PDA

View Full Version : Thieves Market closing to benefit wounded warriors

thedrifter
07-27-09, 06:17 AM
Thieves Market closing to benefit wounded warriors
Comments 8 | Recommend 0
July 26, 2009 - 5:48 PM
MOLLY K. DEWITT

Thieves Market on U.S. 17 may be closings its doors for good, but not without first giving back to those who have served.

After 26 years of collecting, the business that sells antiques and other secondhand items from beds to books, is closing up shop. The buildings and property have been on the market for nearly two years and were recently sold.

“I want to enjoy the last few years with my family,” said owner Jim Rollen.

The business originally opened in 1983 on Bell Fork Road and moved to its current location in 1993.

In an effort to clear out some of the 20,000 plus items in the warehouse before turning the property over to the new owner, Rollen devised a plan to not only move product but also make some money to send local wounded warriors on deep sea fishing trips.

“I can’t use it. I can’t carry it with me. So I thought, why not give people a bargain for a change?” Rollen said.

Until Friday, all items in the Thieves Market warehouse, which is the building on the left-hand side of the property, are $1. Items that were initially priced below $1 are now 10 cents. The warehouse contains furniture, books, glassware, clothing and much more.

“You could furnish an entire house in here for $10,” Rollen said.

The goal is to raise $10,000. After their first day of the sale Friday Thieves Market had earned about $120 towards the cause.

“It’s not about me; it’s about the warriors,” Rollen said. “I figure I’ve been blessed so it’s time to pass some of this back.”

Rollen said he plans to move items from the antique side of the business over to the warehouse each day to help clear out more items.

Rollen and his staff hope that those who benefit from the reduced prices will find it in their hearts to donate a little extra to the wounded warrior cause.

“I think people need to ante up,” said employee Scott Zembreski. “I have a lot of faith in the people in this town to stand behind what we’re trying to do. I just hope people realize this is not only to get rid of stuff but we’re trying to help out.”

Zembreski, who has worked at Thieves Market for about five years, said he will miss one of the best jobs he’s ever had once the doors close for good.

“It’s one of those jobs I’ve enjoyed doing,” he said. “I think it’s a positive thing that we’re closing because the boss needs it. He needs to spend a little more time with his family.”

Rollen said what he will miss most about the business is meeting and talking to new people.

“You never know who is going to walk through the door and what they’re going to say,” Rollen said. “You meet some of the nicest people in the world that walk through that door every day.”

Thieves Market is open daily from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Contact Molly DeWitt at 910-219-8455 or mdewitt@freedomenc.com.

Ellie