PDA

View Full Version : An extra special delivery

thedrifter
07-24-09, 07:54 AM
An extra special delivery

Dad watches birth of daughter via videocamera from Iraq

By Tom Held of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: July 23, 2009

Even from more than 6,000 miles away, Marine Sgt. Gus Hazelton can see that his newborn baby girl resembles him.

The tiny dark eyes and shock of black hair peeking out from her mother's arms match his own features.

Otherwise, she's perfect.

Hazelton and his wife, Melissa, were able to share that bit of a joke Thursday via a video teleconference beamed across a satellite network provided by the Freedom Calls Foundation. Established in September 2003, the national nonprofit group has helped soldiers at war in Iraq and Afghanistan watch their sons and daughters being born, graduate from high school and celebrate birthdays.

For the Hazeltons, the technology allowed Gus to watch and coach Melissa from a Marine Corps base in Al Asad, while she gave birth to Lilianna in the Aurora West Allis Medical Center on Wednesday afternoon.

Melissa, a West Allis Central High School graduate, went into labor about 9 a.m. Gus logged onto the Internet about 1 p.m. CST and saw his new baby girl - all 9 pounds 6 ounces - arrive about 3:40 p.m.

"I was surprised how quick it was," the proud father said via the teleconference connected again on Thursday. "I think (Melissa) did very well. She was tough."

Lilianna's mother and father were both serving in the Marines when they met in Cherry Point, N.C., home of the Marine Wing Support Group 271. Gus Hazelton was with Melissa for the birth of their son, Colton Tyler, now 1, but his deployment to Iraq in March kept him far away during her second pregnancy.

The separation has been tough for the young couple, both 25.

When Gus Hazelton left North Carolina, Colton was starting to eat baby food. He's since moved on to hot dogs, and Gus is looking forward to taking him for ice cream.

The Internet connection on Wednesday helped bridge the gap, somewhat, but watching on a computer screen can't replace being there.

As Gus put it, watching left him "happy and sad."

"I wanted to be there for it, but obviously it was my job, and I had to deploy," he said. "You try not to deal with it until you get back."

Still a bit worn from the hours of labor, Melissa was simply happy that her husband could hear their daughter the first time she cried, and that he could see how much she looked like him.

With a smile in her blue eyes, she said, "I'm out of luck on that one."

To learn about Freedom Calls Foundation, go to www.freedomcalls.org/about.html.

Ellie