PDA

View Full Version : Your "Take" On A Book Requested

skipper72
07-27-09, 01:21 PM
"Shadow of the Sword: A Marine's Journey of War, Heroism, and Redemption" by Jeremiah Workman (Navy Cross) with John R. Bruning, Presidio Press, 2009: 978-0-345-5121-3

skipper72
07-27-09, 06:40 PM
"Shadow of the Sword: A Marine's Journey of War, Heroism, and Redemption" by Jeremiah Workman (Navy Cross) with John R. Bruning, Presidio Press, 2009: 978-0-345-5121-3

I sometimes forget that I am sent uncorrected proof copies months before new books are available to the public.

"SHADOW" ought to be generally available on or shortly after September 15, 2009.

CH53MetalMan
07-27-09, 06:47 PM
Staff Sergeant Workman was awarded The Navy Cross for his actions at the Second Battle of Fallujah December 2004

I've had the pleasure of meeting Jeremiah on a couple of occasions. He's one fine Marine. I encourage you to buy and read this book. The book isn't merely about war and the battles. Jeremiah doesn't hold back about how PTSD has affected and changed his life.

http://tankerbabelc985.vox.com/library/post/shadow-of-the-sword---a-marines-journey-of-war-heroism-redemption-by-ssg-jeremiah-workman.html

Sgt Leprechaun
07-29-09, 12:07 AM
I'd love to read it!

E5NAMKROW
07-29-09, 12:15 AM
His Actions As A Marine And A Workman Do Not Surprise Me. Both Are Fighters. Semper Fi

skipper72
07-29-09, 09:05 AM
A VERY courageous "Tell All" personal treatise which also exposes the good, bad, and ugly of the contemporary United States Marine Corps. Bravo Zulu, Marine ! Parenthetically, I had, in my almost decade-long military career, 4 close friends who among them had been awarded 2 MOHs and 2NCs. I am not so sure ANY of them would have had the courage to reveal what the SSgt has in this book. It is a VERY important work.

PaidinBlood
07-29-09, 09:07 AM
JWorkDI ....

skipper72
07-31-09, 12:41 PM
A VERY courageous "Tell All" personal treatise which also exposes the good, bad, and ugly of the contemporary United States Marine Corps. Bravo Zulu, Marine ! Parenthetically, I had, in my almost decade-long military career, 4 close friends who among them had been awarded 2 MOHs and 2NCs. I am not so sure ANY of them would have had the courage to reveal what the SSgt has in this book. It is a VERY important work.

Also, "SWORD" is probably one of the BEST, straightforward source books on the close-combat origins and symptomatic consequences of PTSD that one could find. More than that, Workman presents in detail and with great clarity the ineffectuality of the most commonly-offered "therapies;" as well as portraying that, essentially and in many respects, the Iraq War is " 'Nam-revisited."

Troutzilla
07-31-09, 12:58 PM
Looking forward to reading it.....

skipper72
08-02-09, 07:06 PM
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=0 align=right> </TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%" align=left>A Dramatic Story of a Marine At War, <NOBR>July 29, 2009</NOBR>
by Judah Levi

As a former US Marine myself, I have much empathy with Jeremiah Workman. His is a story, not of an officer or military strategist, but what we would refer to as a "grunt" or "ground pounder." An ordinary Marine infantryman in an extraordinary war.

In every war, there are those times that define you. This book is about that moment for Jeremiah Workman. The psychological trauma of war is lasting and, as the book points out, can have a devastating impact on the ones you love the most. Workman shares those intimate moments with us to help us understand.

This is war from the ground up. The emotions, heat, dust, fear, sweat, and everything that happens to a Marine infantryman in a hot war zone. It is good for those who have not experienced combat to read about it and know that we ask our young men and women to do when we send them to war. We expect so much but reward them so little for the sacrifices they make. This book will help you comprehend just how hard those sacrifices can be.

I sincerely recommend the book for all of us who stayed home while we sent this Marine to combat. It is a dramatic but touching story that you will always remember.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=0 align=right> </TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%" align=left>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>