PDA

View Full Version : We found we had a new best friend, Its name is the M-16 A2 service rifle.

thedrifter
07-29-03, 09:28 AM
Submitted by: MCAS New River
Story Identification Number: 20037299426
Story by Cpl. Andrew W. Miller

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION NEW RIVER, N.C. (July 29, 2003) -- From the first day each one of us set foot in the Marine Corps we found we had a new best friend. Its name is the M-16 A2 service rifle.

We are reminded of this in the creed "My Rifle" by Major Gen. W. H. Rupertus, which we all memorized in recruit training. Yet for so many, just as the creed begins to slip our minds from year to year, so do our marksmanship skills. That's why from time to time we must take a moment to reflect on what we have learned and what it takes to maintain our keen eye and killer aim.

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Prior to qualifying on the rifle range each year, Marines are given a "grass week" to get back into the swing of things. This week is crucial because it allows them the chance to "snap-in" and get the feel back for what a rifle feels like after probably not having fired one in a year.

"If you don't let the Marines snap in, they are not getting 100 percent of the training they deserve," said Sgt. Kelly LeMarie Anderson, Provost Marshal's Office patrol supervisor. "It gives them a week to practice things like position prerequisites, sling adjustments and placements of rounds."

My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

For some Marines mastering the rifle isn't as easy as it sounds, but there is always help.

"The best advice I can think of for Marines wishing to improve their skills is to ask for help," said Cpl. John A. Lantier II, an air traffic controller with the Station's Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron. "Anyone who is a distinguished marksman or expert would be willing to help, but they don't know to help unless they are asked. Remember, there is no way to shoot the wrong way and score high. Ask someone to show you the proper fundamentals."

My rifle, without me is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...

The rifle and the Marine work together. Neither one is beneficial to the other without proper form.

"During snap-in time, getting into the firing positions is a very important step," explained Lantier, native of Lafayette, Louisiana. "Staying in the positions for extended times helps prevent muscle fatigue."

Also during snap-in time, Marines usually have the chance to use the indoor simulated marksmanship trainer.

"The ISMT gives the Marines trigger time," said Anderson, native of Sioux City, Iowa. "This is the easiest way for a coach to find mistakes."

My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war are not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, or the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit...

"Without a doubt the most common mistake I've seen on the rifle range is nervousness," said Lantier. "Marines get too excited and concerned about the next shot instead of concentrating on the one at hand."

Enough time is given to squeeze off all the rounds. Slow down and concentrate. On the range, the hits count.

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories, its sights, and its barrel. I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become a part of each other. We will...

"There is no excuse for not being able to qualify with the M-16," said Lantier. "In almost any city you can think of there are civilian indoor ranges where you can rent a range daily for approximately $10 per day and a rifle for about $7 per day. This would allow a Marine to spend as much time as possible behind the butt stock to learn the rifle. I would recommend doing this at least once a month."

If you look hard enough you will find two or more such ranges in the Jacksonville area.

Before God I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

Safety is paramount. No matter how much you practice and how good you get, your rifle could be just the opposite of the "savior of your life" if you don't use it properly.

So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace.

Practice. Although we are only required to qualify annually, it is our own responsibility to stay sharp.

"For some, these skills come naturally, but for others, it is something we must really work hard on," Lantier concluded.

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: