PDA

View Full Version : My Son's MMA Buddy (in white shorts)

jetdawgg
07-24-09, 12:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JHD93Xki8A&eurl=http://www.youtube.com/user/MartialArtsMadness&feature=player_profilepage

Trucrimsongold
07-24-09, 02:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JHD93Xki8A&eurl=http://www.youtube.com/user/MartialArtsMadness&feature=player_profilepage
I took Tae Kwon Do (korean karate) for years and it's an excellent sport as well as art form. Just too much kicking! Most of this Korean form is kicks and blocks with occasional back fist. This guy didn't loose because of the form, he lost because he was out of gas after delivering all those big kicks. If the guy in the Black ever got his ground game together and worked big time on his cardio he would be devestating. Not to take anything away from your sons buddy. He was like a python in there taking advantage and never letting up. Very good fight. Your Son must be proud of his friend. thanks for the link, that was the best fight ive seen in a long time.

Alisium
07-24-09, 02:28 PM
Sweet vid, JD.

Okay, so is your son in MMA or just his friend?

jetdawgg
07-24-09, 07:04 PM
Just his buddy. My son plays Baseball and is in college. He is talking more now about the Marines:usmc:

He does have a 3.38 GPA

jetdawgg
07-24-09, 07:11 PM
I took Tae Kwon Do (korean karate) for years and it's an excellent sport as well as art form. Just too much kicking! Most of this Korean form is kicks and blocks with occasional back fist. This guy didn't loose because of the form, he lost because he was out of gas after delivering all those big kicks. If the guy in the Black ever got his ground game together and worked big time on his cardio he would be devestating. Not to take anything away from your sons buddy. He was like a python in there taking advantage and never letting up. Very good fight. Your Son must be proud of his friend. thanks for the link, that was the best fight ive seen in a long time.

I studied Jeet Kun Do before I became a Marine.

The guy did lose because he ran out of gas. He is not a hard worker yet. Needs some real training. My sons buddy saw how tired he was and took advantage of it immediately.

In my first viewing of the fight I was with my son and I told him when the guy got tired and showed it.

Good fight and they were really going at it. That's they way we fight in NYC particularly the Bronx and Harlem:usmc:

Warbyrd13
07-24-09, 08:23 PM
I took Tae Kwon Do as a kid for about 8 months. Wrestled in High School and did some fighting as a kid. Just normal fighting in school that kids do.

When I joined my buddy was a Golden Glove boxer and showed me a couple things. My Squad Leader was a Golden Glove boxer, CCI and he showed me a few things. Another guy in the unit was Golden Gloves and he taught me a few tricks also. Those were very painful lessons in hand to hand combat. Buddy was featherweight, Ewing was middle and the Sgt was more about power hits and he could take a hit.

Sanford studied JKD and was a huge Bruce Lee fan. Another guy named Nick was MMA before it became popular and all of us would get together and learn from each other on hand to hand combat. It was some good times with some bruises and sometimes a little blood.

This thread brings back some good memories of Marines just sharing what they know on fighting and how to apply it in combat.

jetdawgg
07-25-09, 12:37 AM
Warbyrd13,

I also am a huge Bruce Lee fan myself. Took JKD for 2 years 13-15. While a lot of my then so called buddies were doing some bad things, I was learning the arts and playing ball along with studying.

Didn't have time for much else then.

Had some good fights growing up myself in the Bronx and Harlem. Lots of gangs in NYC back then. NYC is a walking city so going to school was a lot of fun. Different blocks had different gangs so I would choose a new one to pick with each day of the week:D

As you may have guessed, I also ran track:D

SF

beungood
08-11-09, 09:16 PM
I started in Taekwondo when I was but a young lad in the Marines. He was an old school teacher who trained us alot with our hands before we kicked . Was a very good art and incredible teacher. I then ets'd and moved home where I trained in Hapkido for 25 years. I eventually learned Pekiti-tirsia Kali and Muay Thai when I waslate 30's. We had a kid there who was a budding MMA guy so when he was getting close to his compeition, we amped the training up. Being a cop being on the ground is DEATH so I learned to stay up. So we had a sharing of knowledge and I learned to defend on the ground and learned my limtis and the feeling of being put out. It's alot of fun ,but, I WISH I WAS 20 YEARS YOUNGER! OOOOORAH!

Warbyrd13
08-13-09, 11:13 AM
Warbyrd13,

I also am a huge Bruce Lee fan myself. Took JKD for 2 years 13-15. While a lot of my then so called buddies were doing some bad things, I was learning the arts and playing ball along with studying.

Didn't have time for much else then.

Had some good fights growing up myself in the Bronx and Harlem. Lots of gangs in NYC back then. NYC is a walking city so going to school was a lot of fun. Different blocks had different gangs so I would choose a new one to pick with each day of the week:D

As you may have guessed, I also ran track:D

SF

JD,

I ran track for a couple years also. Then they tried to get me to join cross country becuase of my dad. Always thought it as dumb to run more than a half mile until I got into DEP. When the cross country coach found asked me what my run time was for 1.5 miles he was mad that I wouldn't join the team. Ah good times.

I own the Tao of Bruce Lee and several books on JKD. Sanford taught us some basic stuff on JKD. Sagan taught us some basic ground fighting before CCI started using ground fighting. Jackson and Capo were golden gloves. Green and I wrestled, streetfought some and some Karate for Green and TKD/self defense training for me.

Of course the system we had before MCMAP is better IMO. They broke down the line training where it was more how to build your own combo with these strikes, throws, sweeps and armbars ect. This was a better system than MCMAP.