PDA

View Full Version : Sacrifice hits home

thedrifter
07-26-09, 08:28 AM
Sacrifice hits home
By K.C. MYERS
kcmyers@capecodonline.com
July 26, 2009 6:00 AM

Under a hazy blue Delaware sky yesterday, the flag-draped coffin carrying the remains of Marine Cpl. Nicholas Xiarhos of Yarmouthport continued its long journey from Afghanistan back to Cape Cod.

The body of the 21-year-old, who died Thursday of combat wounds while serving in southern Afghanistan, arrived at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware yesterday, where fellow Marines carried his remains during what the military calls a "dignified transfer" process.

The transfers are conducted for all U.S. troops who die while serving their country. When a soldier's remains arrive at the Delaware base, they are moved from an aircraft to a base mortuary.

Xiarhos' body will be flown to Cape Cod later this week, according to family members.

An Associated Press photographer took images of Xiarhos' coffin in Delaware, an event open to the media because he died in the line of duty supporting Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom.

A limousine picked up Xiarhos' parents, Yarmouth police Lt. Steven Xiarhos and his wife, Lisa, around 5 p.m. Friday and took them to T.F. Green Airport in Rhode Island, where they boarded a plane for Dover Air Force Base and planned to greet their son.

Tentative plans for the funeral include a wake at the Dennis-Yarmouth Regional High School, where Nicholas graduated in 2006, as well as a service at St. George Greek Orthodox Church of Cape Cod in Centerville, said Yarmouth fire Capt. Philip Simonian, Nicholas' uncle.

With many local fire and police personnel expected to attend, the services "are going to be huge," Simonian added.

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U5cmh__pmY&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ecapecodonline%2Ecom%2Fapps %2Fpbcs%2Edll%2Farticle%3FAID%3D%2F20090726%2FNEWS %2F907260334%26template%3Dprintart&feature=player_embedded

Ellie

Jlynch31
08-03-09, 03:18 PM
I was there, at the wake and the funeral. Marines, thank you for comming out becasue we came out in force.

Semper Fi
:usmc:

JRHD72
08-03-09, 07:25 PM
My detachment done the L/cpl Lasher funeral. 7-26-09 7-28-09 Oneida N.Y.

egbutler1
08-03-09, 07:30 PM
It makes me sick to see these posts. I wish we could just kill....kill....kill, w/o any casualties but we all know thats impossible. I will morn for this Devil Dog. RIP BRO!