PDA

View Full Version : Any Officers prior Enlisted here??

Devildogg99
07-26-09, 10:50 PM
I am trying to start up a conversation about officers prior enlisted here. I am attending OCS come Oct 2nd Class 202. I was hoping to get some feedback and maybe make some friends in the process. My enlisted side has come to a close as I hit my 10 year mark well in about 15 mins on the 27th of July. A lot of my enlisted side eerily has come to a close on the physical aspect. By physical I meant when I got stationed back at Camp Pendleton, and I revisited the depot in San Diego. It was 9 years since I last walked on the depot. A lot of memories flooded back.

I can not wait to attend OCS. I am in good shape, and been running alot more here. Kind of sucks lately with the rain, and all this humidity. Heat today was too much and I had to run in bursts, and this was at 5pm.

A friend of mine suggested to start running in boots of which I have been off and on but mentioned to run with a 30lb pack for about 4 miles.

Its getting late and I am off to bed. Anyone is welcome to comment!

Semper Fi

skipper72
07-27-09, 01:56 PM
I was a mustang, commissioned in 1957. But I haven't a clue as to what use my experience could be to those in your situation.

jetdoc
07-27-09, 04:43 PM
Glad to see you back Capt.

Hotdog75XX
07-27-09, 06:59 PM
I am trying to start up a conversation about officers prior enlisted here. I am attending OCS come Oct 2nd Class 202. I was hoping to get some feedback and maybe make some friends in the process. My enlisted side has come to a close as I hit my 10 year mark well in about 15 mins on the 27th of July. A lot of my enlisted side eerily has come to a close on the physical aspect. By physical I meant when I got stationed back at Camp Pendleton, and I revisited the depot in San Diego. It was 9 years since I last walked on the depot. A lot of memories flooded back.

I can not wait to attend OCS. I am in good shape, and been running alot more here. Kind of sucks lately with the rain, and all this humidity. Heat today was too much and I had to run in bursts, and this was at 5pm.

A friend of mine suggested to start running in boots of which I have been off and on but mentioned to run with a 30lb pack for about 4 miles.

Semper Fi

Not prior enlisted, but can answer to an extent some of your questions.

From my platoon at OCS the priors were hit and miss. Either good to go or ****bags. Most of the ****bags are the ones who go in there thinking they are better than anyone because they are prior. Alot of priors get the boot for this...as they are the odd man out and it reflects in peer evals and overall attitude. The ones that are good to go usually finish in the top 30% of their OCS company. 5 of the top guys in my platoon alone were prior. Having said that, priors have the highest attrition rate at OCS than any other source right now. One being age and the physical beatdown on the body aspect, and the other is the mentality of going back into a "boot camp like" environment. Who would want to do 10 more weeks of that? So it depends on the prior.

As for training, running with a 30 lbs pack might not be the best way to condition. You can develop shin splints and it will degrade the body. I would suggest running 4 or 5 miles every other day and doing a timed 3 mile every week. A 21 minute mile at OCS is "average" during the intial PFT. So gauge your training based on where your at with that taken into account. Good luck.

Pete0331
07-27-09, 07:17 PM
I am not an officer, but read One Bullet Away by Lt. Nathaniel Fick.
It goes through his OCS/TBS experience and his first few duty stations.

Ruck running is a good way to hurt yourself.
Shin splints, ankle sprains, and knee/lower back problems are what you are at is risk for if you do it.
You aleady need to be at an above avrage fitness level before you start.

Devildogg99
07-28-09, 09:06 PM
I am only 28 in fact just turned 28 3 days ago. I am in pretty good shape as it is with running usually between 21 and 22 mins, and that depends on the day. I def am not going in with the mentality of "I am the **** hear me roar". I plan on taking it like every one else during the transformation. Outside of that I am bringing my experience which on the inside will be helpful there and assisting others when and if needed. Like I said I don't plan on acting like I am better then anyone there. Just planning on doing what I have to, learn and lead.

Wyoming
07-28-09, 09:26 PM
I am only 28 in fact just turned 28 3 days ago. I am in pretty good shape as it is with running usually between 21 and 22 mins, and that depends on the day. I def am not going in with the mentality of "I am the **** hear me roar". I plan on taking it like every one else during the transformation. Outside of that I am bringing my experience which on the inside will be helpful there and assisting others when and if needed. Like I said I don't plan on acting like I am better then anyone there. Just planning on doing what I have to, learn and lead.

I hope you stick around here.

An Lt will be back from a float soon, and as soon as he gets his head down and out of the clouds, he can answer your questions.

Devildogg99
07-28-09, 09:31 PM
I hope you stick around here.

An Lt will be back from a float soon, and as soon as he gets his head down and out of the clouds, he can answer your questions.

I will be around here for quite some time. But, I do go to OCS Oct 2nd. Will he be back by then?

Hotdog75XX
07-29-09, 09:17 PM
I def am not going in with the mentality of "I am the **** hear me roar". I plan on taking it like every one else during the transformation. Outside of that I am bringing my experience which on the inside will be helpful there and assisting others when and if needed. Like I said I don't plan on acting like I am better then anyone there. Just planning on doing what I have to, learn and lead.

That's a great attitude to have. The priors in the platoon especially in the first 3 weeks set the tone. Same thing at TBS. Good luck.

Petz
07-30-09, 12:43 AM
Not prior enlisted, but can answer to an extent some of your questions.

From my platoon at OCS the priors were hit and miss. Either good to go or ****bags. Most of the ****bags are the ones who go in there thinking they are better than anyone because they are prior. Alot of priors get the boot for this...as they are the odd man out and it reflects in peer evals and overall attitude. The ones that are good to go usually finish in the top 30% of their OCS company. 5 of the top guys in my platoon alone were prior. Having said that, priors have the highest attrition rate at OCS than any other source right now. One being age and the physical beatdown on the body aspect, and the other is the mentality of going back into a "boot camp like" environment. Who would want to do 10 more weeks of that? So it depends on the prior.

As for training, running with a 30 lbs pack might not be the best way to condition. You can develop shin splints and it will degrade the body. I would suggest running 4 or 5 miles every other day and doing a timed 3 mile every week. A 21 minute mile at OCS is "average" during the intial PFT. So gauge your training based on where your at with that taken into account. Good luck.

LT, I hear you on the Sh!tbags point... and this is why I'm gonna post this.

as an officer you are expected to use more respectful terminology of those Marines... whether or not you think they are up to snuff they met the same qualifications as you did.

you mentioned the peer evals... if they are out-spoken or feel you guys suck, well I'm sure that reflected on them, this is a character flaw not enough to call them sh!tbags.

so taking everyones character flaws out of the picture, and using your terminology of them, would it be prudent of me to use it on you? sir, are you a sh!tbag? I hardly think so... you made it through OCS... someone feels you can lead Marines. But someone before YOU sir, felt those priors could lead them as well.

I would like for you to think about those Marines who got booted and how you would treat them if they fell under your command in the future as your 1st Sgt or Sgt Maj... would they still be Sh!tbags sir?

Semper Fi and keep the motivation coming!

EDIT: as I know it, OCS is a selection process... not boot camp. Those Marines are still Marines but someone feels they aren't up to the challenge of leading Marines as commissioned officers.

Hotdog75XX
07-30-09, 05:35 PM
as an officer you are expected to use more respectful terminology of those Marines... whether or not you think they are up to snuff they met the same qualifications as you did.

you mentioned the peer evals... if they are out-spoken or feel you guys suck, well I'm sure that reflected on them, this is a character flaw not enough to call them sh!tbags.

so taking everyones character flaws out of the picture, and using your terminology of them, would it be prudent of me to use it on you? sir, are you a sh!tbag? I hardly think so... you made it through OCS... someone feels you can lead Marines. But someone before YOU sir, felt those priors could lead them as well.

I would like for you to think about those Marines who got booted and how you would treat them if they fell under your command in the future as your 1st Sgt or Sgt Maj... would they still be Sh!tbags sir?I hear you on the harsh terminology. I understand where your coming from, however at OCS there are no Marines being evaluated. Only candidates...a candidate maybe a prior enlisted Marine but they pretty much drop the title and everything that comes with it the minute they accept their orders and ship out. It is part of the deal and the hardest part to accept when they step aboard at Brown Field. Especially when a prior SSgt (now a candidate) at OCS has to listen to a Lcpl. talking down to him because he wasn't in a "perfect fireteam wedge". It happens. The priors who don't react to this are the ones who make it...the ones who don't end up showing their ass. This isn't to say the copious amounts of civilians that come through and don't make it aren't either.

There are not multiple shades of ****birds... only one type. One bird may have larger more experienced wings or body than the other bird...but they are still ****birds. Catch my drift? If one of those "birds" were under my command at one point they would no longer be candidates...they would be Marines and I would treat them as such.

I know this sounds a little weird but that's how it works. How would an instructor or staff be able to evaluate candidates if there was a known bias to others that were already Marines?

Petz
07-30-09, 08:50 PM
I'm not asking for a bias, I'm stating the fact that you stated... you're all candidates when you are there... just 'cause they show their ass doesn't make them any less of a Man/Woman... they just...

skipper72
07-31-09, 05:34 AM
Used to be that the United States Marine Corps MADE "us people" the way the Corps wanted us to be. There were no "ruminations" on who might be "sh**birds" and who might not be. No fretting as to what the right attitudes should or should not be. The "system" worked! For enlisted and officers alike. Tony Zinni has written that the system lost its way a few decades ago but is gradually working its way back to what it should be. I most surely remain hopeful that he is right.

Parenthetically, I have been told on here that the problem with us "dinosaurs" is that, as the years go by, we become better than what we were. Legends in our own minds, as it were. And that we merely are envious of those who are on active duty in the Corps, today. I doubt that this program's word auto-censor would accept my reply to that comment and I would likely be banned, again.

I now go on record here as saying that I am respectful, admiring, and supportive of all the fine Marines in the present USMC.

skipper72
07-31-09, 05:48 AM
Used to be that the United States Marine Corps MADE "us people" the way the Corps wanted us to be. There were no "ruminations" on who might be "sh**birds" and who might not be.

We DID use the term "sh**birds" (apparently aka "sh**bags" in the present era). But the term was used only on and against recruits and not AFTER they became Marines. To do otherwise would be an insult to the system which formed Marines. Subsequently, the term was only applied to members of the OTHER branches of the Armed Forces (or else in polite personal forms of address with one's buddies).

As for "peer evaluations !" Sigh. Nevermind....

Isrowei
07-31-09, 09:59 AM
This thread seems to have taken an interesting course...

Hotdog75XX
08-01-09, 12:37 PM
I'll call anyone who doesn't make it through OCS whatever I want. Believe it or not it is possible to be in the Corps and be a sh!tbird. It is not hard course nor did I mean everyone who doesn't make...

skipper72
08-01-09, 12:57 PM
Believe it or not it is possible to be in the Corps and be a sh!tbird.

Agreed !

Petz
08-01-09, 01:03 PM
you've got a very interesting way of looking at things sir. <br />
<br />
and sir, I tried to understand what you meant by saying sh!tbird, but the use you had for it was that the priors were the sh!tbirds, the...

skipper72
08-01-09, 01:17 PM
The content of this thread is having a &quot;profound effect&quot; on me. <br />
<br />
:( <br />
<br />
And I'm in no one's charge but my own.

Supersquishy
08-01-09, 01:26 PM
lol

Hotdog75XX
08-01-09, 02:23 PM
Reading comprehension 101. <br />
<br />
I think it is pretty sad if you are trying to get people to &quot;follow you&quot; on the internet. I have two mustangs as my roommates right now and they use the same terminology...

Isrowei
08-01-09, 02:44 PM
Calm down Hotdog, you're taking this a little too personal.

You and the SSgt make some good points, but I don't think you're getting where he's coming from.

The inherent role of an officer and a NCO/SNCO are two very different things. Some folks who initially desire to be an officer, may find along the way that it is not something they still want, or are cut out for. This doesn't make them sh!tbirds. This just means they didn't complete OCS.

By throwing around labels, such as sh!tbird, onto such people, it doesn't give them a fair shake when they return to the fleet where they still have a job to do. And they may be a kick-ass Sgt, SSgt, or GySgt... but you don't know that if you can't get past the fact that they "didn't make it" in something.

By virtue of being an officer, your words carry weight, intended or unintended. You may just be joshing around with your buddies, but when you drop that evaluation of SSgt Smith based on a very limited exposure... it sticks. The Marine Corps is small. Words travel.

Think of it this way. You will make mistakes as a 2ndLt when you get to your first unit. Do you want people to still be talking about your 2ndLt experiences... when you're a Captain?

It all comes back to the golden rule. Treat others the way YOU would want to be treated. With dignity, respect... and if you have bad words to say... say it behind closed doors to only those people who need to know.

Not taking direction well from a LCpl is not a character flaw. Stealing from another Marine is a character flaw. This is what SSgt Petzold meant about experience to know the difference between the two.

Last thing, don't argue with a SNCO in public on these boards. If you have to reference a d!ck-size competition, take it PMs immediately. You do a disservice to all officers with that kind of talk here in public. When you have your shop, you can set the tone how you like it. But on these boards we are professional gentlemen and should behave as such.

usmcspitfire
08-01-09, 03:46 PM

Semper Fi

Hey SSgt.,

You will be a great example for your fellow candidates to follow, and the Sergeant Instructors will look at you immediately to step in as a leader. I would not worry about it too much, I am sure you will be fine in the leadership aspect.

As far as the physical aspect, I would focus on endurance training, not only in running, but also with push ups, air squats, pull ups, crunches, bends and thrusts, etc. As far as running with boots/pack, I would not run with a pack. The most you will run with at OCS is boots/utes/rifle/canteens and that is the 3 mile E-course. I wouldn't run more than 2 times a week for 3 miles with boots.

Good luck. Feel free to ask any questions about OCS.

skipper72
08-01-09, 03:53 PM
In the ostensibly "Jurassic" ages of The United States Marine Corps (and relative to those who had completed recruit training, or the Academies, or PLC, or OCS, etc.) , officers (and senior NCOs) were counseled, wherever possible, to praise in public and to correct in private. There may have been more than only a few instances where that was VERY difficult to do without considerable restraint. But genuine Marines are all about doing the difficult, at VERY least.

Devildogg99
08-01-09, 05:06 PM
Hey SSgt.,

You will be a great example for your fellow candidates to follow, and the Sergeant Instructors will look at you immediately to step in as a leader. I would not worry about it too much, I am sure you will be fine in the leadership aspect.

As far as the physical aspect, I would focus on endurance training, not only in running, but also with push ups, air squats, pull ups, crunches, bends and thrusts, etc. As far as running with boots/pack, I would not run with a pack. The most you will run with at OCS is boots/utes/rifle/canteens and that is the 3 mile E-course. I wouldn't run more than 2 times a week for 3 miles with boots.

Good luck. Feel free to ask any questions about OCS.

Thank you for the kind words sir! The first reply you did which started to get everyone riled up kind of put me off track. So lets get this thread back on track.

Yesterday I did 3 miles boots/utes. At first it was just going to be a little over a mile fartlek run. However, after I started and then stopped and did exercies I said to hell with it and ran the whole 3 miles. It started to pour down about halfway through which was pretty motivating to say the least.

As far as my pt schedule, right now I pt mon and tues, rest wed and pt thur and fri with the weekend off as rest. My plan is thursdays to be my pft course run and fridays my boots and utes run since I can go home right after that run.

How are lets say the first couple weeks? I talked to a buddy of mine in TBS right and he said it was good to go. The yelling and screaming won't bother me. It happens for stuff out of peoples control as in bad information passed down the chain and so on so forth. I do know the Quigley is going to be balls cold!!

On another post I agree if there is any BS to air out please do it in PM's. That way we can keep this thread true to its intended nature.

V/R

Isrowei
08-01-09, 05:13 PM
<snip>

Dropped you a PM SSgt. Welcome to the boards!

usmcspitfire
08-01-09, 05:26 PM
Thank you for the kind words sir! The first reply you did which started to get everyone riled up kind of put me off track. So lets get this thread back on track.

Yesterday I did 3 miles boots/utes. At first it was just going to be a little over a mile fartlek run. However, after I started and then stopped and did exercies I said to hell with it and ran the whole 3 miles. It started to pour down about halfway through which was pretty motivating to say the least.

As far as my pt schedule, right now I pt mon and tues, rest wed and pt thur and fri with the weekend off as rest. My plan is thursdays to be my pft course run and fridays my boots and utes run since I can go home right after that run.

How are lets say the first couple weeks? I talked to a buddy of mine in TBS right and he said it was good to go. The yelling and screaming won't bother me. It happens for stuff out of peoples control as in bad information passed down the chain and so on so forth. I do know the Quigley is going to be balls cold!!

On another post I agree if there is any BS to air out please do it in PM's. That way we can keep this thread true to its intended nature.

V/R

The first phase (first 3-4 weeks) is the most "intense". It is by design to throw candidates into the deep end and indoctrinate them into the Marine Corps culture. The sleep deprivation was the worst part for me, but it really was not that bad. There were nights I literally did not go to sleep, but I am sure they had that at boot camp too. You should not have a problem with all the games, just help your fellow candidates out. I know I could have helped some of the guys who were struggling a little bit more than I did. Even if you know they do not belong leading Marines, help them out while they are there, it will reflect good on your part to the staff.

The second phase of OCS is designed to teach candidates basic skills/knowledge, while the third phase is designed to let the candidates apply the knowledge they have learned so far.

Semper Fi. :marine:

Devildogg99
08-01-09, 05:35 PM
In bootcamp the first few weeks seemed to mesh. It was intense and I didn't know what was going on so it was a lot of confusing running around. As far as sleep we did get sleep just woke up early which I am use to anyway haha! I think the worst sleep deprivation at boot camp was the crucible I remember only about 3-4 hours over a 3 day period.

I probably won't have to hard a problem during the first few weeks then. I will def help out when and where I can if needed.

When is swim qual?

I can swim but I never attempted higher then class 4 because when I requal'd we had issues with gear and it was a hassle and to much to get in to on here lol.

Another thing I have heard that people make it to week 8 then get dropped. I don't know what for unless they get jacked up physically. That would suck to be 2 weeks from graduating and then get dropped.

I have been on the website looking at all the OCS pictures from pickup to the LRC. I am guessing the LRC is the SULE?

Supersquishy
08-01-09, 05:37 PM
This is an interesting thread, I have a question; I know that OCS is a selection process for fine picking the best candidates and making them Marine Officers(Leaders). I know they look at who is a natural leader and who is not; What do they do in a situation where theres too many Type A personalities trying to lead the group/candidates all at the same time? How do you show yourself as a leader in that situation if you step down and let someone else lead? Or do you stand your ground and possibly knock heads? If any of that makes sense.

Petz
08-01-09, 05:37 PM
The first phase (first 3-4 weeks) is the most "intense". It is by design to throw candidates into the deep end and indoctrinate them into the Marine Corps culture. The sleep deprivation was the worst part for me, but it really was not that bad. There were nights I literally did not go to sleep, but I am sure they had that at boot camp too. You should not have a problem with all the games, just help your fellow candidates out. I know I could have helped some of the guys who were struggling a little bit more than I did. Even if you know they do not belong leading Marines, help them out while they are there, it will reflect good on your part to the staff.

The second phase of OCS is designed to teach candidates basic skills/knowledge, while the third phase is designed to let the candidates apply the knowledge they have learned so far.

boot camp is wholy different than OCS in that boot camp is designed to ensure they become Marines, compared to how they use training to select those worthy of leading Marines. We hit the rack at 20:00 almost like clock-work and woke up at 04:00 for PT and chow (8 hours sleep minus fire-watch)... I'm not saying it's easy... just not meant to put that kind of stress on you like they do at OCS, which I would guess isn't easy either.

I've got a question that could assist in the OP discussion.

what kind of leadership exercises do they do and what could be done to best prepare for them?

Hotdog75XX
08-01-09, 06:22 PM
In bootcamp the first few weeks seemed to mesh. It was intense and I didn't know what was going on so it was a lot of confusing running around. As far as sleep we did get sleep just woke up early which I am use to anyway haha! I think the worst sleep deprivation at boot camp was the crucible I remember only about 3-4 hours over a 3 day period.

I probably won't have to hard a problem during the first few weeks then. I will def help out when and where I can if needed.

When is swim qual?

I can swim but I never attempted higher then class 4 because when I requal'd we had issues with gear and it was a hassle and to much to get in to on here lol.

Another thing I have heard that people make it to week 8 then get dropped. I don't know what for unless they get jacked up physically. That would suck to be 2 weeks from graduating and then get dropped.

I have been on the website looking at all the OCS pictures from pickup to the LRC. I am guessing the LRC is the SULE?

Back on track...after derailing a little. Didn't mean to sound overbearing or disrespectful to any. Not offense Ssgt Petzold, just get a little heated over little things sometimes.

LRCs are two different graded events. You have LRC I and II. They are small problems just like SULE I but not phyiscal demanding. I believe it is done after the 6 mile hump...but my memory is fuzzy. SULE I is like the LRC as in you will be running/shuffling between each station and solving a relatively simple but thought invoking problem. Kind of like Macguyver, here is 2 pieces of wood a rope, an ammo can, and a gap. You have 10 minutes. Get the can over the gap. Something is always messed up, rope is too short, planks are too short, they want you to adapt and find a solution. All stations are graded by a Capt. or SNCO. You don't have to complete the event to pass...just have a 80% solution in process. Not very hard but definitely demanding in it's own right. 80% is a passing score just like every graded event. Very subjective to the evaluators.

SULE II is actually squad in the offense/ambush. However the stations are on average just under or at a mile apart and there is a time hack between each event. Everyone gets evaluated so you'll being running/shuffling for at least 13 different events. It is done after the 9 mile hump. You write a op order the night before and then when you get to your station you get a frag-o and you adjust on the fly. Plotting points, navigating, and giving fire teams coordinating instructions. Probably the toughest event and prettymuch the culminating event at OCS. Hope this helps.

usmcspitfire
08-01-09, 06:26 PM

When is swim qual?

You do not swim qual until TBS.

As far as getting dropped, the reasons are varied per platoon. If it is around week 8, it is usually a leadership drop. We had a candidate that the staff kept around until 3 days before graduation until he got sent home.

The Leadership Reaction Course is a separate event from SULE I/II. It is used to gauge a candidates leadership abilities based on their command presence, communication, ability to task subordinates, and knowing the basic 5-paragraph order (OSMEAC). It is a lot of fun. You have LRC I, and LRC II, which you just do different scenarios than what you did in LRC I.

You can't really prepare for the leadership events besides knowing the 5-paragraph order like the back of your hand. Just keep it simple.

Semper Fi.:marine:

usmcspitfire
08-01-09, 06:31 PM
This is an interesting thread, I have a question; I know that OCS is a selection process for fine picking the best candidates and making them Marine Officers(Leaders). I know they look at who is a natural leader and who is not; What do they do in a situation where theres too many Type A personalities trying to lead the group/candidates all at the same time? How do you show yourself as a leader in that situation if you step down and let someone else lead? Or do you stand your ground and possibly knock heads? If any of that makes sense.

In a situation where there are too many people wanting to be chiefs and not enough Indians, you will get thrashed until your platoon picks up on teamwork. Just like bootcamp, you bond together as a platoon and it starts getting smoother once you do.

You can show your leadership potential when you are not in a leadership billet by helping out your fellow candidates. For example, if someone in a leadership position is jacking something up, do not call them out in front of everyone. Pull them aside and help them out. Then they will say you helped them out on a peer eval which your staff will read. Hope that helps.

Devildogg99
08-01-09, 08:41 PM
You do not swim qual until TBS.

As far as getting dropped, the reasons are varied per platoon. If it is around week 8, it is usually a leadership drop. We had a candidate that the staff kept around until 3 days before graduation until he got sent home.

The Leadership Reaction Course is a separate event from SULE I/II. It is used to gauge a candidates leadership abilities based on their command presence, communication, ability to task subordinates, and knowing the basic 5-paragraph order (OSMEAC). It is a lot of fun. You have LRC I, and LRC II, which you just do different scenarios than what you did in LRC I.

You can't really prepare for the leadership events besides knowing the 5-paragraph order like the back of your hand. Just keep it simple.

Semper Fi.:marine:

Sounds like a lot of fun, minus the long humps!

Devildogg99
08-02-09, 05:15 PM
Good to go on the swim qual and eval questions. It is really going to be a great experience and hopefully I can impart some wisdom on other candidates with not only tactful leadership, but maybe an understanding of how enlisted Marines operate. I know I can tell when some of our Pilots get it and when some don't. We had this one LT who was like "you know there are simple things I can do myself and I have the time, but I got a PFC to do that for me." Then we had the ones who would tell the new pilots to take care of us because we would take care of him. Needless to say I don't see the other LT making it far when he runs across someone that may have the moral courage to say something i.e. my old Sgt Maj haha

Devildogg99
08-02-09, 05:19 PM
To add for anyone interested. Go to http://our.marines.com I believe it is then click on the OCS link to the left. MCRC and OCS have started to follow 6 candidates through the course as a recruiting tool. Really interesting because they write a blog while they attend OCS. There are two videos as well on the site. Pretty interesting to read on what they do. So far from what I read they are ending week 3 by the blogs.

Supersquishy
08-02-09, 05:26 PM
Had a customer say he went through OCS but declined the Commision, he said because of family reasons. He also said that if he were to try it again he would have to go through OCS again. Is that true? He then said that he was thinking about going for it again but was afraid of his age. What is the age cutoff? I did inform him that he might be able to go Enlisted if that was an option and he got all Big Eyed, like " I never thought of that!" look on his face.

Devildogg99
08-02-09, 05:28 PM
Had a customer say he went through OCS but declined the Commision, he said because of family reasons. He also said that if he were to try it again he would have to go through OCS again. Is that true? He then said that he was thinking about going for it again but was afraid of his age. What is the age cutoff? I did inform him that he might be able to go Enlisted if that was an option and he got all Big Eyed, like " I never thought of that!" look on his face.

Candidates from college can say I am done after week 4. However, they are not allowed back. Its a never give up, we don't want people who don't want to be here. I seen that from the OCS CO's mouth about 3 years ago on a training video he did about OCS. He said they can leave but aren't welcomed back.

Petz
08-02-09, 08:45 PM

It's 29... but I think candidates/cadets time is like time in service and you can adjust for tis...

flyby
08-02-09, 11:06 PM
Per the OSO recruiter I talked to, the max constructive age is 35 for PS.

Shrink
08-05-09, 08:42 PM

Semper Fi

I was commissioned a Regular, Unrestricted 2d Lt with DOR 4June48. This followed 10 other recommendations for commissioned rank. I entered the MC in 1944, and had spent all but 5 months of my time overseas, including parts or the entire years of 1945/1948, inclusive.

In 1948 no college graduate in his right mind wanted a commission in the MC. Of the some 310 2dLts who made up the 5th Basic Class (Sep48/June49) there were about 25 from Canoe U, about 10 former officers including Marine, Navy and Army, and about 4 right out of college. We did have a very few, maybe a dozen, who had been sergeants.

The rest of us were former SNCOs, with only about 40 coming from an infantry background. The remaining SNCOs for the most part came from aviation duty. We had lots of ex-navigators, who had been TSgts or MSgts. We had enough aircraft maintenance personnel who had been TSgts or MSgts to have fielded our own Marine Air Wing. We had one gentleman who was credited with shooting down 1 and 1/2 Jap planes. He was a former MSgt who wore the SS as well as the AM and DFC. He was the second Marine enlisted man who had been awarded the DFC. Many of the SNCOs were WW II vets, and we had a sprinkling of such veterans that wore NCs, SSs, BSs, and many had been awarded one or more PHs.

Note that all of us were directly commissioned. OCS was obviously not considered necessary....nor was it. As a group of 2dLts we were unquestionably the most raucous bunch ever graduated from Basic School. As a group we put up with no BS from anyone, regardless of rank.

On one occasion we had fallen out for our usual Saturday inspection when the Inspecting Officer told us in no uncertain terms that we should not wear our Good Conduct Medals. The latter marked us as "lesser beings." Our reaction was instantaneous, and without command from anyone. Namely we took one step forward did a "To The Rear, March" and walked back to our barracks. It took our Company Commander, then Major Oscar Peatross, to talk us back into formation where he made the proper apology.

Of the 310 2dLts who reported to Brown Field in September '48, about 200 of us were still making roll call by the time we graduated in June of '49. Of that number every one of us went to either the 1st or 2d MarDivs.

A year later we went to Korea, many of the younger officers as infantry Platoon Commanders. Those of us who were not killed or wounded during the fight on the Pusan Perimeter would find an even greater challenge in the capture of Seoul. The few who were left had mostly returned from the hospitals in Japan in time for the Chosen Reservoir Campaign. I know of no one who came out of that frozen Hell without frostbite which in some cases required amputation of various bodily appendages.

But hells bells, no one ever promised us a Rose Garden!

However, the reputation we made as a Class established us one to be emulated. Now when we said we went through Basic School with the 5th, our seniors pricked up their ears and took proper notice.

Many of us would again serve with then Col Peatross in 1965/'66 when he commanded the 7th Marines in the southern portion of the Chu Lai TAOR. (I commanded 1/4 in the NE salient of that TAOR.) By that time those of us who had survived Korea were Lieutenants Colonel, and many of us commanded infantry battalions in the same TAOR.

I must add that my fellow officers of the 5th Basic Class who were at the extreme age for commissioning, say from 25 to 27 years old, fared poorly in the promotion sweepstakes. Many were passed over for Major, and only a few made LtCol. That was a rotten shame IMHO. One of my friends had been a mortar man in Lou Diamond's platoon on the canal which made him one of the older classmates. He failed to make Major on the first go-round. But the rank pyramid gets quickly to a sharp point, and obviously promotion boards felt that they needed younger officers to step up to battalion and later regimental command.

Should there be any enlightenment in the foregoing, Devildogg99 or others are welcome to it.

Isrowei
08-05-09, 08:54 PM
It's always great to hear about our history. Thanks for sharing Sir!

Semper Fi!

Petz
08-05-09, 11:08 PM
Per the OSO recruiter I talked to, the max constructive age is 35 for PS.

constructive is right... but it sounds off... I'm guessing that's why it didn't come to mind so I sounded retarded.

but seriously... you can be AD Enlisted for 18 years and up before going to OCS.... wow...

it's still good info to have since lots of guys get out and goto school... YUT.

Devildogg99
08-06-09, 06:38 PM
A message for shrink is OORAH! I read that this morning before I went to work and it was awesome! I forgot what time it was when I started reading and got lost in it and then realized hey I need to finish getting ready for work. A great history read from one of the Few.

Another note is one more week down til check-in. 7 more weeks left till I am in Quantico. Still waiting on BuMed to approve everyones physicals so we can get orders cut.

Petz
08-06-09, 11:55 PM
haha... BuMed.... gotta love them. so many stories from guys trying to get in...

Devildogg99
08-09-09, 07:58 PM
haha... BuMed.... gotta love them. so many stories from guys trying to get in...

Ya but im thinking within the next 2 weeks we should be getting our orders cut. They finally have everything they need from me as of last thursday. 2 months is a long time for them to screen. Of course we have 53 days till check-in but who is counting ;-).

Ya I am counting and I can't help it. I am so motivated for OCS! I am more motivated for this then when I went to the depot in 1999. LOL of course probably now because I know what the Corps is about and know more. Either way I can't wait to take it all in and get re-indoctrinated. Like a rebirth!

Petz
08-09-09, 08:07 PM
haha... "I am sayaved!"

I'm happy for your DD... I really hope it all works without a hitch!

Devildogg99
08-09-09, 08:16 PM
Ya but its probabaly the navy so it'll take longer haha. I went in last week for a 3 day blood pressure check just because the BuMed asked for it. Ok no big deal because my blood pressure is normal at rest and damn good when I PT. On day 3 I was like ok cool can I get that paper stamped. Some HM3 was like you need to make an appointment for that for a follow-up. I said umm no don't need a follow up just a stamp because I never had an appointment for this. We got in to this ****ing contest which was funny. She is calling all these docs just to get it stamped because I was like I need it now and not a week from now. So either stamp it now or I am waiting in sick call line to get it done either way its getting stamped today LMAO!

45 mins later I get it stamped of course but then the DOC LT who stamped it took another reading and kept asking me questions. I was like Sir its for my orders thats it nothing other then that. He was like lets look at your history, then he says well its been good forever according to your history hmm so you just need a stamp. I was like WTF man what the hell have I been saying. Obviously didnt say that to him but still. How effing hard is it to look at your corpsmen readings plus your own then say ok here is your verified copy. Needless to say after that my blood pressure did rise LOL

Devildogg99
08-14-09, 06:04 PM
7 weeks to the day now haha!! Anticipation is growing, and motivation is tripling. The other night I found out Marine Corps times did a story on class 186 and followed them to include videos throughout OCS 10 week course from pickup to graduation. By the time I got done reading/watching the videos it was already 1am. Had to get some sleep and be up at 530am for work. I was ready to go get it done at 1am then realized I was at home. Its all I talk about and think about. Its going to be great lol.

Moved my number 3 choice up to number 1 which is Artillery. Ive been in the Air Wing for 10 years and I really want to go elsewhere so my previous top 2 choices had to get a slight bump. I am wanting to go experience other aspects of the Corps.

Petz
08-14-09, 06:07 PM
be causious with being an arti officer.

if they screw up the whole command gets releaved... though I'm sure you've heard that one already... just wanted you to keep that in mind.

other than that... that's going to be sweet. You'll get some great experiences and if you you're familiar with the air strikes part you'll have like 1% of your training done already! haha....

I'll be waiting to hear your stories from OCS.

Devildogg99
08-14-09, 06:11 PM
No haven't heard that but I do now. I am looking forward to sharing them with everyone when I get back. Glad I have extra time to get some pt in prior to going. I think that's where civilians might...

Petz
08-14-09, 06:16 PM
taking from what was said earlier... be sure the priors in your class don't show their ass... I only hope that was a one time event that was assumed to be all the time.

Devildogg99
08-14-09, 06:31 PM
taking from what was said earlier... be sure the priors in your class don't show their ass... I only hope that was a one time event that was assumed to be all the time.

I have talked to a few of the priors via email. Also know one of them personally. 2 are Gunnys and funny enough one is a DI at OCS who got selected as well. He sent out the first congrats email to us. I got his number he gave us to call him for any information, just haven't done so yet. 44 of us got selected for OCS off of the summer board.

So far out of the 44 I have to talked to several of them. Right now they are already looking to me for answers for a lot of things. Ive been on top of what paperwork we need and I am in constant contact with MCRC like on a weekly basis. I literally email them at least once a week over something then send the answers out in a mass email. Hopefully so far thats a great start since I obviously don't know the civilians lol...

Petz
08-14-09, 06:35 PM
I have talked to a few of the priors via email. Also know one of them personally. 2 are Gunnys and funny enough one is a DI at OCS who got selected as well. He sent out the first congrats email to us. I got his number he gave us to call him for any information, just haven't done so yet. 44 of us got selected for OCS off of the summer board.

So far out of the 44 I have to talked to several of them. Right now they are already looking to me for answers for a lot of things. Ive been on top of what paperwork we need and I am in constant contact with MCRC like on a weekly basis. I literally email them at least once a week over something then send the answers out in a mass email. Hopefully so far thats a great start since I obviously don't know the civilians lol...

that's gonna be funny seeing how the gunny get treated.... haha... I would like to know.

I suspect the priors are going to do very well when you go...

Rogerssp05
09-12-09, 08:41 AM
As a "prior", enlisted Marines didn't fair so well in the OCS environment when I attended (2005). Many of the SNCO's had joint and connective tissue ailments that precluded them from completing the entire school. I attended the six week course for MECEP Marines, which is the same course that PLC Seniors attended. I summarized the experience like this: Boot Camp is as much mental as OCS is physical, at least when I attended the two.

Another problem enlisted Marines had was learning to shut up. I definitely had an issue with it, but a lot of it depends on the platoon staff that one has. The candidates tend to imitate the leadership that they see and apply it to every situation they are put it, rather than coming up with their own leadership style. Obviously, this wan't always the rule...