PDA

View Full Version : Boot Camp Gear

JLjones007
07-25-09, 12:16 AM
What gear are you issued during boot camp? What was the coolest thing or thing you hated most that you were issued?

dizark
07-25-09, 12:40 AM
You get issued a lot of stuff from canteens and gloves to assault packs which is a back pack and Kevlar. I didn't hate the gear really but wasntto fond of our duece gear. The thing I disliked the most was having to stuff billion things inside the assault pack in little to no time. Just another one of those boot camp memories haha.

JLjones007
07-25-09, 12:42 AM
What happened if you lost something because of the lack of time to pack accurately?

dizark
07-25-09, 12:44 AM
Most of the time it would turn up from another recruit as it must have gotten mixed up somehow. I won't tell you how it got mixed up or how it was found. That's a game you have to experience for yourself. If gear was honestly missing one of our drill instructors magically aquired the gear another day. Point is... Don't lose your gear. Always have good gear accountability.

JLjones007
07-25-09, 01:01 AM
Thanks Marine

Donut Brigade
07-25-09, 02:27 AM
The gear was pretty good, at least for boot camp. I have to say I HATED having that stupid war belt with canteens though. It would be so much easier if everyone had a camelbak. It's one part of the boot memory that will never leave: having to drink lukewarm tap water out of **** stained canteens for 3 months.

Also, I had a kevlar that was two sizes too big with no chin strap the whole time. I had to fix it every three steps because it kept sliding down my face.

Having a hip strap on my ILBE pack would have been nice too, especially on the Reaper hike. God, my shoulders were hurting!

Sgt Leprechaun
07-25-09, 03:26 AM
I had a Vietnam era Chrome Dome that was nice and sweaty. Does that count?

Leftover 782 gear from the same time period.....

LOL

Contrary to popular opine, I did NOT rec'v a sword and sheild.

ecom
07-25-09, 05:07 AM
The catridge belt with the two canteens were really annoying, but necessary. It can be hard to snap open and closed plus it moves around a lot. I found them difficult to use while on the move. If you go to San Diego, the water there has a unique slightly salty taste to it. All the tap water in SD I've had is like that though. I guess it's all the effluent that needs to be treated from up river.

I think the thing that I disliked the most were the flip flops. I never liked wearing them and still don't like wearing flip flops because I find it hard to walk and try to keep the things on my feet. I noticed that my gait changes when I wear flip flops.

Pete0331
07-25-09, 07:25 AM
What gear are you issued during boot camp? What was the coolest thing or thing you hated most that you were issued?

Everything gear wise that I was issued in Boot Camp was late 80's early 90's vintage.
Except some of the canteen cups we had were from the 40's-50's.
782 style LBV, war belt, fuzzy canteen pouches, ALICE pack, and all that jazz.
This was in 2002.

In ITB I had the pleasure of being introduced to Ms. MOLLE.
She was ok, but you never forget your first.
I'll always remember the first time I got to hump ALICE.
She liked it rough.
I defiantly had some bruising on my back.
ALICE will always have a place near my heart. :marine:

Honestly, I could go out and spend $50,000 and get better gear then what they issue now, but what they do issue gets the job done at the bare minimum.

ameriken
07-25-09, 08:48 AM
What happened if you lost something because of the lack of time to pack accurately?

I remember after qualifying with the M16, they took us to another range for some 'live fire'. Like a dipsh*t, I left my earplugs behind at the barracks. I explained to the Drill Instructor that I had no earplugs, and his response was "Oh well".

I was half-deaf in one ear for several days after that.

JLjones007
07-25-09, 09:01 AM
I remember after qualifying with the M16, they took us to another range for some 'live fire'. Like a dipsh*t, I left my earplugs behind at the barracks. I explained to the Drill Instructor that I had no earplugs, and his response was "Oh well".

I was half-deaf in one ear for several days after that.

Wow. That Sucked!!

ameriken
07-25-09, 09:07 AM
Wow. That Sucked!!
Yeah, it kinda worried me, but I was more worried about whining to the DI about it than I was putting up with being 1/2 deaf in that ear!

Supersquishy
07-25-09, 09:07 AM
: having to drink lukewarm tap water out of **** stained canteens for 3 months.

!
Funny thing is I still drink water out of the tap luke warm, I can no longer stand it cold unless Im dying of the heat. Even bottled water needs to be room temp.

dizark
07-25-09, 12:10 PM
I love my Camelbak. When I got to MCT and we finally got to use one, it was the greatest thing since sliced bread for me. Being forced to drink out of nasty canteens for 4.5 months wasn't that much fun. Running with a camelbak on for hydration is good stuff! :)

Qwarkeh
07-25-09, 01:38 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason why they didn't give us one of those in Boot was because of how many idiots would squirt each other with it. As a whole they're so much better for hydration. Quick and easy, no screwing and unscrewing caps, and you can't exactly drop it!

tangovictor87
07-25-09, 01:38 PM
I love my Camelbak. When I got to MCT and we finally got to use one, it was the greatest thing since sliced bread for me. Being forced to drink out of nasty canteens for 4.5 months wasn't that much fun. Running with a camelbak on for hydration is good stuff! :)

we didnt get camelbaks until MOS school. i remember one kid used his canteen as a spitoon at camp day. the plt sgt made him drink it:sick:

Supersquishy
07-25-09, 01:40 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason why they didn't give us one of those in Boot was because of how many idiots would squirt each other with it. As a whole they're so much better for hydration. Quick and easy, no screwing and unscrewing caps, and you can't exactly drop it!

Next time you take your camelpack apart in the next year or two, take the bladder out and see if its still blue....LOL chances are it is brown just like Boot canteens were. Its really mind over matter, after awhile you get used to drinking out of the facet.

CarolinaMarine
07-25-09, 01:48 PM
Do they still use those POS flaks for BWT? Those that are stacked like to the roof of that barn/shed? Those sucked...

Most bootcamp gear sucked when i was there. Everything was falling apart. The rifles too, you could feel how loose the upper and lower receivers were just carrying it around.

Donut Brigade
07-25-09, 02:26 PM
Do they still use those POS flaks for BWT? Those that are stacked like to the roof of that barn/shed? Those sucked...

Most bootcamp gear sucked when i was there. Everything was falling apart. The rifles too, you could feel how loose the upper and lower receivers were just carrying it around.

They do. There was even a cousin equivalent of that shed in Pendleton.

Supersquishy
07-25-09, 02:29 PM
I loved getting the ones that were too big, the velcro was worn out, and the flak itself all soaking wet...Good Times, I'd do it all over again, but without the 1/2 ice sheets in the half frozen mud.