PDA

View Full Version : TS Clearance

Prospect1585
07-27-09, 07:21 PM
Hi everyone, my name is Anthony I just joined the site. I recently went to MEPS and scored in the 95th percentile on the ASVAB, and am waiting to take the DLAB (apparently the Marines are so backed up they'll only take me for active duty if I score well on the DLAB). I'm hoping to eventually end up in MOS 0211, and my question is: will the fact that my mother is a french citizen affect my clearance?

Thank you in advance.

GyC
07-27-09, 07:27 PM
Hi everyone, my name is Anthony I just joined the site. I recently went to MEPS and scored in the 95th percentile on the ASVAB, and am waiting to take the DLAB (apparently the Marines are so backed up they'll only take me for active duty if I score well on the DLAB). I'm hoping to eventually end up in MOS 0211, and my question is: will the fact that my mother is a french citizen affect my clearance?

Thank you in advance.

One of the requirements for any job that requires a clearance, is that all immediate family are US citizens... You should speak with your Recruiter about it ASAP... I have seen waivers granted, depending on the length of time that your mother has been here in the States/ been a resident alien... S/F

jackson07
07-27-09, 09:55 PM
I assume you are going to enlist as a 0231 or 27xx. Either way you are actually going for a TS/SCI. You will be hard pressed to get the waiver. Like Gunny said, call your recruiter ASAP and be sure he knows about the situation in detail.

Hologram
07-27-09, 10:16 PM
It will have an effect yes. I'm not sure on the kind of effect, but they don't want you to become a liability should relations turn sour with France for some reason and then France, realizing that it has a citizen with a son in the military with access to sensitive information, employs this piece of information to weaken us.

Point is, good luck getting it, and talk to a recruiter, but don't be surprised when the answer is "No, become a cook."

Kegler300
07-28-09, 04:27 AM
In some cases, depending on the country your foreign relatives are from, you are only granted a TS clearance without the SCI eligibility. I don't think France is one of those countries, though.

Prospect1585
07-28-09, 11:37 AM
Thanks for all the responses, My family has been here since the 70s and my mother,just doesn't want to deal with the paper work recquired to become a citizen, maybe I can convince her otherwise, at this point she is an American. I guess we'll see what happens.

Zulu 36
07-28-09, 04:30 PM
Thanks for all the responses, My family has been here since the 70s and my mother,just doesn't want to deal with the paper work recquired to become a citizen, maybe I can convince her otherwise, at this point she is an American. I guess we'll see what happens.

You've got some time to work on her anyway since first you have to become a Marine in some MOS except 0211, then work your way up in rank. You have to be at least a sergeant to be an 0211. That means you have a minimum of 3 - 4 years to work the problem.

Of course, all of that assumes you personally are otherwise qualified for a TS clearance and all of the accesses required of an 0211.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-28-09, 11:32 PM
The 0211 field is one of the most demanding and interesting in the Corps, but it's a 'lateral move' only MOS, one of the few left. You CANNOT enlist for it, and as Zulu stated, you must be a Sergeant or above (but a Cpl can be waivered) to be considered.

There are some other things as well, in addition to the clearance.... First you must be able to write, and write well. Believe it or not. Next, good PFT scores. And last, good Marine Corps references. You'll be interviewed several times in the process.

If your mother has been in the US since the 70's, it shouldn't be a big issue, but it WILL come up and you'll have to explain, so will she.

I'd suggest going the straight 0231 route initially, since that will get you your clearance and put you into the mix as far as writing and briefing goes.

jackson07
07-29-09, 03:54 AM
A Cpl does not need a waiver to become a 0211. They are actually taking senior lances.

0231Marine
07-29-09, 07:47 AM
A Cpl does not need a waiver to become a 0211. They are actually taking senior lances.

*Cough* BULLSH!T *Cough*

Where the hell did you hear that at? You have to have the required TIS/TIG as a Cpl to be approved for lat-move into 0211. Once you complete the school, the cutting score for 0211 Sgt drops to whoever has the lowest score in the school house and everyone picks up the following month. There are no 0211 operators that are below the rank of Sgt. They may have Cpl's that are OJT'ing before going to NMITC but they have not received the 0211 MOS designator yet.

OB MSG
07-29-09, 08:16 AM
Per the base question of this thread:

You will have to do some explaining, and there will be some extra poking around, but as long as you are otherwise qualified for the TS clearance, your mom's status should not be an issue. I myself traveled overseas and had a British girlfriend and my wife is Canadian (she has a green card now, but I went through a re-cert on my clearance before she got it, didn't have any trouble). All I had to do was answer a few extra questions and dig up some more contact info for the investigators.

Good Luck and keep marching, you'll get there.

Supersquishy
07-29-09, 08:36 AM
I myself traveled overseas and had a British girlfriend and my wife is Canadian.

Nice:thumbup:

Prospect1585
07-29-09, 10:09 AM
OB MSG: Thanks! Nice to know that someone in a similar situation got the clearance. Can't wait to join you guys in the greatest military branch in the world.

OB MSG
07-29-09, 10:49 AM
Yeah, it wasn't so bad. A little extra work for a whole lot of benefit. The TS I received helped me land a job with one of the top consulting firms in the world. So remember:

Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff!

Accord
08-17-09, 01:13 PM
0231Marine, check your PM's.

hussaf
09-18-09, 08:51 PM
Actually;
They are taking E-3's in the MOS, but I don't know of any that have actually passed through the screening process and schoolhouse. They are also taking women now (Marines, not just Navy). For women, you will likely be stuck in an RDF doing interrogations. This is all pretty new for this year and they likely are still fleshing out the minor details of it. The original requirement was 'first term Cpl or Sgt" with waivers available for SSgts. The whole accepting SSgt's thing got a little out of hand so they started being more strict on it. Don't ask me about the accepting Lance Corporals thing, I think it isn't the best idea and don't really know any instances where its worked out (or even if someone has made it to the schoolhouse). As 0231Marine said, you will likely be a Sgt by the time you deploy (at least if you were a Cpl in school).

For your clearance:
Contact someone at Office of Personnel Management (OPM). They are the ones that process clearances and conduct investigations. They might have a helpdesk, or something, that could give you a solid answer.

Accord
09-18-09, 11:02 PM
hussaf,

I just sent you a private message.

brian0351
09-21-09, 05:25 AM
Just thought I would add my .02...

A friend of mine has a german mother. He went MSG and was given a TS. When he got out he went to work for the State Dept and was given his SCI.

He then went on to marry a German woman and was able to keep his clearance with just a little extra background checking.

You may have another few questions to answer but it isn't a clearance show stopper.