PDA

View Full Version : "The Pacific" coming to HBO

CarolinaMarine
07-25-09, 10:05 PM
Searched but didn't find any threads about it. Anyone seen the previews for this new mini series? Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks are back and making a "brother" of sorts to Band of Brothers. It takes place in the Pacific this time with MARINES as the focus! Looks great, just like Band of Brothers. Hugh Ambrose, the son of the late Stephen Ambrose is also working on the project.

William Sadler will be playing LtGen. Chesty Puller and Jon Seda plays GySgt John Basilone.

Can't wait for this one to come out, check it out.

Semper Fi
<object width="560" height="340">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e99B80crU3E&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></object>

SSgt Ramsey
07-26-09, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the heads-up...this is definitely something I will want to get as a box-set when it comes out on DVD....

I've been watching a lot of stuff on the Pacific Campaign and reading also and it's just horrific stuff....so many moments of extreme heroism that was never recognized....just amazing.

When the journalist coined the WW-II Veteran's as "The Greatest Generation" of people, that was 100% true on all levels...it was a no-holds-barred struggle for survival and there was no second place trophies to be awarded...it was all or nothing.

Now, sadly, with a large majority of these great American's gone and largely forgotten with time, these movies/documentaries are critical so that it is not forgotten by all....it's too important to ever forget....

Some great movies of WW-II I've found were Pearl Harbor and The Memphis Belle....just horrific scenes of what these people did day in, day out...not for glory, not for fame, but for their country, their friends, and their belief in freedom....it's staggering at their courage in the face of what they dealt with.

GIrene
07-26-09, 09:50 AM
Very awesome. I've been waiting on this one since I heard about it years ago. Its historical fact is based primarily around the books "With the Old Breed" by Eugene Sledge and "My Helmet for a Pillow" by Robert Leckie.

CarolinaMarine
07-27-09, 10:23 AM
Eugene Sledge will also be portrayed in this series. Should be a good watch. And maybe something a bit more personal then Band of Brothers. Looking forward to it myself.

ameriken
07-27-09, 10:46 AM
Searched but didn't find any threads about it. Here ya go, started this back in May. I'm surprised the thread didn't take off as this should be the crown jewel of Marine movies.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84348&highlight=pacific

jackson07
07-27-09, 09:58 PM
I think it could easily become the creme de the crop of Marine movies/tv shows. I am very excited for it to start. Have they announced a date yet?

Osotogary
07-28-09, 06:16 PM
The first thing I thought of when I saw this trailer was, " Bloody Tarawa : The 2d Marine Division November 20-23 1943 "by Eric Hammel. To recreate anything that even comes close to what happened during that brutal and heroic beach assault will rival Saving Private Ryan as a big screen presentation.