PDA

View Full Version : Penicillin before boot camp?

rg2o3
07-26-09, 10:17 AM
I have had a problem with ingrown toe nails for awhile now, and I currently just got one. I leave for boot camp August 10th, and was wondering if it were okay for me to take penicillin if it get infected before boot camp. Thank you.

Sorry if this was already posted, I dont believe the first post worked.

GyC
07-26-09, 10:31 AM
I have had a problem with ingrown toe nails for awhile now, and I currently just got one. I leave for boot camp August 10th, and was wondering if it were okay for me to take penicillin if it get infected before boot camp. Thank you.

Sorry if this was already posted, I dont believe the first post worked.

You need to talk with your Recruiter ASAP... Ingrown toenails can delay your departure for Recruit Training, unless given a Medical waiver... Any medication you take must be disclosed to your Recruiter, you must keep them informed... S/F

rg2o3
07-26-09, 10:39 AM
Thank you Gunner Sergeant. I will actually give him a call ASAP.

mcvet57103
07-26-09, 10:47 AM
Thank you Gunner Sergeant. I will actually give him a call ASAP.BTW It's "Gunnery Sergeant". Once you become one of us you can use "Gunny" (a title of respect, and admiration for the years and experience it takes to get to that rank), but never Gunner or Gunner Sergeant. SF

rg2o3
07-26-09, 10:52 AM
BTW It's "Gunnery Sergeant". Once you become one of us you can use "Gunny" (a title of respect, and admiration for the years and experience it takes to get to that rank), but never Gunner or Gunner Sergeant. SF

Sorry! That was a typing error. No disrespect meant. Sorry for the mistake Gunnery Sergeant.

SlingerDun
07-27-09, 12:09 AM
Hurt like hell don't it. I use a rotary tool to relieve pressure from horn that invades the nail bed, on horses of course...

Measure both feet with the Brannock device before boot camp and try to get boots a 1/2 size larger and wider than your largest foot with socks;

--->Dave

rg2o3
07-27-09, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. Yea they do hurt for such a small injury. I actually went today to get it cut open to get the puss out and got an antibiotic and surprisingly, within a couple hours, my toe feels great. No more pain.

rg2o3
07-27-09, 12:44 AM
Hurt like hell don't it. I use a rotary tool to relieve pressure from horn that invades the nail bed, on horses of course...

Measure both feet with the Brannock device before boot camp and try to get boots a 1/2 size larger and wider than your largest foot with socks;

--->Dave

I will definitely do this. Getting this back in boot camp would not be fun at all.

Zulu 36
07-27-09, 01:48 PM
I will definitely do this. Getting this back in boot camp would not be fun at all.

Are you cutting your toenails correctly? Often, nails not cut straight across can cause the ingrown condition. Also, if you have this problem regularly, you should know by now when an ingrown nail is in the early stages and get it taken care of sooner. Don't wait for an infection and a need for antibiotics.

I know from personal experience that ingrown nails can happen regardless of proper foot care. But the trick is to fix them early if ingrown nails are unavoidable.

You should be taught in boot camp the proper way to cut your nails. Either that or make regular appointments to see Slinger Dunn. :D

rg2o3
07-27-09, 03:24 PM
Are you cutting your toenails correctly? Often, nails not cut straight across can cause the ingrown condition. Also, if you have this problem regularly, you should know by now when an ingrown nail is in the early stages and get it taken care of sooner. Don't wait for an infection and a need for antibiotics.

I know from personal experience that ingrown nails can happen regardless of proper foot care. But the trick is to fix them early if ingrown nails are unavoidable.

You should be taught in boot camp the proper way to cut your nails. Either that or make regular appointments to see Slinger Dunn. :D
I got everything squared away and fixed up. I actually got this a long time ago from inproper cutting of my nails. I eventually learned how to correctly cut them. But it still came back, so I got everything fixed up and I am good to go.

Hamelink83
07-28-09, 08:34 PM
you can take penacillin before hand, your also get a nice large dose of it shot into your hip when you first get there.

rg2o3
07-29-09, 12:41 AM
This thread has gotten me pretty "pumped up" for that shot to say the least. haha