PDA

View Full Version : Need help to enlist

Braddock08
07-24-09, 12:48 PM
Hello Everybody,
My name is Dennis and I am currently trying to enlist. I have been told that the Marine Corps have been tightening up on the new recruits and does not have very many spots right now. Those that have already sighned their contracts are being asked to wait until April of next year. I was told by my recruiter that if I can get few letters of recommendations I stand a higher chance of leaving earlier. If any of you would be willing to do this for me, I would be very greatful. Below is my background. I would be more then happy to chat with all of you individually and even speak on the phone. I would greatly appreciate if any of you would be willing to help me out.

I am 21 years old, I have another year left at school. I have been working the same management job since I was 18 and have been living on my own ever since as well. I have no criminal background at all. I do not use any drugs. I have scored in the 70's on the ASVAB. I do not have any health conditions at all. My father was a Navy officer for 28 years and now works for DOD. I am fluent in Russian and currently studying Arabic(trying to). I would like to enlist under an intel MOS and eventually become an officer. I would like to dedicate myself to the Marine Corps and possibly retire. I have been thinking of becoming a Marine for 4 years now and I am convinced that this is what I want to do. I have some friends that are my Marines and I am also getting a letter of recommendation from a DI that served for 28 years at Parris Island.
This pretty much covers my basic background, if you would like to help out, please contact me and I can tell you more about myself. All and any help or recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thank you all for taking your time to read this.

MicMarine
07-24-09, 12:56 PM
First, try your proffesors at college, cerlgy, former employer, and anyone that holds a title besides garbageman. Your dad should know someone that still has rank, have him do it for you. I wouldn't expect Marines to write a letter for a stranger, I know I will not. It's my word, and I don't know you. Keep your head up, keep focused, and you should just try OCS if you can not get a slot into Recruit Training. PM with any other question.

MicMarine OUT!

Braddock08
07-24-09, 01:00 PM
I was told by the recruiter that the reference has to come from a Marine. They wouldnt accept my dad's because he was in the Navy. Most of his friends are DOD federal employees and most are out of the service. I currently have two references, one from a long time DI and another from an enlisted Marine. I am currently executing all of my options and figured I would at least give it a shot to post here. I appreciate your response and will be asking around some more. If anyone cares to get to know me a little I would be happy to chat. Thank you.

OB MSG
07-24-09, 01:20 PM
I would say that your dad's Letter would not be accepted because, well, he's your dad. They would expect him to sing your praises, not shoot you down in a hail of flack. He's a retired Naval Officer, that's not to shabby, nor is it something that is scoffed at simply because he was Navy.

GyC
07-24-09, 01:55 PM
Hello Everybody,
My name is Dennis and I am currently trying to enlist. I have been told that the Marine Corps have been tightening up on the new recruits and does not have very many spots right now. Those that have already sighned their contracts are being asked to wait until April of next year. I was told by my recruiter that if I can get few letters of recommendations I stand a higher chance of leaving earlier. If any of you would be willing to do this for me, I would be very greatful. Below is my background. I would be more then happy to chat with all of you individually and even speak on the phone. I would greatly appreciate if any of you would be willing to help me out.

I am 21 years old, I have another year left at school. I have been working the same management job since I was 18 and have been living on my own ever since as well. I have no criminal background at all. I do not use any drugs. I have scored in the 70's on the ASVAB. I do not have any health conditions at all. My father was a Navy officer for 28 years and now works for DOD. I am fluent in Russian and currently studying Arabic(trying to). I would like to enlist under an intel MOS and eventually become an officer. I would like to dedicate myself to the Marine Corps and possibly retire. I have been thinking of becoming a Marine for 4 years now and I am convinced that this is what I want to do. I have some friends that are my Marines and I am also getting a letter of recommendation from a DI that served for 28 years at Parris Island.
This pretty much covers my basic background, if you would like to help out, please contact me and I can tell you more about myself. All and any help or recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thank you all for taking your time to read this.

Why do you require a waiver?? You have not provided your entire background, for sure...

Sgt Leprechaun
07-25-09, 03:37 AM
Never heard of this one, either.

And, quite frankly, asking a bunch of strangers on an internet site for a reference really isn't well thought out, either. Because what are we going to honestly say? We don't know you, can't judge your ability to be a Marine, much less a good one, and will certainly not lie for you. Even if you found someone here to write such a letter, how the heck would it read? "Dear Recruiter, Baraddock08 asked me to write this, I just met him on the internet and he wants to be a Marine. Can you let him in?"

That would get laughed out of the recruiting office.

GyC
07-25-09, 06:28 AM
No ****... I'll give you a letter of reference, with no information...:p:thumbdown

thewookie
07-25-09, 06:42 AM
Hello Everybody,

You're kidding, right?

Ask your clergy, teachers and teacher administrators like principals, local law enforcement - professionals like that, who either know you, or have had direct contact with you for a recommendation letter. If you bring in something from people you found on the Internet they will laugh you out of the office.

Be patient, if you want it that bad waiting six months or a year is nothing.

Good luck.