PDA

View Full Version : Can I join owing Back Child Support?

bTell
07-26-09, 06:14 PM
This is my first post. I have searched but found no answers. My recruiter is on leave for a while but I am curious to some answers before he gets back. The amount I owe is $2000. I have been with the same employer for 2 1/2 yrs. but we have really slowed down. I do pay but I found out I was the father 1 1/2 yrs after the fact and I did'nt even know. So they decided I owed from when she was born thats the reason I owe so much. Thank's for any answer's you have.
When I first mentioned it the recruiter said it was not a problem but later on said I might have to pay it all off so then he went on leave. Basically just wanting other's opinion's.

Lisa 23
07-26-09, 07:11 PM
How about filling out your profile there, and maybe someone will give you an answer. :thumbup:

SGT7477
07-26-09, 08:01 PM
This is my first post. I have searched but found no answers. My recruiter is on leave for a while but I am curious to some answers before he gets back. The amount I owe is $2000. I have been with the same employer for 2 1/2 yrs. but we have really slowed down. I do pay but I found out I was the father 1 1/2 yrs after the fact and I did'nt even know. So they decided I owed from when she was born thats the reason I owe so much. Thank's for any answer's you have.
When I first mentioned it the recruiter said it was not a problem but later on said I might have to pay it all off so then he went on leave. Basically just wanting other's opinion's.
I would say you have to pay it back but I'm sure the courts will settle that for you.:flag:

Sgt Leprechaun
07-26-09, 11:26 PM
GyC will have the answer you seek. He'll be along shortly I'm sure.

I'm thinking you'll have to pay it prior to leaving, but he would be the ultimate authority.

bTell
07-27-09, 05:35 AM
How about filling out your profile there, and maybe someone will give you an answer. :thumbup:

Sorry about that the only thing I seen that wasnt filled out was my favorite MARINE. I joined a while back and I mainly utilize the search function unlike some lol..

SGT7477, How would the courts be able to take care of this issue for me?

Zulu 36
07-27-09, 01:27 PM

Are you making monthly payments on the arrears, or did the court order a lump sum payment? If you are making payments and are up to date, there should be little trouble. If you have not paid a lump sum order, you will have problems with the Corps.

Child support payments take precedence in the Corps and you will not be allowed to make payments on your own. An automatic allotment will be required.

GyC
07-27-09, 04:56 PM

I assume that you and your Recruiter have gone over what is required for a dependents waiver? You have to be able to show that you are no longer in arrears prior to enlisting in the Delayed Entry Program, as it will be part of the dependents waiver. It will either be a statement or a reciept from whatever agency supervises your payments. Normally it is Family Court/DSS. Good luck with your situation... S/F