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

dizark
07-27-09, 11:14 PM
As far as I know, no you can't live on base and still receive BAH. It's considered double dipping as technically you're receiving BAH while on base but you're not seeing it or so I'm told.

stevemorales816
07-27-09, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the input Marine.

scifguard
07-28-09, 12:07 AM
Your wife need to be with you when you get a house and I suggest taking care of all of the paperwork while at your MOS school so you won't be stuck on the waiting list for half a year.

DIBLO7
07-28-09, 12:27 AM
Yes it is possible to live on base and receive BAH. However, it wont be in base housing, it'll be in the barracks. Until your wife and daughter join you, you will receive BAH at the zip code that she lives at.

dizark
07-28-09, 07:22 AM
Thanks for that info Sgt. I apologize for the misinformation.

FLRULZURSHPSCKS
07-28-09, 08:01 AM
As the Sgt said, you can. You will live in the brks at your school and get BAH. Send what you need to home, save the rest or invest it if you can, just don't waste it. Best advise you can get is stay smart with your money while you're in. Guarunteed money every 1st and 15th but the extra helps a lot.

stevemorales816
07-28-09, 03:06 PM
Yes it is possible to live on base and receive BAH. However, it wont be in base housing, it'll be in the barracks. Until your wife and daughter join you, you will receive BAH at the zip code that she lives at.

The barracks sound like a great place to live if I can still recieve BAH for my girls. Is there a time limit on the "double dip"? Im sure there will be plenty of paperwork that goes along with that. Is this a common situation? Thanks Marine.

stevemorales816
07-28-09, 03:11 PM
As the Sgt said, you can. You will live in the brks at your school and get BAH. Send what you need to home, save the rest or invest it if you can, just don't waste it. Best advise you can get is stay smart with your money while you're in. Guarunteed money every 1st and 15th but the extra helps a lot.

Extra does help. And I need every penny I can get. We have a joint account so I plan on only using what I need. Hopefully she'll give me an allowance.;) Thanks Marine.

Supersquishy
07-28-09, 03:18 PM
I think they will put you up in the Barracks(free) only if there is space available(there usually is). That or they will put you up in the TLF which is pretty cheap, don't know if they will pay for it or if you will. This is from observations when we had a couple Marines in your situation; they put them up in our Barracks because we had rooms available. They really do try and help you the best they can.

GyC
07-28-09, 05:43 PM
MOS school I believe is still free of charge, however do the Geographical Bachelor Barracks still exist?? I haven't been on a base in 8 years so, not sure, but I lived in the GEO through some marital...

stevemorales816
07-28-09, 08:22 PM
$45/mo. sounds good to me. Hopefully the price hasn't gone up too much in the past few years. Thanks Marine.

GyC
07-28-09, 08:23 PM
$45/mo. sounds good to me. Hopefully the price hasn't gone up too much in the past few years. Thanks Marine.

No problem Friend...:banana:

Qwarkeh
07-28-09, 08:27 PM
At MOS school they will stick you in the barracks until you go to your first duty station. During this time you will receive a BAH. If your MOS school is one of the few that does let you live outside the barracks (base housing/off base housing), you'll still get BAH.

Where I am, students living in the barracks (married or not) do not pay extra for living there. Also, if you do end up at one of the schools that let's you have a house for your family, I highly advise that you DON'T. The instant you move out of the barracks is the instant you have to actually start paying for food, and that can add up when you start getting stuff that's "better" than what the chow hall has!

stevemorales816
07-28-09, 08:32 PM
At MOS school they will stick you in the barracks until you go to your first duty station. During this time you will receive a BAH. If your MOS school is one of the few that does let you live outside the barracks (base housing/off base housing), you'll still get BAH.

Where I am, students living in the barracks (married or not) do not pay extra for living there. Also, if you do end up at one of the schools that let's you have a house for your family, I highly advise that you DON'T. The instant you move out of the barracks is the instant you have to actually start paying for food, and that can add up when you start getting stuff that's "better" than what the chow hall has!

Thanks Marine. What about once I hit my duity station? She wont be able to join me for almost two years because of school.

GyC
07-28-09, 08:41 PM

Can't keep your meal card?? I kept mine while living in GEO... Surrendered my COMRATS/ BAS

Sgt Leprechaun
07-28-09, 11:37 PM
Should be able to.

And, there are some very long MOS schools that actually DO allow dependants to join the Marine, I believe that they have to be a year or more for you to be eligible for that.

When I was a geo batch I got to keep my meal card.

Lastly, you cannot apply for housing whereever you are ending up UNTIL you physically check into that base. Then you get on the waiting list. You'll still be drawing BAH but it will change to the base you are living, not where your family is, at that point. Once you get housing, BAH stops, and make darn sure it does, since if you are in housing and drawing BAH, it's considered de-frauding the gov't and they take that VERY seriously, to the point of kicking you out and jailing you, PLUS you get to pay all the money back.

Qwarkeh
07-29-09, 05:55 PM
Thanks Marine. What about once I hit my duity station? She wont be able to join me for almost two years because of school.

I've been at school for 10 months (getting outta here Friday!), and the example I gave was for my school here at Alpha Company, Marine Corps Communication Electronics School, Twentynine Palms, California. Every school does things differently so it would be best to not get your hopes up through the roof.

If your school really will last two years, then I'm almost certain that you'll be able to apply for on base housing, or at least to live out in town when you first get there. It takes quite a while for it to go through, though. Of course the ability to do this depends on your command.

I cannot help you with any questions regarding duty stations, because I haven't been to one yet!

Can't keep your meal card?? I kept mine while living in GEO... Surrendered my COMRATS/ BAS

I've never heard of a GEO until I read this thread, so I don't know about that. All I know is that when a student here moves out of the barracks to live in a house, his meal card is yanked but still has COMRATS. The problem with that is that all the married students here spend a ton of cash on food because they think the chow hall food is crap.

stevemorales816
07-29-09, 06:16 PM
What I mean by school is that my wife still has two years of college to go. Not MOS school. Sorry bout that Marines. Once I hit my duty station she won't be able to come with. That's where my question comes in. Thanks

Sgt Leprechaun
07-30-09, 12:15 AM
The Marine Corps doesn't give you that option. If she stays home, you'll draw BAH for whatever your duty station is. They may actually tell you you have to move out in town due to lack of barracks space. A lot will depend on your command and the populatoin of the base.

Petz
07-30-09, 12:17 AM
also... if new info lep... if you get the privitize housing on base the cost may be less than what you get for BAH and you could end up having some extra money in pocket, but that cost comes with other expenses such as utility bills...........

Sgt Leprechaun
07-30-09, 12:22 AM
Correct. I don't think he wants either, tho. Wife is gonna 'stay home' and go to college while he does the Marine thing on base.

Realistically, knowing what I do, I give this marriage about a 5 percent chance of survival if this is the path that is taken.

Petz
07-30-09, 12:24 AM
well, geo isn't too bad so long as the wife has her comfort zone... it's when you drag them out of it and the high stress and need for human interaction causes them to fail.

I think it's got higher odds of 25% decreasing steadily every 6 months after she graduates...

stevemorales816
07-30-09, 02:35 PM
This isnt the path that we're taking. We're just exploring our options and maping things out way in advance. Thanks for the info Marines. I love the blunt answers! They're not sugar coated like most are from the recuiters.

Petz
07-30-09, 05:23 PM
you can make it work if you're a Sgt or SNCO who's on their second or third enlistment with plenty of deployments under their belt and the two of you are still together...

but I'd try not to be that way as newly weds... (and that includes her to the Corps...) rules change, things she doesn't understand make her not trust you....

you should geo bach it while in training then move her in with you when you get your base housing (get her involved with choosing... because you can pick if you have time)

stevemorales816
07-30-09, 05:41 PM
She has alot of say so in everything I do. She is backing me 110% in my decision to join the Corps. If she wasn't I wouldn't be here asking questions. I'm just trying to build a plan before its go time. I know many of you are thinking that I should be focused on earning the title of Marine. I know boot camp is going to be the most challenging obstacle I have ever encountered. I am preparing for this both physically and mentally, focusing more on the mental factor. Thank you for your time Marines.

Supersquishy
07-30-09, 05:58 PM
She has alot of say so in everything I do. She is backing me 110% in my decision to join the Corps. If she wasn't I wouldn't be here asking questions. I'm just trying to build a plan before its go time. I know many of you are thinking that I should be focused on earning the title of Marine. I know boot camp is going to be the most challenging obstacle I have ever encountered. I am preparing for this both physically and mentally, focusing more on the mental factor. Thank you for your time Marines.
Its good to see someone look at the whole picture and do research pertaining to their lifes decisions. I wish you luck in your endeavors! You are lucky to have a wife that supports you! :thumbup:

Petz
07-30-09, 08:43 PM

no, focusing on boot camp is for single kids out of high school... Married guys need to focus not just on that but on the "game plan" for the family.

it's your first "deployment" as it were with a short pit-stop before MCT and then onto MOS school.

I will gladly answer some more of your questions off-line (via PM) if you'd like to shoot me a line.

stevemorales816
08-02-09, 10:40 AM
no, focusing on boot camp is for single kids out of high school... Married guys need to focus not just on that but on the "game plan" for the family.

it's your first "deployment" as it were with a short pit-stop before MCT and then onto MOS school.

I will gladly answer some more of your questions off-line (via PM) if you'd like to shoot me a line.

Thank SSgt Petzold. If anything else comes to mind I'll drop you a line.

Lupo22
08-02-09, 12:13 PM
Ok, I need to chime in, so basically what I've read here is when I finish SOI and move on to my duty station, I can live in the barracks while my wife is finishing her schooling in Florida and still collect BAH for her while living in the barracks? I'm in the same boat as this poolee, except I've already got the title (good luck to you poolee!)

Thanks Marines

GyC
08-02-09, 04:16 PM
Ok, I need to chime in, so basically what I've read here is when I finish SOI and move on to my duty station, I can live in the barracks while my wife is finishing her schooling in Florida and still collect BAH for her while living in the barracks? I'm in the same boat as this poolee, except I've already got the title (good luck to you poolee!)

Thanks Marines

In the Geographical Bachelor's quarters (barracks). I would be surprised if they don't exist anymore... S/F

Petz
08-02-09, 08:54 PM
I think they still do gunny... but at his pay-grade they may keep him in the barracks so long as they got room...

but the Geo-bach barracks at pendleton are in pulgas... middle of no-where.

they probably got more but the crap old barracks in pulgas... the old squad bay style buildings...

GyC
08-03-09, 12:07 PM
I think they still do gunny... but at his pay-grade they may keep him in the barracks so long as they got room...

but the Geo-bach barracks at pendleton are in pulgas... middle of no-where.

they probably got more but the crap old barracks in pulgas... the old squad bay style buildings...

When I was in GEO Quarters, I was a Sgt living with a SSgt... They had everybody in the same barracks, and didn't place according to Rank, for the most part... This was MCAS New River, however, and the Wing is, well, the Wing...:p